High boost - no pull - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

High boost - no pull

Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Way to follow up your post PIC !!

Haven't had this hat on yet but I learned alot on this post should it.

Thanx for your time.

Denny

Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 PM
Picton
Senior User
Picton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Way to follow up your post PIC !!

Haven't had this hat on yet but I learned alot on this post should it.

Thanx for your time.

Denny
Denny...been prowling around like an alley cat. Can't tell by your post if you're giving me ****. I imagine you are. Well deserved. I have learned some things recently.

Changed the tune back to the Torque Technologies tune that let me know there was nothing wrong with the turbos. Going to check the Torque Tech stock tune...never did before. I'll see how it acts. Hopefully well.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Hope that is the case. No Sarcastic slangish thing meant. I'm old school 7.3 and this is a new litter box for me as well. I hope that you do land it solid. I'm studying this forum like a nile gator during the migration period.

Keep us informed, so much to learn and this is the place to school up!

Salute!

Denny

Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
Hope that is the case. No Sarcastic slangish thing meant. I'm old school 7.3 and this is a new litter box for me as well. I hope that you do land it solid. I'm studying this forum like a nile gator during the migration period.

Keep us informed, so much to learn and this is the place to school up!

Salute!

Denny
Denny...Cheers my friend. Continuing to monitor/contribute to this thread like a monitor lizard.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:25 PM
sparky923
New User
sparky923 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I noticed this the most right after I did the egr delete, and always in cold temps. I wish I knew everything that causes high boosts situations other than the iat, map, and ebp sensors. I’ve reflashed numerous times.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by sparky923 View Post
I noticed this the most right after I did the egr delete, and always in cold temps. I wish I knew everything that causes high boosts situations other than the iat, map, and ebp sensors. Iíve reflashed numerous times.
I hear you on that brother.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:51 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Post Fiend
CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
I have an Insight CTS monitor and can monitor both Turbo Boost and the Exhaust Back Pressure. In the mornings when cold, the EBP will go to over 50lbs real easy while only making 20lbs of boost. Once warmed up, both of those numbers will run pretty close together when going up hills and such. My truck is deleted and tuned.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn View Post
I have an Insight CTS monitor and can monitor both Turbo Boost and the Exhaust Back Pressure. In the mornings when cold, the EBP will go to over 50lbs real easy while only making 20lbs of boost. Once warmed up, both of those numbers will run pretty close together when going up hills and such. My truck is deleted and tuned.
Interesting. I have a Spartan NDash (Patriot Diagnostics) that can monitor those values as well. Need to see how mine acts. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 AM
sparky923
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn View Post
I have the original edge insight and it doesnít measure exhaust back pressure unfortunately. I really think the high boost is solely related to egr delete and type of tune for the most part. I may be wrong but I believe the egr system acts as a wastegate and when you remove it you may get higher ebp readings.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 PM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
l have been running 15w40 in my truck not knowing any better. This last change I schooled myself and switched over to 10w30. I noticed I was down on oil substantially and so I got poking around and found out that one of my turbo seals is leaking. The lower intercooler boot had a small puddle in it.

I don't know if the turbo on its way out was related to my high boost issues, but I do know that once I have finished my twin turbo cummins swap my high boost low power issue should be gone...

Old 02-15-2018, 06:15 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
10w30 eh

I'm your huckleberry, and at your same latitude. What made you switch to that grade if I may?

Very, very curious.

Denny

Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 PM
sparky923
New User
Who wants to put their stock air filter on and see if that affects high boosts? It may sound crazy, but I’m going to try it this weekend.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 AM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The local Ford dealership recommended it. It is the closest to 5w40 in a non synthetic oil. It is substantially thinner than 15w40 when cold and I immediately noticed a difference in the sound of the engine. Being non synthetic it is far cheaper to buy than the oem spec 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic.

I am running the stock air filter all this time, new filter just replaced, but all stock set up. With the boost I have been having it is always pulling the filter minder in.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 AM
Picton
Senior User
I can tell you this. My high boost issue disappeared after I put that TorqueTech "mild" level 1 tune back on the truck.

That freakin Spartan "stock HP DPF-off" tune is just sluggish as hell and uses the crap out of the turbos. I'm going to see how the TorqueTech stock HP tune acts. May stick with that. Shame really, the shifting & of course the ability to tap into nearly every sensor on the truck, are high points for the Spartan tuner. Their tunes are just boost heavy...and you don't really feel a difference in power until you hit the 210hp mark.

The Torque Tech tune I'm running is supposedly only an 80hp tune. But man...the truck is much more snappy...and the lie-o-meter is back up to 15-16 mpg...like old times. Of course I still drive her nicely...but she gets up with less peddle.

So...high boost issue definately can be tune related. Can be EGR related like 73F700