What Happens When We Recycle Our Used Oil Filters - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication
Reload this Page >

What Happens When We Recycle Our Used Oil Filters

Notices
Oil & Lubrication  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold

Take the time to recycle your oil filters, used oil & other fluids, Don't toss the filters into the trash, as the remaining oil inside, & that remaining in the saturated media, even if we drain the filter, can leak out & eventually pollute ground water!!!

Not all stores will accept oil filters for recycling, but O'Reilly around me will & they'll also take the used engine oil, as well as used, transmission, transfer case, differential oils, brake fluid, coolant & batteries.

If you know of other stores that will also recycle used oil filters, why not post up their names here, so we build a range of choices depending on where we live.

The oil filter steel & oil remaining inside can be recycled. Here is a short video of what one company does to recycle used oil filters.
The yearly collection volume numbers of metal & oil Not going into landfills might surprise you.
Enjoy the well done video, I sure did!!!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 AM
KULTULZ
Posting Guru
KULTULZ has a good reputation on FTE.KULTULZ has a good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

THANK YOU! ...

Old 11-05-2017, 05:02 PM
onug
Posting Guru
onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.onug has a great reputation on FTE.
Awesome... I wonder if my local auto shops take old filters...I’ll have to ask. I’ve just been putting the parts (after cutting open) into double ziplock bags

Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
I inquired & the O'Reilly's mentioned above, will also accept cut open oil filters, as I too have always liked to cut mine open for inspection after their OCI. My first trip was a 5gal bucket full along with 15 gallons of used oil. About time for another trip!!!

Old 12-23-2017, 03:23 PM
december45
Freshman User
december45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We are in Northern CA and the local Oriellys will not take coolant and will not take the container you bring the used oil in for recycling. I don't know about the filters I haven't tried recycling them, but will next time.
As important as recycling oil, coolant, fuel, and the rest of it, I would think it would be the easiest thing in the world to recycle this waste. However in northern ca it is anything but easy. I find it extremely difficult to recycle coolant, None of the auto parts places like O'Riellys, wallmart, auto zone, or any of the NAPA stores will not take it. Transmission fluid is also hard to recycle, the conversations Ive had with shop owners locally have said they quit taking it, because it cost so much to recycle it.
As important as recycling is, ease of recycling should be just as important. After all its the environment is what we are trying to save.
* Note; I have not been permitted to recycle more than 5 gallons per day, Ive been turned down, go to another store or come back tomorrow, apparently the state checks their sign in lists and gallons recycle.... why not take all you got?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:57 PM
pawpaw
My local ORiellys manager said its ok to mix motor oil, tranny fluid, transfer case fluid & differential oil, as it's just different viscosities & % ad pack chemicals. Some of this gets recycled into new lubricants, some is burned in power plants to make electric power, so neither care which oil sump the old fluid came from.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Believe it or not if you're hooked up to city sewage (waste treatment plant), the environmentally friendly way to dispose of engine "antifreeze" or glycol coolant is by flushing it down the toilet.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 PM
tbm3fan
Postmaster
tbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to beholdtbm3fan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by december45 View Post
We are in Northern CA and the local Oriellys will not take coolant and will not take the container you bring the used oil in for recycling. I don't know about the filters I haven't tried recycling them, but will next time.
As important as recycling oil, coolant, fuel, and the rest of it, I would think it would be the easiest thing in the world to recycle this waste. However in northern ca it is anything but easy. I find it extremely difficult to recycle coolant, None of the auto parts places like O'Riellys, wallmart, auto zone, or any of the NAPA stores will not take it. Transmission fluid is also hard to recycle, the conversations Ive had with shop owners locally have said they quit taking it, because it cost so much to recycle it.
As important as recycling is, ease of recycling should be just as important. After all its the environment is what we are trying to save.
* Note; I have not been permitted to recycle more than 5 gallons per day, Ive been turned down, go to another store or come back tomorrow, apparently the state checks their sign in lists and gallons recycle.... why not take all you got?
I too live in Northern California. Contra Costa County to be exact and the county runs two locations for recycling almost anything be it oil, fluids, filters, coolant, paint, adhesives, CFLs and so forth. No limits. Just drive up and they empty your trunk/truck for you.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:41 AM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Some service stations have a press that squeezes the oil out when it collapses the filter.

I take a screwdriver and open the check valve on the filters to let a lot of oil out.

Many places burn waste oil in NY
In NY there is a law that any place that sells motor oil, must accept used oil for recycling.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:04 PM
daveengelson
Post Fiend
daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.daveengelson has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
I too live in Northern California. Contra Costa County to be exact and the county runs two locations for recycling almost anything be it oil, fluids, filters, coolant, paint, adhesives, CFLs and so forth. No limits. Just drive up and they empty your trunk/truck for you.
Reside in California Central Coast, Santa Cruz County, and the waste management program provides a containers for oil in their weekly roadside pick up and one can place oil filters in a baggie to set on top of the recycle container. Unfortunately residence are required to pay monthly fee of approx. $20/month for recycle material and includes green waste and garbage.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:54 PM
34ford
New User
34ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great video! I was wondering what happened to my old filters?