***Shop tips, tricks, and tools. Got a neat gadget you came up with? Post it here! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

***Shop tips, tricks, and tools. Got a neat gadget you came up with? Post it here!

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

***Shop tips, tricks, and tools. Got a neat gadget you came up with? Post it here!

Old 02-05-2018, 06:40 AM
lilorbie
Senior User
lilorbie is starting off with a positive reputation.
some of you may already know this but i just found out about it. an easy way to get bushings out is take a hole saw just a little smaller than the bushing and chuck it in a drill press and Slowly drill the bushing out. i would have used a press but i don,t have one.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Thipdar
Elder User
Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.
I was trying to deal with some wiring issues and pushed a firewall grommet out of the firewall in order to unwrap the electrical tape from the harness.

The grommet and wire harness didn't want to go back in when I was done.

I tried to lubricate it with some Ivory Soap, but that wasn't enough.

I finally made up this piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and used it to push the grommet in place.

I was able to hold the grommet in place while an assistant worked the grommet lip through the firewall with a small straight slot screwdriver.

Ultimately, I had to make the slot at the end larger than I'd expected, but that's because the taped wire harness wouldn't collapse like an untaped bundle of wires would.

I started the process by using a black sharpie to draw the parts that I wanted to cut away, then I roughed in the cut with a 1/4" drill bit in the battery-powered screwdriver. Edges were smoothed and the final gap was whittled into shape with a little tedious help from my Leatherman.