2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

(spinoff) Who has the most hours?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
...We are under OSHA rules to stay warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. So we're actually mandated in the winter to run the trucks.
Amazing how one administration (OSHA) demands you run the vehicle all day to stay warm or cool; then another (EPA) demands automatic idle shutdown for commercial vehicles...diesel anyway.

My diesel truck will only idle 15 or 20 minutes and then it automatically shuts down unless you physically tell it not to or turn the setting off. But it resets every trip.

Found that out when I got stuck in some big snow drifts last winter on a zero degree day with strong winds. I got out of the truck to walk and see if I could find anyone to help me get unstuck, confident my truck would stay nice and warm running. Got back an hour and half later and truck was off. I thought something overheated or broke, but the truck restarted normally. I left it running to start unshoveling myself, and it shut off again. That's when I figured it out.

Too bad about you guys going to GM trucks. I think the 6.2L's are great engines. The Ford cab is a nicer place to be, in my opinion.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Amazing how one administration (OSHA) demands you run the vehicle all day to stay warm or cool; then another (EPA) demands automatic idle shutdown for commercial vehicles...diesel anyway.

My diesel truck will only idle 15 or 20 minutes and then it automatically shuts down unless you physically tell it not to or turn the setting off. But it resets every trip.

Found that out when I got stuck in some big snow drifts last winter on a zero degree day with strong winds. I got out of the truck to walk and see if I could find anyone to help me get unstuck, confident my truck would stay nice and warm running. Got back an hour and half later and truck was off. I thought something overheated or broke, but the truck restarted normally. I left it running to start unshoveling myself, and it shut off again. That's when I figured it out.

Too bad about you guys going to GM trucks. I think the 6.2L's are great engines. The Ford cab is a nicer place to be, in my opinion.

Everything on the Ford is nicer.

I don't think OSHA exactly insists on it, but they insist on being safe. And we're at risk of heatstroke and frost bite very often, so the company made it a policy. And some jobsites near the lake, I'm not convinced shutting the truck down and letting it freeze is such a good idea.

When we had the nasty -25 ultra cold spell in 2014 and 2015, I was on call. I let my truck idle in my driveway all night long, with the doors locked, so I could respond quickly.

I'll have to check, I don't think the F550's ever shut down. I haven't heard anyone mention it.