2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0012 and what to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 PM
f150_fx4
New User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
P0012 and what to do

Its been awhile since I have posted here but I have a question on this code. Sorry this is kind of long. I have a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 and it has 174k miles. Well I was trying to sell this truck and I had someone interested. I brought it home from where I had it parked so they could look at it and put a deposit down. I bring it home the night before they were coming over and it ran fine all the way home. I put it in reverse and it acted like it wanted to stall. A check engine light came on so I pulled the code. It was code P0340 for camshaft position sensor. My dad replaced it and changed the oil this morning before the people came over to look at it. I came home took it for a 15 minute drive and all was good.

They took it for a test drive and when they came back it sounded like it wanted to stall but I wasn't sure. I asked them how it was dreading they were going to say it wanted to stall. They said they loved it and left a deposit. They left and I went to move the truck and noticed the check engine light was back on. This time it was for code P0012. It says camshaft position timing over retarded. What do I need to look for? The truck seems to run fine while driving. Could it be that I need to replace the piece under the cam shaft positioning solenoid (the part that is in the valve cover)? I agreed to a big down payment and the kid buying it is making payments until its paid off before he gets it and I don't want to screw him. I want to make this right but at the same time I just put a new rebuilt trans in it, front brakes, and inner tie rod ends and don't have a ton of cash to put more money into this truck.

Thanks guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm no mechanic but I can do the basics so this is all new to me

Old 10-20-2017, 01:04 AM
macubus
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unplug both VCT sensors and drive it around a bit. You'll get codes, but it probably will get the power back and it won't want to stall. If that's the case, then it can really be only a couple of things: Sticky VCT solenoids or a blown timing chain tensioner. Rarely it can be a bent phaser front tooth disc, but that is usually accompanied by a lot of ticking.

Basically if pulling the VCT power "fixes" the issue, then a removal and testing of the solenoid is warranted. Being an 04, you are in luck. You will only need to buy a seal and won't need to pull the cover to test.

Pull the seal with a screwdriver, break the t27 screw that holds the VCT in, and CAREFULLY pull the VCT out, paying attention to whether the screw or screen parts are coming out in pieces. If they are, you will need to fish them out with a forceps or similar tool. Be sure to keep all pieces together when you pull the solenoid out.

You will want to first test the electrical connecton. This should be between 5 to 15 ohms.

There is a clip at the bottom of the solenoid that you can pull and this allows the retainer, spring and valve body to be removed. If this is sticky you may be able to address the issue by running some very fine crocus cloth (BE VERY CONSERVATIVE WITH THIS IN ALUMINUM) or green 3m pad material and solvent in the bore and scrub the valve body with some 3M green pads and solvent as well.

The spring may be weak also but I am pretty sure there is no replacement part for it. If it is determined to be weak, you're just going to have to replace the solenoid since the tension is directly related to how much cam timing adjustment the engine receives.

If you feel you have addressed the issue with the solenoid you can then put the solenoid back together and then put it back in with some paper towels around the opening temporarily and test before putting the seal back in. If there are no codes, then congrats, problem solved. Drive it for a month to make sure you fixed it and you'll be selling with peace of mind. If you still get a code, then it is probably worth taking it in for a professional assessment.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM
f150_fx4
New User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks I will give it a try. I know some people wouldn't care and just sell it but I can't do that. Hell I just put in a new rebuilt trans in it and i paid 1800 cause i didn't want to sell it with a junk yard trans that could fail