Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need urgent help, stuck on interstate with anemic truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:20 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When my truck s were loosing power while pulling, the IPR% would climb over 60% while the ICP pressure would drop below 1800psi. What is happening is the HPOP can't keep up with the demand for oil because of the oil leaking around the o-rings. When cold, oil is thick and o-rings are still, so not likely to leak. When warm, oil is thinner, o-rings softer, so more likely to leak. I never had any white smoke when this was an issue. You may well have something else going on. I agree that running straight diesel would be best till you get the problem resolved.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am in the process of uploading some snap shots of TP I took at various times I did the best to get a few that were taken while the issue was occureing to help provide numbers for those who might know whats going on.

ADDED PICTURES: Hope these might help some.

EDIT: here is a quick video of it trying to get up a small hill after it died perhaps this will give better insight in how its behaving?

https://*******/GMS4b

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
How many miles are on the truck? 460,030 (give or take a few, giving rough estament as its dark, but its close to that)
How many miles are on the injectors? im not really sure, I am guessing they may be original with 460,030 miles on them possibly
Do you know what the IPR% is reading while under accelleration? Check the two pictures, both were snapped while my foot was in the happy pedal all the way to the floor
And, while accelerating, what's the ICP reading? again check the pictures posted above, they were both taken while under acceleration/load
Is the ICP dropping while the IPR% is climbing?not that I can tell, looks like both are staying where they should be

Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like it's only running on half the cylinders.
Have you ohmed out the nine pin connectors at the valve covers?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your IPR is really low if these are acceleration numbers. I think HD Rider is on the right track. Can you pull any codes? Did you get a screenshot of what was happening when it was running so rough?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Also take a close look at the wiring harness where it goes over the drivers side valve cover, they can rub through and short out, which can shut down one bank of injectors.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
I will see what I can find, I’m not the greatest when it comes to the electrical side of things however.

keep in mind that the screen caps were taken with foot too the floor going up a small hill (video as well) also there is no SES light on (does not illuminate when issue is occurring either).

Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Chevota_72
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Keep in mind that the screen caps were taken with foot too the floor going up a small hill (video as well) also there is no SES light on (does not illuminate when issue is occurring either).
Was it running rough when the screenshots were taken? The IPR on the first screen shot is lower than what idle IPR usually is, and the second one looks like a engine that is warming up at idle.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Chevota_72
Was it running rough when the screenshots were taken? The IPR on the first screen shot is lower than what idle IPR usually is, and the second one looks like a engine that is warming up at idle.
when I get time I’ll try and rerun the truck, and get fresh screenshots

Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
ok had time to play with the truck sonme and managed to get it to a friend who has worked on a lot of diesels of the Ford veriety (mostly the 7.3 IDI and 7.3 DI) but he took the truck and we romped on it a bit (I am sure Stinky Jr. wasn;t too thrilled but meh) but after we got it warmed up and the issue to happen he took it to a small incline near his place and got the truck to behave like it has been and he is 90% sure its fuel delivery ralated and there is either one or a combination of issues at play.

1: there is bad fuel in the tank
2: something is clogging up the pick up foot/screens
3: combination of both

So at this point with me, my brother and my brothers friend all thinking along the same lines of fuel delivery/bad fuel were going to treat it as a bad fuel/time for the H&H mod situation.

So with that in mind, is there anyone close to me who might be able to help perform the Hutch mod (I can handle the harpoon part as I have cutters that will snip off the in tank tubes real quick) as im not great with working on any type of metal lines (no bending tools or anything to weld metal lines together).

also while were performing the H&H and replacing the pick up foot and its screens is there any thing else you guys might suggest doing/hitting while we got the tank down and out?

also shold I hold onto the spare IPR that I bought or should I just take it back as the current one still seems to work (I am assuming if it was failing or has failed that the truck would not be starting at all).

Old 11-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
In post 19 of the thread below I made a list of parts I used to accomplish the H/H mods. I did not have any experience with metal tubing. It really is easy, the hardest part is lowering and raising the tank.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ne-almost.html

Someone recently (I think it was Colorado350) built their supplies list from my list and didn't have any problems.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sous
In post 19 of the thread below I made a list of parts I used to accomplish the H/H mods. I did not have any experience with metal tubing. It really is easy, the hardest part is lowering and raising the tank.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ne-almost.html

Someone recently (I think it was Colorado350) built their supplies list from my list and didn't have any problems.
Cool, thanks for the parts list, I will see about gathering the same parts and giving it a go then kind of wish that you were close to me so I could at least have your experienced guidance incase I needed it going to start ordering the required parts ASAP however....

also (assumeing 100% worst case senerio would a Motorcraft PS60 Fuel sender unit be compadible with my truck (or our trucks in general?) It looks like it would and looks to have every thing done other then the extended bit on the fuel return line for the in tank area....if thats the case I can at least deal with that my self and go from there....I am assumeing also that the white thing that contains the screens just slides off??

https://jet.com/product/detail/d5b3e...RoCkhsQAvD_BwE

Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
As Sous mentioned the worst part of this is getting the tank back into place and the only part that makes that difficult is reconnecting the filler neck. I used a very very cheap tubing bender that was to small so I accidentally pinched the return line on my first attempt at bending it and had to try again.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
since were going to be in the fuel tank, I figure now will be a good time to mod the tank to accept big rig pumps, as the tank will be away from any possible metal shavings I assume just a 1" hole saw will work to make the mod possible?

Old 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Is this just for extra fueling options? With the completed Hutch/Harpoon mods there shouldn't be any issues when "topping off".

Old 11-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Is this just for extra fueling options? With the completed Hutch/Harpoon mods there shouldn't be any issues when "topping off".
yes, its for the time if im traveling and need to use a big rig island to fuel for some reason.

Quick Reply: Need urgent help, stuck on interstate with anemic truck