Motor oil leak between pwr steering pump and block, 5.4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Motor oil leak between pwr steering pump and block, 5.4

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 11-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Ed_P
New User
Ed_P is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi........first time F-250 owner and first time here chasing fixes.

I changed the gasket between the oil cooler and block, thinking that was the source, but it wasn't. So, after repeatedly cleaning the area and getting all the built up oil and grime off, I finally saw fresh oil dripping off one of the lower bolts on the back side of the powering steering pump. The oil is coming from a source between the pwr steering pump and the block. What the hell is back there? I can't make it out. I'm going through a quart of motor oil in 500 miles.....definitely not pwr steering fluid.

Any ideas..........?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Could be front timing cover, which is the whole front of the engine. Or a bad sealing surface on the oil filter adapter. You may need to use RTV on that gasket.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Ed_P
New User
Front timing cover. I'll look at that. The problem is........the leak is coming from behind the pwr steering pump-----between it and the block------, so I can't get a good view. Whatever it is, anything down in that area looks to be a difficult fix.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
If the gasket you changed didn't look like this, then this is the one you need to change. Otherwise, cracked oil filter adapter, leaky or cracked timing cover, or cracked block.

oil filter adapter gasket to engine block.
The biggest hole is the coolant inlet to the block, the next 2 biggest holes are to the oil filter and optional oil cooler if so equipped. The other holes are bolt holes.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If the gasket you changed didn't look like this, then this is the one you need to change. Otherwise, cracked oil filter adapter, leaky or cracked timing cover, or cracked block.

oil filter adapter gasket to engine block.
The biggest hole is the coolant inlet to the block, the next 2 biggest holes are to the oil filter and optional oil cooler if so equipped. The other holes are bolt holes.
I believe the OP stated he already changed that gasket, if I understood his statement correctly here:
Originally Posted by Ed_P View Post
I changed the gasket between the oil cooler and block, thinking that was the source, but it wasn't.
You're not going to like my answer, but by what you describe, sounds like your driver side head gasket is leaking oil. The area of the leak is exactly where the high pressure oil feed is located for the lube oil to the driver side valvetrain components.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation

The area circled in the picture above, is where the high pressure oil feed is situated, for the driver side cylinder head gasket to give you an idea where I'm going with this.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
And that is why I put "if".
He says he changed the "oil cooler" gasket. That could mean the O-ring on the cooler itself. The one I pictured is called the "oil filter adapter" gasket. And it sits behind the power steering pump where he says the leak is coming from.
If the leak were head gasket or valve cover gasket I would expect there to be evidence of oil from above that area vs
after repeatedly cleaning the area and getting all the built up oil and grime off, I finally saw fresh oil dripping off one of the lower bolts on the back side of the powering steering pump. The oil is coming from a source between the pwr steering pump and the block.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Raymond
Senior User
Raymond is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had similar problem. I changed the gasket only to find out the leak was actually coming from the oil cooler. Corrosion to the oil cooler was causing the leak and needed to be replaced.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Ed_P
New User
To be more clear, the "oil filter adaptor gasket" pictured is the one I changed. That also turns out to be significantly to the rear of the leak. The leak is clearly coming from the driver's side up front, behind the pwr steering pump, and definitely above the oil pan gasket.

M-chan68........"the driver side cylinder head gasket to give you an idea where I'm going with this." This doesn't sound good. The motor may be running great at 180,000 miles, but I imagine the cost to have this repaired is steep. It's a repair beyond me, so that means $100/hr. Rats......!!

Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
I've been into more than my share of replacing head gaskets on these engines through my years with turning wrenches on Ford's, but to be honest most of them have been the passenger side head gaskets leaking oil from the back of the engine (where the high pressure oil feed is for the passenger side bank of cylinders). I've seen far fewer of them leaking from the driver's side, but I have seen them nonetheless. If you do choose to proceed with this repair, I would definitely have the head gasket surface of the head checked for flatness.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Ed_P
New User
How about if I just keep adding a quart every 500 miles and forget about it? The job appears to be $2500-$3500. At 180,000 miles that makes no sense.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
my 2004 leaks at both heads...passenger rear and drivers front. Been this way for a few years, its not bad enough to loose more than a half quart of oil in 3k miles. i simple green the block ever oil change to keep it all nice and shiny LOL
Will say this is really poor of ford since the same problem has been happening since 1991 when the 4.6 was introduced and they made ZERO updates to fix it

Old 11-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Ed_P
New User
I was going to attach a 45 second video that shows the oil dripping off the back/bottom of the pwr steering pump, but the file size is too big (100MB). The limit is 5MB.

The oil clearly isn't coming from the head or valve cover gaskets. I got a clear look at the area below them and it's dry. The oil is coming from just below and in front of the coolant hose going into the block. So the suspect area is between the "block side" of the pwr steering pump and this coolant intake. That is an area where part of the timing cover is hidden, but the leak appears to be aft of that anyway. Any further ideas?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Mike1
Posting Guru
Mike1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was going to attach a 45 second video that shows the oil dripping off the back/bottom of the pwr steering pump, but the file size is too big (100MB). The limit is 5MB.

The oil clearly isn't coming from the head or valve cover gaskets. I got a clear look at the area below them and it's dry. The oil is coming from just below and in front of the coolant hose going into the block. So the suspect area is between the "block side" of the pwr steering pump and this coolant intake. That is an area where part of the timing cover is hidden, but the leak appears to be aft of that anyway. Any further ideas?
I guess you could post your video to youtube and share the link., I'd be interested considering I have some oil in that area I haven't been able to find where it's coming from either, my leak isn't as bad though, I don't have to add oil.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
Oil pressure switch???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor oil leak between pwr steering pump and block, 5.4

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.