2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F250 6.7 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:18 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As a rule I usually give most people and situations the benefit of the doubt. In this case I'm having a bit of an issue accepting this claim. I don't mean to sound like a total septic but there's something about this one that just don't read (sound) right. Sorry!

Old 10-25-2017, 03:33 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by shortride
As a rule I usually give most people and situations the benefit of the doubt. In this case I'm having a bit of an issue accepting this claim. I don't mean to sound like a total septic but there's something about this one that just don't read (sound) right. Sorry!
Like maybe the OP made the fueling error himself? That's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by roadpilot
I have no idea what you're talking about relative to smartphones vs. desktop computers. They are, in essence, the exact same device with different physical footprints.
The difference I refer to is wireless versus wired. I distrust wireless devices because any of those signals can be captured. I've even listened to cell phone conversations a few years ago using a basic scanner. I don't do anything financially related on my phone or any of my wireless devices at home ... always a wired connection for that. I'm sure you've heard about thieves using technology to capture keyfob signals for push button start vehicles, then reproduce those signals to unlock and operate the then-stolen vehicle. I now use RFID blocker pouches to store my fobs ... also installed a hidden fuel pump cut-off switch. I work for a company which builds aircraft carriers and submarines where maintaining and advancing electronic security is a never ending and evolving process.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:16 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The OP fueled up with diesel that was contaminated with water. When pumping diesel with water, its going to be somewhat emulsified, but over the next 48 hours, it will start to separate out at the bottom of the tank and eventually get pulled into the primary filter. I think his question is a valid one. Why didn't the water in fuel light come on, so he would at least try and drain the water separator. He would have then known not to start it, until he had a successful drain and the Water in Fuel light went off. I think this is his concern and he is trying to validate why the light didn't come on. He also mentioned he has used no additives, so that rules out emulsifiers being used that would have masked the WIF. With the cost of this repair, I cant help but think there was a lot of water in the systems, all the way to the injectors, through the high pressure fuel pump, and all fuel lines.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:17 PM
TexasPowerStroke
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always keep the last 2 receipts. I did this with my firsf diesel truck and now this one. I try to always fill at the same station and if not, I fill up at one that I know has a lot of diesel traffic. I will drive out of the way to fill up at my preferred place.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
The difference I refer to is wireless versus wired. I distrust wireless devices because any of those signals can be captured.
Do you think the packets from your WIRED computer can't be captured? Think again. I can capture any/all, regardless of delivery media.

Most distrust of technology isn't the fault of the technology. It's the fault of the user. The vast majority of data and accounts that get compromised are NOT done because some computer nerd is sitting out on your street with a laptop. It's done by social engineering (look it up) - which has NOTHING to do with the technology, someone having improperly configured his/her hardware or by a rogue employee (e.g., of your financial institution) committing a crime.

I had a long technical response written to address your concerns above, but I'm sure eveyone her would prefer that we remain on topic.

After ~35 years in IT (many in network infrastructure and the last 12 in a director role), but there's no need to carry on. I'll just let you continue to enjoy living in the 1980s, scared of your own technological shadow ... LOL

Old 10-26-2017, 02:12 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by roadpilot
Most distrust of technology isn't the fault of the technology. It's the fault of the user.
Yes, that's the weakest link in OP-SEC.

Now back on topic: I'm curious why the fuel system repair estimate is "only" $6,800 when others have mentioned amounts closer to $10K.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM
madsen203
Junior User
Originally Posted by cficare
Yes, that's the weakest link in OP-SEC.

Now back on topic: I'm curious why the fuel system repair estimate is "only" $6,800 when others have mentioned amounts closer to $10K.
Cash customer discount? Maybe they feel bad? Maybe the diagnosis didn't take much? Maybe they skimped on the job and only replaced affected parts?

Curious to know the outcome myself!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 PM
toofast4u26
New User
I recently bought a 6.7 Ford F-250. I had this message pop up on the dash a couple months ago "Fuel Pressure Low". I was told by the service department at Ford that the fuel filter needed to be replaced. So I drove it until I had close to 15k miles on it (2 months) and then brought it in for service. I received a call from the dealership a day later stating that my fuel system was contaminated with water and that the whole fuel system needed to be replaced ($8,600.00). I claimed it with my insurance company and after they pulled a diesel sample and sent it off to a lab they said there was no water at all in my diesel tank and that they would not cover any of it. Ford is saying the opposite and they will not cover it either because it is not a manufacturer defect. My thinking is that there is no water in the diesel tank like the insurance company has said. I only say this because the other diesel mechanics I have spoken with have all said that if there was water in the fuel tank I would notice it in how the truck performs on the road. I haven't noticed the truck running bad at all and it has done nothing but perform great. I am really confused on how to move forward with this. Any ideas?