Center to center on the studs.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:01 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by farmert
Center to center on the studs.
Excellent Tanks again. Every day you learn something new.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Yeah, that's a bit much. You're just "regrouping" right now. It's for the best, I'm sure.

I spent a couple hours on the truck last night was able to get the exhaust manifolds off the truck.

You can clearly see where both sides were leaking on the rearmost cylinder.

I'm going to have a buddy of mine flatten them out with his surface grinder, then I plan to reinstall with some high temp silicone (thanks, Aaron for the recommendation - I've found that same recommendation in a couple old threads I've been able to locate on the interwebz). Actually, the job wasn't really as bad as I thought it might be. All but one of the bolts came out with a socket and swivel, working through the wheel well with the fender liner in place. Had one bolt head round off before I was able to break it loose, but I was able to reach in and cut it off with a cutoff wheel. Unfortunately, I'll likely loose the weekend going this route, which kills me, but it saves me $150 over having the local machine shop machine the faces (sheesh guys, I can buy brand new manifolds for barely more than that). I'll use the time to remove the couple bolts that are stuck in the head, maybe clean the EBPV tube, and work on some other projects. At any rate, progress is being made.

All the rest of the parts (exhaust, turbo wheel, tuner, tunes, injectors, o-rings, HPOP and gasket) are sitting on the bench in a neat little pile just waiting... Seems that pile should be a lot bigger for what it cost.

Were you look at Dorman manifolds? Our favorite sponsor has them on his site for 400. A piece. Mine are so pitted, I would like to buy new. But 800 for manifolds!!?? Lord.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:15 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
One OT and dumb question Nate, why in the ruler the # 16 is in red?

That's my Stanley tape measure an in the US we lay out wood framing (in most instances) with the studs on 16" centers. Since the tape measure is a carpenter's tool, the 16" increments are all highlighted in red to make laying out framing for a wall easier. I take it the standards are different in Mexico?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:23 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tshrager
Were you look at Dorman manifolds? Our favorite sponsor has them on his site for 400. A piece. Mine are so pitted, I would like to buy new. But 800 for manifolds!!?? Lord.
Amazon. I hate to undercut our favorite sponsor, but a guy's gotta save where he can. There are plenty of things I would go to them for, but for some stuff, I just gotta "Prime it" and get it done.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Note: I Did Not verify that these part numbers match, so don't order them without making sure they're right. I like Amazon, but I'm not sure I trust their parts lookup system just yet. Buyer beware.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
150 bucks, sheesh! That's a rip off. But good on your buddy for helping you out! That will hopefully help.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Amazon. I hate to undercut our favorite sponsor, but a guy's gotta save where he can. There are plenty of things I would go to them for, but for some stuff, I just gotta "Prime it" and get it done.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-674-38...haust+manifold

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-674-38..._&dpSrc=detail

Note: I Did Not verify that these part numbers match, so don't order them without making sure they're right. I like Amazon, but I'm not sure I trust their parts lookup system just yet. Buyer beware.
Ok, that Amazon link is for Dorman manifolds. Clay is listing Motorcraft. I'm assuming that's why the giant price difference.

Has anyone actually used the Dorman manifolds? I hate to say it, but for those prices you could replace them almost 4 times before you get to the price of Motorcrafts.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:43 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I wouldn't think they would be all that bad? Maybe they are refurbished Mororcraft? I would only think they would be bad if they were subpar metal? They are right for the price.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:24 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Ive used the Dorman manifolds on all the 6.0 Chevys and GMC´s at work and and 1 5.4 2v F250 and they seem good quality minus all the rough innards other than that they are good, how good will they be on our trucks? No clue. Because i resurfaced my exhaust manifolds when i rebuild the engine.
Stock 6.0 chevy exhaust manifold are real thin at the matting surface and they warp and snap the bolts easy, what I found out is that the Dorman were actually thicker than the OEM ones so +1 on Dorman.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Oh i almost forgot I also used them on the wifes Excursio.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Manifolds are fixed. The job really wasn't as bad as I expected (having done 5.4 manifolds in the past I imagined a similar experience here). Pulled them both off in about 2 hours, had a good friend and neighbor machine them flat, cleaned the heads with a scotchbrite ro-loc pad, smeared the heads with red RTV, and slapped it all back together. Let it sit for 24 hours before driving it. Maybe it's just me being overly sensitive and wanting to justify the effort, but it seems to run better already.

At any rate, I weighed the truck on the scales at work this morning (7520 pounds with me in the cab) and I plan to load the trailer, get a weight again this afternoon and then do the first round of testing this evening.

I plan to do the following sequence for testing as it seems to most closely resemble most guys' progression as they mad their trucks:
-Stock (as much as possible)
-Intake and Exhaust
-Chip
-Delete the EBPV
-Billet Turbo Wheel
-Intercooler
-Stage 1 Injectors (with the appropriate tunes)
-17* HPOP

Each "run" will be done with the truck at full operating temperature, over the same route (a big hill near my place). I plan to measure EGT up the hill from a set speed, and mat the throttle to see what the speed at the peak of the hill will be. Planning on a set speed (maybe 45 MPH) at the base of the hill in 4th gear (direct). I'd also like to measure turbo spool up by starting at around 1500 RPM and plotting RPM and Boost against each other. I figure that will be a good test of the billet wheel, and I'm curious to see how it compares to stock.

Any objections to that sequence or method? Any other input?

Old 11-06-2017, 11:08 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's my Stanley tape measure an in the US we lay out wood framing (in most instances) with the studs on 16" centers. Since the tape measure is a carpenter's tool, the 16" increments are all highlighted in red to make laying out framing for a wall easier. I take it the standards are different in Mexico?
Farmet, explain that for me above. In Mexico most of the houses are made by solid materials, not wood like in USA, so we dont use that standards, and we use more milimeters than inches, but the tape measure comes with the two scales, and Im going to check if they are also marked with the 16" in some way.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:18 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I was really hoping to get the first run made this evening, but it just didn't work out. Got the skid steer (paper weight) loaded up on the trailer and weighed. Truck / trailer combo weighs in at 14,400 pounds, so the trailer weighs about 6,900 pounds. I wish I could add about another ton to that, but it should be sufficient to make the data legitimate.

Test logged a couple runs on the way home and yeah, I wish I would have found and fixed those leaking exhaust manifolds a long time ago...

I'll save the numbers for when I report the first run but needless to say, for a stock truck it runs pretty doggone good!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Don't get a ticket testing! lol

Old 11-07-2017, 08:35 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Ive used the Dorman manifolds on all the 6.0 Chevys and GMC´s at work and and 1 5.4 2v F250 and they seem good quality minus all the rough innards other than that they are good, how good will they be on our trucks? No clue. Because i resurfaced my exhaust manifolds when i rebuild the engine.
Stock 6.0 chevy exhaust manifold are real thin at the matting surface and they warp and snap the bolts easy, what I found out is that the Dorman were actually thicker than the OEM ones so +1 on Dorman.
I may go ahead and try them. Unless I can find a nice set used. Mine are just so pitted out, I would hate to go through the work I'm doing just to need new manifolds in a few years. Thanks for the input.

I was really hoping to get the first run made this evening, but it just didn't work out. Got the skid steer (paper weight) loaded up on the trailer and weighed. Truck / trailer combo weighs in at 14,400 pounds, so the trailer weighs about 6,900 pounds. I wish I could add about another ton to that, but it should be sufficient to make the data legitimate.

Test logged a couple runs on the way home and yeah, I wish I would have found and fixed those leaking exhaust manifolds a long time ago...

I'll save the numbers for when I report the first run but needless to say, for a stock truck it runs pretty doggone good!
I know it sure ran well when we convoyed outta Tn. Who knows if the uppies were sealed up then vs now. This is a really cool concept Nate. Kudos to you for getting some hard data. Reps if I could.

Quick Reply: The DIYMechanic Step by Step Mod Results Thread