Can I get all the coolant out of my van......And ...go! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Can I get all the coolant out of my van......And ...go!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 AM
humphrey169's Avatar
humphrey169 humphrey169 is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 464
humphrey169 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Can I get all the coolant out of my van......And ...go!

Argue here, not there.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:21 AM
fordman75 fordman75 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South central, Minnesota
Posts: 4,361
fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
By just draining the system, no. There will always be some left in the block and heater system ( depending on the vehicle ) .

By flushing the system, yes.

Drain the system, get as much coolant as possible out. Then flush it with water. If you are worried you didn't get all the coolant out. Then fill the system with straight water, drive and repeat.

Drain the system. If you are concerned about the water you can also use low pressure air to blow thru the system. This will get more water out.

But a little straight water is not going to throw the mixture off enough to be a problem. And once refilled and ran for a little bit, you can check the coolant with a tester.

That being said. If you are in a cold weather climate you have to do this when it's warm enough out. You don't want that straight water freezing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:43 AM
Im50fast's Avatar
Im50fast Im50fast is online now
Just Wannabe Acknowledged
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,237
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Iíve been thinking lately about changing my coolant... I changed my spark plugs at 315,000 miles and learned that they are factory originals. I bet my coolant is also.

I dont even even know where to start
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2017, 01:01 PM
vettex2 vettex2 is offline
Temporarily Deactivated
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,042
vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.vettex2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
By just draining the system, no. There will always be some left in the block and heater system ( depending on the vehicle ) .

By flushing the system, yes.

Drain the system, get as much coolant as possible out. Then flush it with water. If you are worried you didn't get all the coolant out. Then fill the system with straight water, drive and repeat.

Drain the system. If you are concerned about the water you can also use low pressure air to blow thru the system. This will get more water out.

But a little straight water is not going to throw the mixture off enough to be a problem. And once refilled and ran for a little bit, you can check the coolant with a tester.

That being said. If you are in a cold weather climate you have to do this when it's warm enough out. You don't want that straight water freezing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:45 PM
NICKSAN NICKSAN is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 325
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was never able to get all the coolant out of my 1970 Beetle.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:07 PM
fordman75 fordman75 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South central, Minnesota
Posts: 4,361
fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKSAN View Post
I was never able to get all the coolant out of my 1970 Beetle.
I bet you forgot to let the air out of the tires, didn't you? If it's air cooled then the air in the tires could be considered coolant.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 AM
jayro88 jayro88 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,558
jayro88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would think that you could just drain it all out, but if you did a few cycles of drain, add water, drain, add water (maybe some Prestone flush while you are at it) You would be able to dilute the original coolant down to the point where it is a non-factor.

If there is a way to test for the presence of the coolant (maybe some kind of test strips) do an experiment and report back......pretty much the only way to put this to bed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:27 PM
NICKSAN NICKSAN is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 325
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
I bet you forgot to let the air out of the tires, didn't you? If it's air cooled then the air in the tires could be considered coolant.
Yes, and spark plug #6 was really hard to get to, but I got it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 PM
fordman75 fordman75 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South central, Minnesota
Posts: 4,361
fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.fordman75 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKSAN View Post
Yes, and spark plug #6 was really hard to get to, but I got it.
What did the glove box door get stuck shut? That's usually where I keep my spare plugs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:52 PM
NICKSAN NICKSAN is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 325
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman75 View Post
What did the glove box door get stuck shut? That's usually where I keep my spare plugs.
LOL, on a serious note, I miss my bug, It was a baja bug and I built it from scratch.

If I ever win the lottery or work up the courage to rob a bank I am going to build another one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Stewart_H's Avatar
Stewart_H Stewart_H is offline
The Nekkid Super Mod
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central Coast of CA
Posts: 26,244
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKSAN View Post
I was never able to get all the coolant out of my 1970 Beetle.
This is a Ford forum, not an Entomology forum!

Kidding aside, all y'all can disagree all ya want, but don't let the disagreements cause flaming like it did in the other thread I cleaned.

Stewart
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM
NICKSAN NICKSAN is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 325
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
This is a Ford forum, not an Entomology forum!


Ouch..... Nice one.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.