1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Return of the Redwood Express - another flathead brought back from the dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Return of the Redwood Express - another flathead brought back from the dead

Hi all,

It's long time since I've checked in regularly, and even longer since I posted. Nothing unusual, just another cross-country move and other normal life stuff taking priority. Progress has been pretty minimal since I've owned the truck, as I wasn't really able to work on it for the first four years I owned it, and then after the move I didn't touch it for almost three years. Now that I've got things more sorted, I'm back at it, and motivated to get this old truck back on the road maybe within a year… In fact, I FINALLY got it running!

Since this is going to be my main build thread, I'll post some pix of my progress so far below when I get more time; before that I wanted to say thanks to a few of the folks here that have helped me get this far. Illya (51PanelMan) for helping me get the parts truck home, and for all the help with odds and ends for the first few years I owned the truck, Dave (truckeemtnfords) for the VIN inspection and getting me through the CA titling process, needhelp49 for the cowl vent cover, Dan (old_dan) for advice on a few key repairs, and of course all the mega-posters and old timers and anyone else I've forgotten for the invaluable info I've gotten from this forum.

Here's is a an old photo of the truck the day after I got it off of a northern California farm.

Here's what the flat 6 engine looked like when I bought it. It's a 226 with a 254 head... Overall clean but crusty and greasy in a few spots. I'm guessing it was rebuilt sometime before it got parked for good in the early 1980s.

I finally pulled the front clip off a month or so ago so I could get at the engine easier...

Before that I mostly was only able to do cleanup and small stuff (rebuilt the carb, new battery, tune up etc). I'll post some before/after pics of that stuff soon. I'm working on the generator and horn right now. Next is more cleanup and repair in the engine compartment, and finishing up the brakes/wheels before winter really rolls in. Hopefully I'll get started on the body work soon as well. Eeeeeeeeventually, I'd like to hop up the motor and swap out the tranny for something more functional, but that's down the road a ways.

Last edited by badger_hound; 10-23-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: #@#%$#% image processing???!!! ARRGGGHHH!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:51 AM
fish pond
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
what dont you like about the trans.? I just trailered home( 2 months ago)a 51 M3.
she has the no sycro 4 sp..
I would love a scycroed 4sp.
Greg

Old 10-24-2017, 12:26 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Hey Greg,

Mine has the spur gear (non-syncro) 4-sp, with the granny gear and direct drive in highest gear. I'd like to eventually get a stock syncro'd transmission with OD, or possibly an old brownie unit, or maybe go to a T-5, which is a popular upgrade with our trucks. There are a ton of old discussions here on this topic, and known issues with these conversions.

OT - have you done much fishing in the lakes around Pinckney? I tried ice fishing on Half-Moon a couple winters ago and got skunked.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:30 PM
fish pond
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I am thinking we are not going to find a Scyronized 4 sp that bolts up, something modded your thinking of eh?
i think I am going to try my luck with the brute thats in mine for awhile.
I have lived here 38 years amongst state land, little mud hole 1/2 mile south is all I ever fished, maybe 30-40 acres, usta fish it couple times a week.
aint hit it in a couple years. never fished the "chain of lakes" as the seven or so are called. What part of Mi. are you in?
Greg

Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
According to the shop manual, there is a synchronized 4-speed that came with the 254 big six, which would have been standard for the F-6 trucks. 1st and reverse are spur gear though. I don't think these are that popular though, because the gear ratios are the same as the 4-spd spur gearbox (granny 1st, direct drive 4th). There is a more popular stock synchronized 3-spd light duty tranny that should bolt right up though... no granny gear, but no OD either.

I'm up in the Lansing area. I meant to get out to do more fishing this summer, but there always seems to be something else that gets in the way!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:10 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
weekend update

Got some cleanup done this weekend on the engine compartment, and pulled a few more parts off for rehab.

Before

After

For comparison, here's what the interior looked like when I got it and what it looks like now.

Before

After

Old 10-30-2017, 11:55 AM
49rusty2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great improvements on both interior and engine compartment! Hope we get to see more pics of your progress along the way too. Maybe I can get some inspiration from your work. Mines been sitting neglected for too long also.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Looks like a good start! Amazing what a little scrubbing and painting will do.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:33 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
The optional 3-speed synchro is the Warner T-87D. Much easier to use than the crash-box. Some folks here have gone so far as to go with special bell housings and bolt up automatics. For my purposes, I'll stick with the T-87. With 4:11 gearing in back, my F-2 should do OK at moderate speeds, say 55 MPH. Not too keen on pushing it more than that given that I am keeping the original braking system.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the compliments. I'm still undecided as to whether I should just clean up the rust and run with red primer/old paint (my original plan) or commit to a new paint job while I have the truck apart. As much as I like preserving the truck's history by keeping the dings, dents, and original finish, I'm not a huge fan of the patina'd look. I'd much rather have a shiny paint job sooner rather than later... even so, I could easily have it back on the road next spring if I don't paint it. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the tip on the Warner T-87, J.D. I really need to dig up some of the old threads on this topic at some point. As I said, I'd like to hop the engine up some in the future as well, but brakes, wheels, rust-abatement and electrical are all on deck before seriously altering the driveline.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
more progress

I made some more progress this last week, but not all that much. I cleaned up and painted the original rims from this truck a few years back, but they are pretty corroded inside, so I don't feel comfortable driving on them. However, I
finally got around to mounting the cracked up old bias plies from the parts truck onto them, so now I have some good looking rollers that will allow me to get the parts truck rims cleaned up over the winter. Plus since the other set of rims looked pretty good (little or no corrosion around the inside of the valve stem holes or the hub rivets) I'm leaning more towards new bias ply tires rather than radials. I still need to dismount the spare and check that rim.

I also managed to reassemble the generator that I've been rebuilding for the past few weeks.

Before:

During:

Assembled:

No big surprises here. Although I do wish I could find a source for odd little parts like the plastic bushing that isolates the field post from the generator housing. Mine was broken and I had to fab up a replacement from nylon spacers from the hardware store.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 AM
TitusDH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're doing a great job in bringing this truck back to life.

I work myself slowly but steadily through the engine mounted stuff like generator, starter, carb, etc. as well to begin with.
As I have my F2 only for 10 days now, you are way ahead for sure. Rather than repaint things to a like new condition I only lightly coat them with boiled Linseed oil. I like the used look very much, although the amount of work in preparation is nearly the same. Essentially, only the pigments in the paint are missing.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Badger,
Thanks for posting your engine clip! That's what victory looks/sounds like!
I like it! I bet that's the first time it's run in years...that's a great accomplishment!

I took my old 1950 F1 down to pick up some reclaimed wood floors yesterday from a jobsite.
They were surprised to see such an old truck still working. Keep up the momentum.. you are
getting there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the feedback! Slow and steady wins the race...

Titus - I like the worn in look too, but I am a sucker for nice, shiny new paint!

Old 08-16-2020, 02:44 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Well, I'm officially back at it after a three year break. My plan is to hopefully get the engine painted and back together, and getting the brakes working by the end of fall. Here was my starting point last week:

August 2020
Since then I've stripped off most of the brackets, accessories, and manifolds so I can clean those up and prep everything for painting. Here's what it looks like now, but without the crank pulley assembly.

Lifting the engine so the pulley will clear the front crossmember

I also did a crack repair to the outer water jacket; I'm going to post a how-to on that separately sometime in the near future.

Quick Reply: Return of the Redwood Express - another flathead brought back from the dead