1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F500 stake side

Old 10-28-2017, 04:49 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
That one is the dangerous widow maker. Now you'll want to look to see if they are all alike. Finding someone willing to service them will probably be a challenge. Below are pictures that show the joint that encircles the center of each RH-5° rim assembly. There are safer replacement options when you are ready. Stu

Old 10-28-2017, 04:51 PM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that apply to the back dually and the front rims?

Old 10-28-2017, 04:55 PM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Other mirror

Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
That one is the dangerous widow maker. Now you'll want to look to see if they are all alike. Finding someone willing to service them will probably be a challenge. Below are pictures that show the joint that encircles the center of each RH-5° rim assembly. There are safer replacement options when you are ready. Stu

does that apply to the back dually and front rims?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:21 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,443 Posts
Thanks for the extra pics. I see you have a 2 speed rear... that was an option for a F500. good for you. I see a vacuum hose coming off the manifold. Does the truck have a brake booster? That is good. I see an antenna, does it have a stock Ford radio? It would be a round faced radio placed in the dash left of the ashtray.

What is the history of the truck?

Old 10-28-2017, 05:26 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
This is why I suggested looking at all six. Probably they are all alike, but over the life of a truck its wheels can be changed/substituted.

Sometimes guys that are new to these old trucks think fronts and rears are specific to their mounted locations. Not so. Fronts and inner rears are mounted concave side in, while outer rears are mounted concave side out. It is the outer rears that present the most danger because the ring side will blow outerward while the fronts and inner rears would blow inward. Stu

Old 10-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 754 Likes on 368 Posts
Very nice. Everything looks very solid from those pictures.
I'm not an expert on widowmakers, but from what I know, all 6 are widowmakers.

I love the 239 Y-block. There are some parts on it that are next to impossible to replace like the water pump.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Smile

Nice solid truck BJ! Glad your taking interest and saving another Big Ford Truck. I can speak from experience concerning Stu's advice. He set me straight with my '55 F350 WM wheels. It took a little research and help from Stu but eventually got what I needed. In fact, I now have one extra wheel. Unfortunately it will not fit on your truck. Thanks for posting more pictures and be assured I will be following your progress

Old 10-28-2017, 06:14 PM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abe
Thanks for the extra pics. I see you have a 2 speed rear... that was an option for a F500. good for you. I see a vacuum hose coming off the manifold. Does the truck have a brake booster? That is good. I see an antenna, does it have a stock Ford radio? It would be a round faced radio placed in the dash left of the ashtray.

What is the history of the truck?
thanks for all the information so far. I don't know much of the history of the truck at this point as I purchased it within the past month. I bought It from a garage owner who bought It to restore and had It in a garage for many years. He went to restore an F800 instead. It has a spot for the radio but it appeared to be changed out with a cassette deck at some point. Pretty sure in 55 other than a radio and 8 track probably was the best you could get. Tomorrow I will look a little closer look at that and if it has a booster.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 754 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by BJgrain
Pretty sure in 55 other than a radio and 8 track probably was the best you could get.
Well that made me google.
8 track wasn't invented until 1964.
Be sure to take lots of pictures and ask questions. I say you make sure the brakes are good and drive the heck out of it. Your widowmaker replacement search will be a challenge. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:49 AM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Well that made me google.
8 track wasn't invented until 1964.
Be sure to take lots of pictures and ask questions. I say you make sure the brakes are good and drive the heck out of it. Your widowmaker replacement search will be a challenge. I'm looking forward to your progress.
Lol I didn't actually know but made an assumption because my mom had one in her car then again it was a 69 Lincoln. Can still hear Tom Jones playing over and over. It is actually interesting to know the trivia question now of what year it was actually invented.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:03 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fish pond
pictures would be a big help, i should talk, i dont know how to post pics.
I tried, didn't work out .
anyway, hoping you can figure it out.
Greg
Pictures are critical. I skip over posts that are confusing and need pictures. I'm sure others do too. This should help you:
Help on How Too Post Pictures

If you still can't figure it out let us know.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:24 PM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Brake help

So the brakes need some work, they just went to the floor. Thought i would check fluid level first thing. Only had hot rods from the 60's but wasn' expecting to pop the hood and see no master cylinder on the firewall. Instead what appeared to be a vent cap of sorts. Climbed underneath to apparently find everything underneath. A little confused by what I see. I think a power booster for the breaks. The big black cylinder has a break line going in but two big hoses going out one to the manifold assuming a vacuum the other to thef canister or ve my on the firewall. Access to what would appear to be the master cylinder through the cab floor cut out.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:35 PM
BJgrain
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BJgrain
So the brakes need some work, they just went to the floor. Thought i would check fluid level first thing. Only had hot rods from the 60's but wasn' expecting to pop the hood and see no master cylinder on the firewall. Instead what appeared to be a vent cap of sorts. Climbed underneath to apparently find everything underneath. A little confused by what I see. I think a power booster for the breaks. The big black cylinder has a break line going in but two big hoses going out one to the manifold assuming a vacuum the other to thef canister or ve my on the firewall. Access to what would appear to be the master cylinder through the cab floor cut out.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:25 PM
1952 Ford Coe
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The two rubber lines from booster are a vacuum and other is a breather that mounts behind your seat. It is a single system. Single meaning if you blow a line, you lose all your breaks. So it's not like a duel master cylinder. So, you have your master cylinder and then it goes to your booster. The big round cylinder. The hole in the floor is where you top off the master cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1955 F500 stake side