Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:27 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=oldbird1965;17574007]Don't get a ticket testing! lol [/QUOTE}

Who would do that!?

Originally Posted by tshrager
I may go ahead and try them. Unless I can find a nice set used. Mine are just so pitted out, I would hate to go through the work I'm doing just to need new manifolds in a few years. Thanks for the input.

I know it sure ran well when we convoyed outta Tn. Who knows if the uppies were sealed up then vs now. This is a really cool concept Nate. Kudos to you for getting some hard data. Reps if I could.
I wouldn't be afraid to try them out. Like you said, for the money, it'd be hard to go wrong.

Thanks, Todd. It's a good 'ol truck and I'm stoked to get this data logged and be able to share it, as well as to take the truck up a notch (or three). I have a buddy with a 6.0 that we go camping with and I'd like to make sure I can keep up with him (actually, I'd like to make sure it's hard for him to keep up)! 2 years ago he was towing with a Suburban and he had trouble keeping up with us, now he has a 6.0 F-350 and I wouldn't mind giving him a run for his money again.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=DIYMechanic;17574726]
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Don't get a ticket testing! lol [/QUOTE}

Who would do that!?

I wouldn't be afraid to try them out. Like you said, for the money, it'd be hard to go wrong.

Thanks, Todd. It's a good 'ol truck and I'm stoked to get this data logged and be able to share it, as well as to take the truck up a notch (or three). I have a buddy with a 6.0 that we go camping with and I'd like to make sure I can keep up with him (actually, I'd like to make sure it's hard for him to keep up)! 2 years ago he was towing with a Suburban and he had trouble keeping up with us, now he has a 6.0 F-350 and I wouldn't mind giving him a run for his money again.
You won't have any problems. We have 6.0's, 5.4's, V10's, 6.4's and 6.7's at work. Only thing my truck can't touch in keeping up are the brand spanking new 6.7's. Well, before I tore it to pieces. Lol

Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Made the stock run last night and got some numbers. I took video of the run and the process, I'm hoping I can put together a little Youtube series on this project and post the links here.

In a nutshell, with the testing I did, fully stock truck. Only things not 100% stock were the 6637 air intake (which I think is a negligible change at this power level) and the 3" Downpipe (which I think is not really a real restriction compared to the stock catalytic converter I reinstalled). Towing a 7,000 pound trailer to put some load on the truck. -

-Max boost (via data logging) was right around 18 PSI (gauge showed closer to 20).
-Max EGT was 1125*F which is higher that I thought it would be. This reinforces that if you're going to tune your truck, you really should have gauges on it.
-ICP topped out at 2580 PSI with IPR duty cycle at 35%, which indicates that the HPO system is working well.

The truck really did a good job of bossing that trailer around for a stock truck.

Got back from that run, tore the stock exhaust off of it and installed the full 5" Diamond eye system. 3" DP, 5" straight pipe from there back, single rear exit. Had time for a test drive last night and drove the truck to work this morning. I'm thrilled with this kit. Seriously thrilled. I can't wait to drive the truck home this afternoon (and that's not just because I can't wait to get back to the project). The tone generated through that 5" pipe is a nice deep, mellow rumble with a much-improved turbo whistle. Downshifting coming up to a stop really makes the turbo scream through that big pipe. Noise levels inside the cab are not bad at all. You can hear the deep tone of the exhaust, but it is not at all disturbing and there is no drone at any speed I have found thus far. One of the best things about the install is that it clears the suspension and spare tire with no problem whatsoever. I really have no complaints whatsoever.

Tonight I hope to make another run with the trailer with this setup in place, then punch the Hydra into the PCM and maybe make that run as well. At this point, I have a nice tune that Andrew gave me for stock (90/0) injectors. I may also pull a couple from PHP's website and dump them into the Hydra as well to see if there is one there that I like better. It sure is nice to have the option to be able to do it immediately without sending the chip off to be re-flashed.

I'm shooting for keeping things moving and to have the 160/0 injectors in the truck before the beginning of next week. It may be a little ambitious to try and cram all that work and all those test runs and data collection into the time I have between now and then, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway.

More info soon.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Farmet, explain that for me above. In Mexico most of the houses are made by solid materials, not wood like in USA, so we dont use that standards, and we use more milimeters than inches, but the tape measure comes with the two scales, and Im going to check if they are also marked with the 16" in some way.

Here is the example of one of my tapes, also Stanley brand, made in Mexico, you can see the two scales, one pulgadas and the other metros, and the only marks in black are for the feet, not at the 16" as yours

Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2017, 11:57 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Jose, it never ceases to amaze me how many little things like this are different from one culture to the next. Thank you for sharing!

Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Jose, it never ceases to amaze me how many little things like this are different from one culture to the next. Thank you for sharing!
Yes you are right. You are welcome.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Wow, this thing is a beast already, I can't even imagine what it's going to do with those stage 1's.

Towed the trailer around the loop with stock calibrations, upgrades are just exhaust and intake (plus e-fuel, which is more a supporting mod). No tune, no chip, just the PCM.

Results are as follows:

- Max Boost: 22 psi as measured by the Map sensor. Gauge showed more or less the same thing.
- Max EGT: Right around 1125* F.
- Max HPO was more or less the same as it was before the exhaust, 2572 psi at 34% IPR Duty Cycle.

Since the chip installation was pretty straightforward (having the PCM all prepped already) I decided to put that in and run it again using the hot stock tune that Andrew sent me. Truck did not like the tune at all. Throttle response was jerky and anything above half throttle, the truck fell on its face. ICP and IPR DC were through the roof (3100psi and 46% DC). Kinda weird.

But, the beauty of the Hydra is that you can add and remove tunes in a flash so I loaded up a 80T tune from PHP (access to their tunes comes with the purchase of the chip) and tried again. Truck like that a lot better. The throttle response was a lot more linear, and I had full use of the pedal. And use it I did! Numbers for the "tuned stock and exhaust" arrangement were as follows:
- Max Boost: 25 psi
- Max EGT: Right around 1100*F
- Max HPO: 3113 at 39% IPR D/C

If someone would have told me that you could push 25 PSI of boost out of a truck with stock injectors and a stock turbo, I would have called them a liar, but that's what I datalogged with Torque Pro and it agrees with what I saw on the boost gauge. I legitimately thought the gauge was off until I saw the datalog and it agreed.

The truck is definitely more spunky in this configuration. I saw it in the performance towing uphill with the trailer behind it.

Next step is EBPV delete and turbo wheel. I may just do them both at the same time to simplify the process and speed things along. Anyway, that's what I'm up to today.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look at all that I have missed in my absence!! I need to log in more...Nate I cant wait to see videos... I love all the technical analysis you are doing...

Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lee00
look at all that I have missed in my absence!! I need to log in more...Nate I cant wait to see videos... I love all the technical analysis you are doing...
Thanks, Lee! I can't wait to see where the data takes us.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Dude....bro....quite the accomplishment! Those boost numbers are great! Heck, all the numbers are great. This is getting fun.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice work Nate. I've always been a fan of the php tunes, it's what I run all the time in my truck. This is quite interesting to follow along.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:16 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
A little more progress last night.

Got the turbo put together with the new wheel, gutted the EBPV, and let it sit for the silicone to cure on the compressor housing. Hope to clean up the valley, find my intermittent fuel leak, and get it all put back together tonight. I'd like to use the truck tomorrow morning for a while, then tear into the injectors. Hope to have them in before Monday morning.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Nice work Nate! You aren't fooling around. Call me OCD, cuz I am, but is it sad that I am looking forward to that valley being shiny more than anything else? LOL

Old 11-15-2017, 06:40 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Nice work Nate! You aren't fooling around. Call me OCD, cuz I am, but is it sad that I am looking forward to that valley being shiny more than anything else? LOL
We shall see what happens....

Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Made 2 more pulls yesterday and then tore into the truck pretty hard.

Did a nice tow with the turbo upgrades (EBPV Delete and Riffraff Billet wheel).

So just to recap, mods on the truck for this run are: Turbo wheel, EBPV delete, 3" DP into a 5" straight pipe, 6637 air filter, Hydra and PHP 80hp Tow tune.

Results:
Max Boost: 25.12 PSI
Max EGT: Just over 1100* F
Max HPO: 3112PSI at 39% IPR Duty Cycle

Truck Runs GOOOD in this form.

I think I'm gonna be in trouble with the stock charger and 1s. (Andrew told me I would be).

Once again, I have video of all these runs that I intend to post, I just need to find the time to edit them down and upload them to Youtube. Too busy wrenching right now.

Quick Reply: The DIYMechanic Step by Step Mod Results Thread