1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Maxlider 1966 Ford Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
A Pretty Trailer Queen -- Do you think it will ever driven off the pavement, let alone ever get to do any wheelin' in over-the-hub deep mud?

BarnieTrk

Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 AM
derekxj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
A Pretty Trailer Queen -- Do you think it will ever driven off the pavement, let alone ever get to do any wheelin' in over-the-hub deep mud?

BarnieTrk
This truck was built, and built well. from axles, to custom suspension and lockers front and rear. Unless i am confusing this with a VERY similar truck, its got a cummins in it and YES it is used and abused off road. I've watched videos of it wheeling in the desert on the owner / builders facebook page. Its nice seeing this one was done right and I remember being glad it wasnt just a show piece.

With all of this aside, i truthfully would have made that very same assumption as you - that truck is spotless.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by derekxj
This truck was built, and built well. from axles, to custom suspension and lockers front and rear. Unless i am confusing this with a VERY similar truck, its got a cummins in it and YES it is used and abused off road. I've watched videos of it wheeling in the desert on the owner / builders facebook page. Its nice seeing this one was done right and I remember being glad it wasnt just a show piece.

With all of this aside, i truthfully would have made that very same assumption as you - that truck is spotless.
Someone is confused.......because according to the link provided,

We Pick the Maxlider 1966 Ford Bronco for 2017 Gran Turismo Awards ? #TENSEMA17

....this modded Bronco is powered by, "....a Roush-supercharged Ford 5.0L V-8 with 600 hp."

But don't take it wrong, it is a sweet machine... it just bugs me to see them built just to be polish on. My hangup I guess.......

BarnieTrk

Old 11-10-2017, 05:43 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Some cars and trucks are built to look at, and some are built to drive. I have no issue with either. That is a looker.

My only complaint is I can't afford to build a looker and beat the crap out of it like I do.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Amphihauler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it wern't for shows like SEMA and lookers like this we wouldn't have nearly as much aftermarket support for the hobby as we do. And for what it's worth I'd love to go to SEMA and drool on these lookers. This is the one I want to see!

Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Amphihauler
If it wern't for shows like SEMA and lookers like this we wouldn't have nearly as much aftermarket support for the hobby as we do. And for what it's worth I'd love to go to SEMA and drool on these lookers. This is the one I want to see!

I see they changed the FORD in the grille to ICON. That's a beautiful truck.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:05 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I see they changed the FORD in the grille to ICON. That's a beautiful truck.
Yep, the builder made a number of changes from 'as built'. I'd like to see what the builder did under the hood, in the cab, door hinges, rear bumper/hitch and under the chassis.... kinda looks like the 'side moulding' is painted on....

I'd prefer the Western mirrors versus those 'car' mirrors that the builder went with....

BarnieTrk

Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Amphihauler
Elder User
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
Yep, the builder made a number of changes from 'as built'. I'd like to see what the builder did under the hood, in the cab, door hinges, rear bumper/hitch and under the chassis.... kinda looks like the 'side moulding' is painted on....

I'd prefer the Western mirrors versus those 'car' mirrors that the builder went with....

BarnieTrk
I thought the same on those mirrors.

Here's some good info on the ICON F100.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:15 AM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts
The one mistake they made on that crew cab, is with all the money they spent on it they should have narrowed the axles so the tires fit better with the body width.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Amphihauler
Elder User
Originally Posted by skidoorulz
The one mistake they made on that crew cab, is with all the money they spent on it they should have narrowed the axles so the tires fit better with the body width.
I was thinking it would look better with rear Bronco flairs. Something similar to the wrong bed style rear fender openings that better match the front fenders would look good I think. They state in the video they reshaped the front flares some but they look just like the wide open style to me. Could have molded them to match a rear flair and cover the wheels better.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:57 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
For my $150,000 I will insist on correct headlight-door screws!

Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 AM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Thankfully ICON made great efforts to retain the general ora of the original design.
It's not 8-feet in the air and hacked up beyond recognition.
I like that they've preserved another CrewCab that'll likely be around for at least another few decades in some sort of preservation, rather than mud-bogging and ending up in a bog to die.

These custom builder folks like ICON are like the rest of us and generally look to the past for inspiration and that's why some these old relics that are barely worthy of a new life get one.

My hat is off to those folks for inspiring some of us to take some of their queues and push our projects to new levels.

My factory-original all-steel 1963 F100 'unibody' has gone through a number of 'remodels' in my mind because of the industry changes and product improvements.
I have assembled a cache of engine parts, over the past 20+ years, for an old-school "Clevor" engine build with an AOD swap but over the recent decade, aluminum cylinder head technology and fuel injection has vastly improved the whole idea of performance for old-school engine builds, as an example.
I've considered a Cummins 4BT diesel with eith manual or auto transmission and that too is still a consideration.
A Crown Vic front suspension, PorterBuilt, Fatman, Delmo, Flat Out Engineering, Detroit Speed, Industrial Chassis andso many others offer products and ideas that continually spin the tables on one's project ideas and direction.
That's what SEMA is all about, and, why the industry isn't dying.

Is't most likely that most of us won't see the reality of a $100,000+ custom build on our classic's but those builds do inspire ideas that we incorporate in our own mostly low-budget projects, and, that is what makes this industry great - the exchange!

Good luck to each of you who have projects on the table and I hope those so-called Big-Builds give you inspiration...

Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
So Fellas,
If you were voting 'best in show' between these two rides, which would it be: The Bronco or the CrewCab?

Although I'm not thrilled about the late model Dodge diesel-powered drivetrain/chassis, I could learn to like it..... my vote is for the CrewCab.

BarnieTrk