Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Gtp38 with 1.0 exhaust housing vs gtp38r

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Gtp38 with 1.0 exhaust housing vs gtp38r

Anyone go from a stock turbo that they swapped the .84 exhaust housing to a 1.0 and ran for some time then upgrade to a gtp38r? Most gtp38r reviews I have seen came from people that had the stock exhaust housing on the stock turbo before.

my understanding is that the gtp38r has a 1.0 exhaust housing. I am wondering if a gtp38r will be much better than what I currently am running. (Gtp38 with spturboost compressor wheel and banks 1.0 exhaust housing) I noticed a huge difference when I went to the 1.0 exhaust housing and am wondering if that is the big part of the magic with the gtp38r?

TLDR I'm thinking about buying a gtp38r for a good price and am not sure how much of an upgrade it would be

Is it possible to have my signature show when posting from my phone?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:59 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I haven't seen the signature be able to show when posting from a phone. I can't speak to the difference going from the stock housing equipped turbo then the 1.0, then 38R. I have gone from stock with WW gen 1 with S&B intake and 160/30's to the 38R. There is a LARGE difference between the 2. The intake on the 38R is a full inch bigger, more air in, more air out. It really REALLY woke the truck up.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:40 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
The intake on the 38R is a full inch bigger.
6mm actually

Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
6mm actually
Really?? It's only a 1/4 inch bigger???

Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
The intake tubing is certainly more than 6mm bigger. The compressor wheel is 6mm larger but that housing is a full inch bigger than the stock unit.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
The inducer diameter is all that matters. Actually, a small amount of gain one would get from the 66mm over 60mm inducer is lost with the "map enhancing" ported housing losses. The added diameter of the intake tube does NOT add anything to how much air the turbo takes in.

This is an HT60 from an N14 Cummins with a 5" inlet for a similar concept.

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
I understand what you are saying Cletus.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM
jr2000sd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a stock Turbo with a Wicked Wheel and a 1.00 non wastegated housing I just ordered a kit to convert my Turbo basically into a 38r, kinda like the diy kit that riff-raff and KC turbo sells, but only paid $300 for everything. I will be getting the parts tomorrow and installing them after work I will post back to let you know the difference it makes

Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jr2000sd
I have a stock Turbo with a Wicked Wheel and a 1.00 non wastegated housing I just ordered a kit to convert my Turbo basically into a 38r, kinda like the diy kit that riff-raff and KC turbo sells, but only paid $300 for everything. I will be getting the parts tomorrow and installing them after work I will post back to let you know the difference it makes
It is somewhere between highly unlikely and impossible that you purchased a kit to "convert my Turbo basically into a 38r". One of the biggest benefits of the 38R ( as well as the KC38R) is that they are a ball bearing design, as opposed to the stock journal bearing. Any kit that "converts" a stock turbo to something like a 38R would require a replacement center housing and shaft/turbine, in order to make it a ball bearing design. As far as I know, no such conversion exists. If it did/does, I seriously doubt it would only cost $300.

What you may have purchased is a kit to install a larger compressor wheel and housing. This was commonly referred to as a D66. It may be somewhat better then a stock turbo, under certain conditions, but it is not anything at all like a 38R or a KC38R. In fact, trying to drive the larger compressor wheel with the stock turbine may actually result in a loss of performance, as you may experience more lag. Even more so when combined with the 1.00 exhaust housing, and further so if one were to use this combo on a manual trans truck ( which already has a hard time keeping the turbo spooled between shifts.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:32 PM
jr2000sd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes exactly which is why I use the word basically as in all of the same besides the ball bearing I didn't think I had to specify

Old 01-24-2024, 07:05 PM
BridgeMonkey
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Resurrection, it exists

Old 01-24-2024, 09:09 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,619 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeMonkey
Resurrection, it exists
But what was the point? You shared no information nor asked a question.
What was the purpose of resurrecting a 7 year old thread just to say it was resurrected?

Old 01-25-2024, 01:17 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
But what was the point? You shared no information nor asked a question.
What was the purpose of resurrecting a 7 year old thread just to say it was resurrected?
BridgeMonkey's point was to counter carguy3j's assertion upthread, quoted again below.

Originally Posted by carguy3j
It is somewhere between highly unlikely and impossible that you purchased a kit to "convert my Turbo basically into a 38r". One of the biggest benefits of the 38R ( as well as the KC38R) is that they are a ball bearing design, as opposed to the stock journal bearing. Any kit that "converts" a stock turbo to something like a 38R would require a replacement center housing and shaft/turbine, in order to make it a ball bearing design. As far as I know, no such conversion exists. If it did/does, I seriously doubt it would only cost $300.
To which BridgeMonkey responded:

Originally Posted by BridgeMonkey
Resurrection, it exists

All 5 of BridgeMonkey's posts have related to turbos, three of which posted a link to a ball bearing CHRA by Pulsar, one of several names in the aftermarket turbo replacement market (eg Sun Top High Tech Manufacturing, Industrial Turbo, Pulsar Turbo Systems) all headquartered in Jiangsu, China.

A number of US based vendors (some of whom are widely known) import turbos and turbo parts originating from Jiangsu, and resell them here, typically under their own brand names.

Chinese business culture has fostered a marketing concept best known by the acronyms "KOL" and "KOC." (Key Opinion Leaders, Key Opinion Consumers).

The principle behind KOC is that a consumer is provided with a product in exchange for agreeing to talk about that product, thus leading other consumer opinions about the product. If the company talked about the product, other consumers might dismiss that as advertising. But if a key opinion leading consumer talks about the product, the company hopes that might be perceived more favorably by other consumers.

And the company would be correct. I've witnessed this process of pre-meditated peer to pear influence employed quite effectively here on FTE.

The FTE Site Guidelines calls it "cheerleading," and forbids it.

Yet it is perhaps one of the least enforced guidelines, as every member is always afforded the benefit of the doubt, even in situations were it appears that the intent of every post is to promote the same product.

Yet, what if the intent was simply to share an overwhelming excitement about the product, or an unbelievably good deal in resolution of a well known common issue, etc. Our forum's last name is, after all, "Enthusiasts", so it is perfectly understandable for members to be enthusiastic. We want to encourage that enthusiasm to become contagious.

That enthusiasm is what led most of us to join FTE. That or frustration with Fords. Perhaps more the latter, now that I think of it.

It is equally understandable for members to be cynical, regarding certain posts with particular traits with some circumspection.

It all balances out in the end.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-25-2024, 06:55 AM
BridgeMonkey
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can 100% assure you I am not a cheerleader for a Chinese turbo manufacturer. And I take no offense.
I simply want to share information on a product I did not know existed and couldn't find any information about, prior to my purchase. I'm more than happy to build my truck on a budget, because I don't have money to blow. I build bridges for a living, hence my name, a dirt guy always called our division bridgemonkeys, so I endearingly embraced it. These trucks are over 20 years old and all the parts are still incredibly expensive from some manufacturers. If I can save someone else a dime, mission accomplished.

I do all my own work on my truck and take pride and joy in it. The frustrating times all become worth it when you hit the road. Yesterday I installed rear drop shackles, I knew going into it from research that the lower bolts would be a PITA. Plasma is my friend.

​​

Old 01-25-2024, 11:28 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Dirt guys are just jealous that bridge monkeys get paid more... and are noted for how well they hang.

Which is not like those spring hangars... or a lot more motorists would be dead.

Quick Reply: Gtp38 with 1.0 exhaust housing vs gtp38r