High boost - no pull - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

High boost - no pull

Old 01-08-2018, 11:01 AM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got tinkering with my truck last night. First I pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned it - was pretty full of crap. Cleaned the IAT sensor while I was there. The garbage on them just shows how great egr is for our engines...

The truck ran significantly better, but still high boost and shifting late. Loaded the mild tune, set low shift points went for a drive - loved it. Makes the truck far quieter. I assume that with the additional timing and injection pressure the truck can do a lot more with less boost. I could accelerate to 50mph and not go over 10psi, 15psi would get me to 60mph.

So I loaded the easy tunes again and it is better than it was, shift points are under 2k, instead of over 2500 rpm, I might try changing the low boost fueling from 0 to 5 as some say that it helps the responsiveness and really doesn't produce smoke when driving normally.

These 6.4s are like those games that keep your mind healthy... constantly forced to be thinking about cause/effect in order to keep them running right!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM
Picton
Senior User
Picton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah. I'm still not sure I'm cured. I think it performs a bit better...but I know the trans is learning all over again. Need to see how its doing after a couple hundred miles.

"These 6.4s are like those games that keep your mind healthy... constantly forced to be thinking about cause/effect in order to keep them running right!"

I hear you on this and agree to an extent. However most of the time I wish they(6.4s) weren't like that at all...lol.

I've had mine from 72k to 120k now (about 2 years). I haven't had any serious issues and only the drive shaft sensor going out(limp mode).

I hope it stays that way.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 PM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The first time I loaded the stock level tune was right after I did the delete and the truck was cold blooded. I believe the trans computer knows when the engine is cold and holds the gears a bit longer to help speed warm up. So if you load a tune on a cold truck and erase the trans memory, the first thing to be remembered by the trans is a late shift.

The second time I reloaded the tune I made sure to have the truck up to operating temp first. I think it helped.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:10 PM
3skidoos
New User
3skidoos is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem and had to take it to Diesel expert he found the EGR valve wasn't closing with the low hp tunes . After cleaning the valve and setting to the 300hd on the lowest setting all is good now.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:56 PM
73F700
Senior User
Interesting. I have seen other threads where a bad egr valve causes very low boost. I suppose it as it as related to VGT control it could cause the high boost as well. I have a scan tool that shows egr command and egr error - I am going to plug this in and see what I get on the next few rides.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 PM
73F700
Senior User
I have the updated egr valve with no coolant passage - Picton, out of interest do you know if yours is the updated one as well?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM
73F700
Senior User
Now I am confused - I am running the easy tunes which should still be cycling the egr. Ran the scan tool this morning and the egr command is sitting on 0%... Error at -100%

Time to do some exploring

Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are you driving around while looking for the egr to cycle? I remember reading somewhere...I think lol...That the egr only cycles at idle and or start up or something like that. Just to keep valve free. While driving though I believe EGR valve does not cycle.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 73F700 View Post
Got tinkering with my truck last night. First I pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned it - was pretty full of crap. Cleaned the IAT sensor while I was there. The garbage on them just shows how great egr is for our engines...

The truck ran significantly better, but still high boost and shifting late. Loaded the mild tune, set low shift points went for a drive - loved it. Makes the truck far quieter. I assume that with the additional timing and injection pressure the truck can do a lot more with less boost. I could accelerate to 50mph and not go over 10psi, 15psi would get me to 60mph.

So I loaded the easy tunes again and it is better than it was, shift points are under 2k, instead of over 2500 rpm, I might try changing the low boost fueling from 0 to 5 as some say that it helps the responsiveness and really doesn't produce smoke when driving normally.

These 6.4s are like those games that keep your mind healthy... constantly forced to be thinking about cause/effect in order to keep them running right!

What your describing here..easy tunes vs mild tunes....When I ran the canned H&S tunes years ago...I remember same findings.....I didn't like the way easy tunes ran at all for this very reason. I ended up sticking with Mild tune, I think I found best mileage set on tow level and trans was set to low shift points.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 PM
73F700
Senior User
The lines stay the same at idle and while driving. At key on engine off the command stays at 0% and the error flashes between -100% and +99%.

Before I tuned the truck the command would increase when accelerating. and the error would vary. I'm not sure if the valve on my truck has ever acted right. I have done some research on the error value and it got confusing.

What this means is I should be able to install my block off plates, run the easy tune, and not get a CEL for lack of flow. I am trying to stay away from the higher tunes with some hope of extending the trucks useful life.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 PM
3skidoos
New User
3skidoos is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you have the 2 electrical plugs unhooked on the EGR valve ? If the tune has the the valve turned off there should be no codes.
Diesel Dr got mine to show EGR error also and I was on the H&S mild tow tune. I thought the H&S turned off the EGR on mild maybe it was stuck open before my deletes. Not trying to confuse you just help
73f700 I see your also in Ont The Diesel Dr in Acton took about 10 min to figure mine out

Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I run H&S, from before they were raided by the EPA, all my stuff is gone, EGR valve, the works, no cel.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:09 AM
73F700
Senior User
Mine is also pre-lawsuit programmer. It is actually a race version - whatever that means.

What would be very helpful is a master spec showing all the exact differences between the Easy, Mild and HD300 tunes. i.e. timing, IPW, VGT programming,

I suppose there isn't such a sheet as it is proprietary info. It would help those of us that want the best tune for longevity make an intelligent decision.

Picton - I didn't mean to take over this thread - I trust this is all relevant to the topic....

Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
I think there is.....The H&S MCC ( Maxx calibration control) software...if you can still get a license for it that is. It's been awhile since I played with it ....but you can load and compare and edit all aspects of the tunes to your liking.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 PM
sparky923
New User
sparky923 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the exact same problem. High boost low power. Egr/dpf delete with gearbox z tune. I replaced the ebp sensor already. I did notice soot under the hood, but it’s been doing this long before the soot was there. It’s particularly bad when the engine is cold. Like every morning ! I feel like I’m pulling a 15k trailer all the way up to 5th gear. 20-25 psi with moderate gas pedal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High boost - no pull

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: