EGR Cooler & DEF tank heater replacement and warranty ? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

EGR Cooler & DEF tank heater replacement and warranty ?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 AM
longrange1971
Junior User
longrange1971 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello all,
Truck threw some codes the other day. Took it to Ford to find out it needs a EGR cooler and reductant tank heater. EGR cooler already replaced once under warranty, now they are saying the truck is out of warranty by 1 month and 16 days and they are not covering it. Very frustrating. I was wondering if there are any Ford warranty reps on the site? Thanks for your help. Oh yeah, the truck has 87,500 ish miles on it and it is a 2012. Makes me want to consider deleting everything!!!

can you successfully do a delete without replacing these parts and is it safe to drive for a period of time until i can figure this out

thanks again

Old 11-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Painted Horse
Posting Guru
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
What's the Warranty on the Replacement? Didn't the repair work have a separate warranty period from the trucks base warranty?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:22 PM
longrange1971
Junior User
The replacement EGR Cooler had a 2 year warranty so it is out of warranty as well. it was replaced back in 2014 after 35,000 miles.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Jeffh40
New User
Jeffh40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
DOn't know about the EGR but the DEF heater is fine to run without until it gets to 12 degrees outside. That is when DEF starts to crystallize. Once it gets too cold outside, you'll get a "DEF failure - vehicle speed limited to 50 mph" warning.

My heater failed in Jan last year. Still haven't replaced it since I keep the truck in the garage. I don't drive it on those colder days though until I get it fixed or deleted.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 AM
longrange1971
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jeffh40 View Post
DOn't know about the EGR but the DEF heater is fine to run without until it gets to 12 degrees outside. That is when DEF starts to crystallize. Once it gets too cold outside, you'll get a "DEF failure - vehicle speed limited to 50 mph" warning.

My heater failed in Jan last year. Still haven't replaced it since I keep the truck in the garage. I don't drive it on those colder days though until I get it fixed or deleted.
Well to update things, on Wednesday my dealer was supposed to request warranty extension from ford then call me when they found out what ford said. Still have not heard back from them. IDK!!

Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 AM
longrange1971
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jeffh40 View Post

So after the 3rd attempt with Ford, I was finally told there would be no financial assistance for work on a truck out of warranty by 1 month and 16 days. So I deleted it!!Mini max tunerSinister EGR delete kit 4” cat back pipe. Using same mufflerI could not be happier. Did it myself. Whole job took me about 8 hours just taking my time. Getting 21+ MPG on average. Drives like a different truck. Lovin’ It !!!!

Old 12-17-2017, 03:37 AM
falconetti
Senior User
falconetti is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by longrange1971 View Post
So after the 3rd attempt with Ford, I was finally told there would be no financial assistance for work on a truck out of warranty by 1 month and 16 days. So I deleted it!!Mini max tunerSinister EGR delete kit 4” cat back pipe. Using same mufflerI could not be happier. Did it myself. Whole job took me about 8 hours just taking my time. Getting 21+ MPG on average. Drives like a different truck. Lovin’ It !!!!
awesome! probably cheaper that way too.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Slowlearner
Senior User
Slowlearner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 2012 F-350 6.7 has also recently presented me with the P20BA code associated with the failed DEF tank heater. After clearing the code several times (as the service procedure directs), it has repeatedly and immediately returned, indicating a confident failure of the reductant tank heater.

While going through the troubleshooting process and chatting about it with some fellow 6.7 owners I learned that several of them have had the exact same issue occur in the 60k-100k mile range. Further internet /forum searching has made it seem that this is becoming a very common failure. In my case (and each of my friend's cases) the issue occurs just outside of warranty coverage, requiring a ~ $1,200 out of pocket repair expense.

I have reached out the Ford Customer service requesting that this issue be looked into. It seems that this issue is far too commonly occurring, and (almost conveniently) occurring just out of warranty coverage. It seems unacceptable that this component is regularly failing at ~60-100k miles, and at the owner's expense. Further, given that it is a emissions control component, it's a little off-putting that it is not covered under an 80k or 100k mile emission's warranty.

Fingers crossed that we will get some sort of extended support, or warranty extension similar to the program deployed to address plagued EGT sensors (which also failed on my truck).

Old 01-12-2018, 01:27 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My DEF tank heater went sour at 73K miles, I purchased a extended warranty for 75K miles so glad it went bad before. I still had a $100 deductible.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:50 PM
whitlock
New User
whitlock is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine went out on my 2011 at 94K...but I have ESP so $100 my cost.