Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:12 PM
KillyMcGee
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted 2WD Excursion now with Camber issues even with alignment cams/bushings

Build:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cs-inside.html

Installed the lift, got it aligned the other day (we don't drive it much) and took for granted that when you pay someone for something that they'll do it correctly.

I do have the Procomp 594 alignment bushing for the upper ball joints. However my vehicle has noticeable positive camber. Also noticed my steering wheel is nearly 1/4 turn off. So the alignment place/Dealership isn't great.

I decided to get it halfway close myself before I drive the truck back 100 miles to have it aligned elsewhere. I can't seem to get the thing close to having 0 camber. Any of you other lifted excursion owners have this issue? The truck rides great, looks great but the tires are noticeably closer on the bottoms. I to also notice like most Ford this style that the tires separate when backing the truck up. So if i park, backup 5 feet then the truck looks aligned.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Tschiele
New User
Post your alignment sheet, it might give a better idea of whats going on.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM
blk_fxstc
Freshman User
KillyMcGee, did you get this resolved? I will be going down the same road soon. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:45 AM
KillyMcGee
Freshman User
Sort of. Had 2 issues. 1 was steering stiffness the other was back and forth while driving at highway speeds.

1st issue I called Redhead and they recommended that I back the tension off of the new steering gear 1/2 a turn. I started right before I left with 1/4 of a turn and when I got it realigned I did the other 1/4. Its somewhat better but it seems that when I turn the wheel to correct the vehicle direction because of changing lanes or a curve in the road I have to turn the wheel back to center as it doesn't auto center. Also seems like my power steering pump is weak as it is more difficult to turn and turn back after I've swapped the gear. I plan on pulling the pitman arm off and seeing if the steering has anything binding although it didn't before I swapped the gear.

2nd issue of wheels leaning in and vehicle wandering was corrected almost completely with 1st alignment which we had done at a local shop before we went on a 2200 mile road trip. They didn't provide me with a print out of what he aligned it to though so I have no idea what the specs he had set were. After driving about 7 hours to Atlanta I didn't want to drive the truck any more as I was back and forth all night long keeping the truck between the lines. It wasn't slack in the gear, the steering is super responsive, but any movement of the wheel ended me up a few feet over each direction and it was nerve racking. Stopped at a shop outside of Atlanta and they aligned the truck, here are the before and after specs:

Although it didn't look to be much off, it definitely drove better after the 2nd alignment. Although it still seems like I'm constantly having to correct the truck ever so much. Its not as relaxing as a drive as the Suburban or any of my other cars. Not sure if thats the 315/75/16 tires, the lack of a rear sway bar or something else. Swaybar is supposed to be here when its off of backorder from Hellwig but it wasn't on there on the last trip. Tire pressure is set to about 60, however its hard finding out what is should be set to, looks like the center of the tire is going to wear faster than the outsides just judging off of the contour of the tread.

The truck drives much better than it did, but its not where I want it to be.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM
blk_fxstc
Freshman User
Thanks a bunch! So you are still using the Procomp 594? Also, do you have a steering stabilizer? I already have a rear sway bar, so hopefully that helps.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 PM
KillyMcGee
Freshman User
Yes on both . Procomp bushings and stabilizer .

Old 06-12-2018, 12:34 PM
paul336p
New User
I had the same issue with my wifes 2wd Excursion after I lifted it. It had extreme positive camber. The 1st alignment shop we took it to didn't even want to touch it. The second one tried, but couldn't even get it close to spec with adjustable 2 degree bushings. I ended up having to get the MOOG K80109 Bushings. They allow for up to 4 degrees of adjustment. This allowed my camber to 0 out dead flat. This is on 34" tires. Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:02 PM
blk_fxstc
Freshman User
Thanks paul336 and KellyMcGee!

Bought the Procomp K4130 BMX 6" lift kit with Fox shocks, FD600 pitman arm, and the Moog K80109 bushings (all are on the way here). Did you happen to take pics of the Moog bushing orientation paul336? I'm going to attempt to follow the directions in the Moog box prior to taking it to the alignment shop.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:44 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
The problem is right in front of your eyes. Search the threads here for getting more caster.

2 degrees and it'll be walking all over the road. How much of that two degrees do you think is it still keeping once you hit bumps or rolls in the road?

Old 06-27-2018, 03:00 PM
paul336p
New User
Originally Posted by blk_fxstc
Thanks paul336 and KellyMcGee!

Bought the Procomp K4130 BMX 6" lift kit with Fox shocks, FD600 pitman arm, and the Moog K80109 bushings (all are on the way here). Did you happen to take pics of the Moog bushing orientation paul336? I'm going to attempt to follow the directions in the Moog box prior to taking it to the alignment shop.

I don't have any pictures. I can get some when my wife gets home. It's very easy. I just adjusted the cams by eye, in my hand until I could see that they were at the most offset they would allow, then I put them in. Once in, I turned them with the wrench until I could visually see that my camber was at the best angle that the bushings would allow (Did this by watching the degree of the rotor as I turned the wrench). Then I tightened the pinch bolt down. I did this only to get the truck to the alignment shop. Low and behold, my country boy eyeball must have worked, because one side was at 0.16 and the other at 0.08. Essentially dead flat and much better than I was expecting. They did have to adjust my toe a little, but that was it. The truck rides great. At this much degree of offset, the steering is a little tight, because the knuckles are rubbing, but it loosened up a bit after a month or so. We haven't had any further issues out of it. The truck handles so much better, it's night and day. I attribute that to the new super springs and the bilstein shocks though. I also installed TTX ball joints before I did the lift. Make sure you keep an eye on your ball joints. I expect heavier wear on them, due to the offset, but so far so good. She has about 35,000 miles on it since I did this. I just make sure I crawl under there every couple of months and keep the ball joints greased. I also fabricated a little bracket that locks in using the pinch bolt and just sits on top of the bushing, to keep them from walking out over time. (Had this happen on a super duty 2 wheel drive before) I honestly don't think your going to have as much of an issue with the kit you bought, because it actually drops the control arm. My offset was so extreme, because all I did was install a set of super springs.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM
RickyBerd
New User
The truck rides great. At this much degree of offset, the steering is a little tight, because the knuckles are rubbing, but it loosened up a bit after a month or so.
So this is a little old now, but I just eye-ball adjusted my camber after putting in a 2 inch leveling kit on my '92 f250 and the knuckles are rubbing. I know a lot of guys/shops will grind a little bit off the knuckle to eliminate the rub. Aside from a little sticky spot in the steering, are they any issues with just letting it rub?