1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Need help convincing the S.O

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 PM
BullNose96
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help convincing the S.O

Hey all been having this argument with myself for a while now the wife and I like to road trip but now with the kiddo entering the picture my little fiesta doesn't cut it so we are getting something like a forester...... but shes agreed that we could use a truck because #badasstrucksarebadass but she thinks that no matter what I do my old horse wont make it I need some help to convince her otherwise or else...I may have to get rid of her for something new...I don't want to but we can only really have two cars

Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by BullNose96
we are getting something like a forester.
Sorry to hear that. In my overly inflated opinion, life is too short to drive a Subaru.

Originally Posted by BullNose96
I may have to get rid of her for something new.
​​​​​​​Wife or truck? You lost me...

Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 PM
BullNose96
4wd Low
Originally Posted by kr98664
Sorry to hear that. In my overly inflated opinion, life is too short to drive a Subaru.

​​​​​​​Wife or truck? You lost me...
the truck...cant get rid of the wife...love my kid to much

Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 PM
sdiesel
Senior User
you will always regret the vehicle you sold, when its impossible to ever regret selling a vehicle you never purchased

Old 10-21-2017, 01:13 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Family first and with a young'un, it might be best to have a more modern daily driver with more safety features like air bags.
I love my old trucks but would think twice about packing a baby around in one.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Brnfree
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
I honestly don't know how anyone survived walking to school alone, riding bikes and skateboards without a helmet, rolling around the back of a country squire station wagon without seatbelts, and riding in the open beds of pick up trucks! Haha.

But I also know from experience a car seat takes up a lot of room on the bench seat of a regular cab pick-up.

Fwiw, best vehicle for the little ones is a mini-van (gasp!) those big sliding doors make schlepping the baby and all the baby support equipment around so. much. easier!

Just get one with the biggest motor available to preserve as much of your masculinity as possible! Our old Plymouth Voyager was the fastest van in the pre-school parking lot. It could smoke the tires which took a lot of the sting out of the fact it was a mini-van.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Why can't you have 3 cars? I know in some places the taxes are kind of high and tags. But with older vehicles you always need a spare. You are not going to get anything for the fiesta anyway, and you can use it to go to work in. Leave the truck in the driveway and use it for truck things, use the new car to carry the baby in.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:31 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by Brnfree
I honestly don't know how anyone survived walking to school alone, riding bikes and skateboards without a helmet, rolling around the back of a country squire station wagon without seatbelts, and riding in the open beds of pick up trucks! Haha.

But I also know from experience a car seat takes up a lot of room on the bench seat of a regular cab pick-up.

Fwiw, best vehicle for the little ones is a mini-van (gasp!) those big sliding doors make schlepping the baby and all the baby support equipment around so. much. easier!

Just get one with the biggest motor available to preserve as much of your masculinity as possible! Our old Plymouth Voyager was the fastest van in the pre-school parking lot. It could smoke the tires which took a lot of the sting out of the fact it was a mini-van.
Back a few months ago my truck went in for some work and the dealer gave me a mini van. It had some ***** and liked it better that a 2016 HD 2500 4x4 they gave me the next time I had work done.

Originally Posted by Franklin2
Why can't you have 3 cars? I know in some places the taxes are kind of high and tags. But with older vehicles you always need a spare. You are not going to get anything for the fiesta anyway, and you can use it to go to work in. Leave the truck in the driveway and use it for truck things, use the new car to carry the baby in.
HOA is all I can say Every thing has to be in the garage and only have a 2 car garage to name 1 thing.

I say get rid of the fiesta, get a mini van and keep your truck.
If your truck broke down now you drive the fiesta right? Then drive the van instead.

btw my wifes car is a subie and for the 2 of us it is fine. Drove it from NC to NY and back over a weekend and did fine.
But it would not be my first pick if I had a kid I had to get in and out of a car seat in.
Try packing everything in the subie for a weekend getaway with the kid or 2? and you will wish for the mini van.
Dave ----

Old 10-21-2017, 05:04 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Happy wife, happy life.........

Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Back a few months ago my truck went in for some work and the dealer gave me a mini van. It had some ***** and liked it better that a 2016 HD 2500 4x4 they gave me the next time I had work done.

HOA is all I can say Every thing has to be in the garage and only have a 2 car garage to name 1 thing.

I say get rid of the fiesta, get a mini van and keep your truck.
If your truck broke down now you drive the fiesta right? Then drive the van instead.

btw my wifes car is a subie and for the 2 of us it is fine. Drove it from NC to NY and back over a weekend and did fine.
But it would not be my first pick if I had a kid I had to get in and out of a car seat in.
Try packing everything in the subie for a weekend getaway with the kid or 2? and you will wish for the mini van.
Dave ----
I like mini-vans also. But we were talking about this in another thread on here, I am not sure I would rely on one of these old trucks to get me to work everyday. They do have problems once in awhile, and having spare transportation takes the pressure off of keeping it running. If I had a HOA like that I think I would move.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:42 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah, if you need help convincing your wife that a 30 year old truck is a dependable daily driver, then I'd tell her that it isn't. For most people it simply isn't reliable enough, and will end up stranding them too often. Of course, the fact that we're on this board means that we're not "most people", but even most of us will need backup transportation too often to have a 30 year old truck as a primary vehicle. If you're one of the few of us that can make it work to have an old truck without having a backup, then you don't need our help convincing your wife.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Yeah, if you need help convincing your wife that a 30 year old truck is a dependable daily driver, then I'd tell her that it isn't. For most people it simply isn't reliable enough, and will end up stranding them too often. Of course, the fact that we're on this board means that we're not "most people", but even most of us will need backup transportation too often to have a 30 year old truck as a primary vehicle. If you're one of the few of us that can make it work to have an old truck without having a backup, then you don't need our help convincing your wife.
Heck I bought my 81 F100 as a back up to my 02 Durango that has left me stuck on the side of the road going to work at 1am and another time stalled in my drive and not restart at 3am and that is since 2015 when I moved to NC. It left me stuck 4 times in CT since I bought it new.

Remember other than the electronic IGN most stuff we can fix on the side of the road to get some place to fix it right. Try that with a fully computer controlled car/truck like my 02 Dodge!
JMO
Dave ----

Old 10-23-2017, 02:11 AM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When my daughter was a newborn I had my 89 4Runner... Rear seat but still a 2 door. Got to the point of dropping the tailgate and passing her through the back lol.

Kids are lot older now so getting that older truck is totally fine. Gotta have the reliable family car though.