Weird delima here... Tire vs. weight question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Weigh the truck first ready for travel, then weigh the truck with the trailer. A Cat scale at a truck stop will give 3 separate axle weights. Steer, drive and trailer axles.
Oh wow i had no idea. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:16 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Oh wow i had no idea. Thanks for the info.
When using a truck scale you can weigh twice so if you wanted all you have to do is pull on the scale make sure each set of axels are on thier own scale section, push the talk button for the attendant tell them 1st weigh, "private truck" give a # if you want then go drop the trailer in the lot out of the way of others and go back to scale and let them know 2nd weigh. Go inside pay $10 +/- and get the weight ticket.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by scraprat
When using a truck scale you can weigh twice so if you wanted all you have to do is pull on the scale make sure each set of axels are on thier own scale section, push the talk button for the attendant tell them 1st weigh, "private truck" give a # if you want then go drop the trailer in the lot out of the way of others and go back to scale and let them know 2nd weigh. Go inside pay $10 +/- and get the weight ticket.
Thats pretty cool. So along those lines are Fifth wheels required to stop at weight stations or just commercial haulers?

Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Only the commercial guys. If you see a trailer in the stations it's probably a hot shot operator.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is an example weight ticket. Left is just my truck right is with the camper. Right was actually weighed first. weighed unhooked camper reweighed just truck.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a lot of truck you got there!

Trailer is no lightweight either.

Griz

Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Oh now thats pretty cool! Thank for taking the time to show me that!

Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Done deal...

They went on the back. After getting them and mounted now im anxious to get a couple for the front. Thanks for the help guys.

Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2017, 01:58 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I think what he is saying is his front axle gets 80 pounds of the tongue weight.

I am actually 80lbs lighter on the steer axle with the trailer hitched up. I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch and the kingpin sits just rear of the rear axle. Guessing that's why the front lightens up a little.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,676 Likes on 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
The tire rack says this... Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.
This summer I sold my 1/2 ton truck that had BFG Rugged Trail P metric tires on it that were 10 years old. They were absolutely toast. They were in my backyard shed for the first 5 years I had them. When I sold the truck there wasn't much tread left but more importantly the rubber had a lot of age cracks. The sidewalls were OK but the tread area was pretty bad. The tires had less than 35,000 miles on them. I _might_ be a little hard on tires.

Normally, I wouldn't sell a vehicle to a private party with tires in such bad shape but included with the truck were TWO sets of tires/wheels/sensors that were both in very good shape. One of those sets were Toyo Open Country LT/AT in load range D. They were around 8 years old with maybe 6,000 miles and looked brand new. I only put them on the truck to tow or do minor off-road stuff. No age cracks at all. These tires were also stored in my backyard shed.

With regard to the trailer tires, I put covers on my tires when in storage. I expect to put about 4,000 miles on my trailer each year. Starting with year 4 (of the tires) I'll inspect the tires a lot more closely than I normally do. If I don't spot any age cracks or lack of tread then I'll go another year. But after year 5 I'll likely replace them no matter what. I don't want the trailer to incur any damage due to a blowout but I also don't want to be changing a tire in a less than hospitable environment (busy freeway, steep shoulder, etc).

Old 11-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Thanks Jim good info. So the first thing i do is check the born on date of the new tires from Ebay. They are already 6 mos old? Im wondering if this is typical or if tires could sit on the shelfs much longer in some cases. Wonder if there is a sell by date on tires? Might be something to keep an eye on?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:05 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,676 Likes on 2,744 Posts
When I bought my tires from Discount Tire I specifically asked about the manufacture date and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were only a month old. These were the Hartland tire which appears to be a store brand, not a national brand tire. The price was good and Discount Tire has been really good about standing by their tires. I would have preferred something like a Goodyear Endurance or Sailun. However, the Endurance was more money and not in stock locally and the Sailun doesn't fit my 15" wheels.