2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Hubs in locked position

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hubs in locked position

Saturday, me and the family took a road trip to Starkville to watch Mississippi State vs Kentucky. Once we arrived I noticed that when making a hard left or right turn there was a clunking sound and feeling coming from the front end. Once we parked I noticed that some idiot turned the hubs in the LOCKED position, and I drove all the way there on the interstate with the hubs locked. Obviously, it was in 2WD.

I started to think how that could have happened as I have only owned it for a few days prior and I never even touched the hubs. The day before the trip I dropped off the truck to the dealer to get the tires re-balanced. Those guys are the only ones fooling with the tires. Why in the hell did they put the hubs in LOCKED position is beyond me.

Any chance there could be any damage driving with the hubs locked for the trip?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:47 PM
mwheue
More Turbo
Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts
Mine were in the locked position when I bought it. It won't hurt anything in 2wd except your fuel mileage.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
If you have ESOF, get a pair of rear-wheel hub caps and stick 'em on the front.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:52 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts
Hubs locked in is fine, I lock mine for the entire winter, freeway, city, etc.,

Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it had hurt anything, but being a new truck I was not sure if things had changed.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM
AJB-830
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tact
Saturday, me and the family took a road trip to Starkville to watch Mississippi State vs Kentucky. Once we arrived I noticed that when making a hard left or right turn there was a clunking sound and feeling coming from the front end. Once we parked I noticed that some idiot turned the hubs in the LOCKED position, and I drove all the way there on the interstate with the hubs locked. Obviously, it was in 2WD.

I started to think how that could have happened as I have only owned it for a few days prior and I never even touched the hubs. The day before the trip I dropped off the truck to the dealer to get the tires re-balanced. Those guys are the only ones fooling with the tires. Why in the hell did they put the hubs in LOCKED position is beyond me.

Any chance there could be any damage driving with the hubs locked for the trip?
One time when I rotated the tires on my 2002, I put the front hubs in the lock position as it makes it easier to get the tire on as the wheel won't spin. Forgot about it for 6 months or so and it didn't hurt a thing. So the dealer probably did it when you had the wheels balanced and someone forgot to unlock them. Al

Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
From what I've read it's pretty common for the hubs to be locked when the dealer gets the truck off the transport, I suppose some dealers forget to unlock them during the dealer prep.

You didn't hurt anything except your mileage. In fact it probably did the front end some good to get things broke in. I like to lock my hubs in once a month and drive around for a day to get the lube warmed up and spread around.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 PM
jackjude24
Junior User
How can you tell if the hubs are locked on my 2017 lariat 6.2

Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jackjude24
How can you tell if the hubs are locked on my 2017 lariat 6.2
Look at the front hubs and turn in the direction the arrows show.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 PM
magiaone
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto vs Locked....

Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 PM
ScrmnWoody
New User
I freaking love this forum.

I've had my new (2017) truck for three weeks and run about 1000 miles. The last few days, I've noticed a binding up feeling/sound as if I'm in four wheel drive. I kept thinking this thing is electronic four wheel drive. So, how can I be in four wheel drive. I was worried about the lugs, alignment, balance, the unknown. I came on here to ask the same questions and it's being answered already.

Thanks for for the help. My hubs came from the dealership in the lock position and I didn't realize that was even an option with electronic four wheel drive.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ScrmnWoody

I've had my new (2017) truck for three weeks and run about 1000 miles. The last few days, I've noticed a binding up feeling/sound as if I'm in four wheel drive. I kept thinking this thing is electronic four wheel drive. So, how can I be in four wheel drive. I was worried about the lugs, alignment, balance, the unknown. I came on here to ask the same questions and it's being answered already.

Thanks for for the help. My hubs came from the dealership in the lock position and I didn't realize that was even an option with electronic four wheel drive.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 PM
saskowner
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScrmnWoody

If you could feel binding then your dash switch must also have been set to 4 wheel drive. There should be no binding if only the hubs are locked.
Gary

Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 PM
ScrmnWoody
New User
Originally Posted by saskowner
If you could feel binding then your dash switch must also have been set to 4 wheel drive. There should be no binding if only the hubs are locked.
Gary
The dash switch is pushed in (locker) and in 2H. I moved the hubs to Auto. I'll see what happens.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:43 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I am amazed at the number of Super Duty trucks that are pdi'd and still have the hubs locked. Mine were too. I knew to check from reading the forum so I unlocked them right away. How hard is it to put this on a check list and follow it?

It is not the end of the world, but it speaks to a lazy attitude by the prep person.

Quick Reply: Hubs in locked position