Camper package or heavy service front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Camper package or heavy service front suspension

i posted this on the 2017+ SD site, but thought I might get a better response from the towing Forum.

So I’m a rookie to SD trucks as well as one day in the future plan to buy a fifth wheel( first learn the truck).

I want the 3.55 gears and when building the F350, I try to leave out these packages, but it will default me to the heavy service front suspension as soon as I pick the 3.55 gears( I understand you can also use the camper package as well). The truck will be my everyday ride so I’d prefer to not have either because even Ford has a disclaimer that an unloaded ride will be affected by these options.
So since I evidently must have one of these with the 3.55 choice, which of these would affect the unloaded ride the least and/or might be beneficial when towing a fifth wheel when that time comes.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
I've got a 2016 with 3.55 and has the "snow plow prep" which is the stiffer front springs. IMO, nothing to worry about, rides fine. Best thing to do is to air your tires down to 65psi all around when not towing heavy.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by djousma
I've got a 2016 with 3.55 and has the "snow plow prep" which is the stiffer front springs. IMO, nothing to worry about, rides fine. Best thing to do is to air your tires down to 65psi all around when not towing heavy.
Good to know. Thanks. Is one of these options more beneficial for fifth wheel towing?

Old 12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
seemoremud
Mountain Pass
The camper package also adds a rear sway-bar, which would be helpful with any towing.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:56 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
The stiff front springs IMO opinion are a good idea, especially when towing at or near your trucks GVWR. Plus, over time the spring settle a bit. As mentioned camper package does add sway bar. Although there are better aftermarket solutions for that.

One thing to consider, is whether or not you could deal with the extra 18" length by going to the LB. The reason I bring it up, is you then get the 40+ gallon fuel tank and no worries about whether you would need a slider hitch or not.

I'm currently in a F350 CC SB, and everything about it is great, except for the measly 26 gallon fuel tank. Which when towing means filling up about every 200 miles. I get between 8-10mpg depending on wind and my speed, and leaving a cushion of fuel. My next one will be the long bed.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I am aware I could add a Titan or Transferflow under body tank, but the cost of those are pretty prohibitive for something that you cant take with you when you sell the truck.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by djousma
The stiff front springs IMO opinion are a good idea, especially when towing at or near your trucks GVWR. Plus, over time the spring settle a bit. As mentioned camper package does add sway bar. Although there are better aftermarket solutions for that.

One thing to consider, is whether or not you could deal with the extra 18" length by going to the LB. The reason I bring it up, is you then get the 40+ gallon fuel tank and no worries about whether you would need a slider hitch or not.

I'm currently in a F350 CC SB, and everything about it is great, except for the measly 26 gallon fuel tank. Which when towing means filling up about every 200 miles. I get between 8-10mpg depending on wind and my speed, and leaving a cushion of fuel. My next one will be the long bed.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I am aware I could add a Titan or Transferflow under body tank, but the cost of those are pretty prohibitive for something that you cant take with you when you sell the truck.
the ‘17-18 SD’s do now have standard 34 gallon tanks, still a lot less than the LB’s 48. I have entertained the thought of a LB but since it will be my daily driver, will probably pass. If it was a tow vehicle only, I would surely get the LB.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:11 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Got it Larry. good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:44 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I have the snow plow prep, I always get it.
I have the camper package too. A must have.

Rides fine.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Fab man 235
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered with both camper/plow pkg. on my 17’ 350 regular cab and it rides great! I use it for work and empty or loaded it works for me. I went with with 4.30s in the rear with the locker and pulls nice with my 15k trailer, I don’t worry about mileage anyway I buy my trucks to work. Wrong ratios cause lots of heat in the drive line and that’s going to cost you sooner or later!

Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 AM
MODSSO
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your wanting a "good" ride unloaded you better look at a second truck as a daily driver. As far as gearing, you need to decide what kind of weight 5er you will be pulling and where (mountains/flat) before deciding on gearing. And as previously noted if your going to be pulling a 5er you NEED the camper package.

BTW - It's a HD truck, they all ride like a tank.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM
gotv10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to pill a 5th wheel, I'd opt for the camper package. I did on my last 3 Super Duty F250s. In addition to the rear stabilizer bar, you gain the 7 pin trailer connection in the bed to plug the 5th wheel into.

I also get the 5th wheel prep package for the puck type hitch. It's nice to have a load floor without the rails when not towing.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by gotv10
If you are going to pill a 5th wheel, I'd opt for the camper package. I did on my last 3 Super Duty F250s. In addition to the rear stabilizer bar, you gain the 7 pin trailer connection in the bed to plug the 5th wheel into.

I also get the 5th wheel prep package for the puck type hitch. It's nice to have a load floor without the rails when not towing.
If you get the fifth wheel prep, don’t you get the 7 pin trailer connection in the bed? So not a real benefit thenfor the camper package ?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Larrymac52
If you get the fifth wheel prep, don’t you get the 7 pin trailer connection in the bed? So not a real benefit thenfor the camper package ?
This is from the 2017 brochure but it was always standard on the truck even without ordering a package.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I ordered the snow plow prep for my 2015 just to get the 3.55 rear. I believe in reducing engine load, plus the engine runs a little cleaner at higher RPMs. My DP-Tuner tow tune holds gears a little longer and it extended my regen intervals by not letting my engine bog down.
And the fifth wheel prep is just hands down the best deal going to get any hitch in the bed of your truck.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 PM
SouthTXfiver
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a '16 F250 CCSB 6.2 with the camper package and I don't find the ride objectionable. My wife sometimes complains, but the ride is really no worse than the F150 I used to have. It is a truck after all.

If you're going to pull a fiver, get the camper package. Don't even think about it, just do it. If you're smart, or at least smarter than me, you'll get the F350 and avoid the hit you'll take trading trucks when you upgrade the fiver - and everyone does.

And I wouldn't worry about the F350 ride because the F250 with the camper package has the F350 rear springs.

Quick Reply: Camper package or heavy service front suspension