6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 f250 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Mr.powerstroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 f250 6.4

I am currently looking at at 6.4 powerstroke it’s gonna be my first diesel I have ever owned. It has 130k miles and it’s in great shape. No rot or rust. Looked at all the records pretty much since the truck was new nothing major was done to it beside a lot of oil changes and egr delete and intake with a mild tune and full exhaust. It has great compression and transmission ****s great. No oil leaks no strange sounds. What is everyone’s input on this truck. Wasn’t worked with highway miles.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.powerstroke
I am currently looking at at 6.4 powerstroke it’s gonna be my first diesel I have ever owned. It has 130k miles and it’s in great shape. No rot or rust. Looked at all the records pretty much since the truck was new nothing major was done to it beside a lot of oil changes and egr delete and intake with a mild tune and full exhaust. It has great compression and transmission ****s great. No oil leaks no strange sounds. What is everyone’s input on this truck. Wasn’t worked with highway miles.
There are 2 blown engine threads this month and 1 engine rebuild thread......so obviously...my take is to pass.

Google
6.4l issues
6.4l problems
etc

Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
The 6.4L diesel ran for three production years only, for the Ford Super Duty model line. As a Ford dealer tech in my opinion, that's three model years too many.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
The 6.4L diesel ran for three production years only, for the Ford Super Duty model line. As a Ford dealer tech in my opinion, that's three model years too many.
I just filled my pants with the saddest kind of oatmeal. I got into the wrong truck...

Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I add fuel to the tank and drive mine, no concerns.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
I add fuel to the tank and drive mine, no concerns.
^^^I need to start thinking like Copper.

There is a constant worry about my truck in the back of my mind. A worry that could very easily segue into me filling my pants with oatmeal at any time.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:54 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I absolutely love our 08.

I did have to do the radiator but that wasn't unforeseen from research.

It was/is very well maintained. My day may come but as far as a capable and well built vehicle, it stars.

I purchased this to be my someday truck and my wife drives it and is in love with it so that may not be in my cards.

I know there are many problematic issues that have surfaced with the 6.4 but when it comes down to the nut, I see most failures from simple neglect and not stepping up intervals on fluids and plain abuse.

We have guys in here that are rolling close or over 300k with no serious issues. Is it a crap shoot, absolutely. If you think your getting into a vehicle that will last til social security rolls in, maybe not. However, I am willing to do what needs to be done to hang onto this for eternity and whatever it takes, I put on the wedding band.

I've had my 7.3 for nearly 20 years. I just dropped a load of cash into the drive-train. It needed it. But after 222000 miles, I would do that one all over again as well.

When I bought the 7.3 and joined that forum, there were negative nelly's all over it. Now, they're gone and my 7.3 isn't and it just speaks out loud that one mans pit is another's paradise.

You can buy any make/model unit thinking that you stepped up above a problem. Or you buy what you desire and accept the fate your handed.

So far, I'm nothing but strictly impressed with our 6.4 and that includes driveability and maintenance costs. Maybe it was a mid week built at the plant where most assemblers were sober, who knows.

Denny

Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
The 4 blown 6.4 motors this month must have been Monday builds.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:41 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Point taken fritz.

Of the blown motors we speaker of.........How many were tuned, how many miles, what care was embodied and lastly how well were they maintained? From the posts I've seen, all except one were heavily tuned. My question would be, with the amount of performance right out of the gate and the engineering embedded in from the build floor, why would you strap another electronic part on this rig to make it more pleasurable in terms of performance? Fords intent wasn't to build a race truck.

Another point is that the production numbers of the trucks made in the 3 years and the viceroy builds of the bus and trucks are huge in comparison to the few that actually belong to this forum and have reported failures.

I totally respect your outlook and opinion. I spoke at length with more than one ford tech and they say seeing a 6.4 is rare. But when they do, they see it for awhile.

I'm not 6.4 Mr cheerleader, but I'm optimistic and hope that the few that have had the catastrophic problems are in the low numbers compared to the units produced.

I'll also lend that most 6.4 owners don't belong to this forum because they're still driving they're happy asses around with no problems and don't need to dive in to a focal group for advise. This by far is the least populated Ford forum out there.

Denny

Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I think the 6.4’s are sitting in used car lots or junk yards moreso than they are all on the road with happy drivers.

It’s not a busy forum but a predictable one. Cold weather brings blown motors.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Picton
Senior User
I respect the opinions of both of you guys. At the end of the day we're all in these trucks together and if we can help out in any way...we will.

I'm going to try to not worry about it...and take care of the beast as best I can.

Stay puckered yall...hold back that sad oatmeal.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(humor)

I hate rain on anyone’s parade, it is a well known fact that dualies are made better.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
(humor)

I hate rain on anyone’s parade, it is a well known fact that dualies are made better.
Nothing like a dually comment to lighten the mood.

On another note Fritz I am still learning. What is the corilation between cold weather and blown 6.4 as you say?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Nothing like a dually comment to lighten the mood.

On another note Fritz I am still learning. What is the corilation between cold weather and blown 6.4 as you say?
I think fritz meant that cold weather...can be hard on diesel engines...especially starting in cold weather. The arrival of cold weather would tend to reveal potential issues or even cause them to occur.

Maybe that was way too deep...and fritz didn't mean that at all...lol.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've just turned 130,000 on mine, tuned and deleted, old H&S tuner before the feds got them. Best truck I ever had, Fritz had bad luck with his so they aren't worth a crap to him, they all have issues, some worse than others.
Just ran a tank of diesel through last weekend going up north and back 17.39 MPG, can't beat that.

Quick Reply: 2010 f250 6.4