DEALER TEARDOWN TO DIAGNOSE - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEALER TEARDOWN TO DIAGNOSE

Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM
New User

dalco1406 is starting off with a positive reputation.
DEALER TEARDOWN TO DIAGNOSE

On roadtrip, after 3 hours, my 6.7L 2014 F-350 (52k total miles) at constant throttle started to shake like on a washboard road. When fed fuel to speed up and downshift, it smoothed out until return to constant speed - then more shudder and shake. Turned around and made it home with "DPF Overloaded - Drive to Clean" message coming on. Then "Cleaning Message" for 20 minutes (longest ever). Made it home, shudder and shake all 150 miles, idle so rough afraid it would stall. This on a Saturday. Before taking to dealer first thing Monday, pulled the following stored codes: P0275, P0284, P0278, P0402, P246C, P0272, P0305. Dealer wants me to front $1700 to diagnose problem by tearing down engine, says may not be covered by my extended Ford warranty. Is this typical method to diagnose these codes?
Old 10-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Deplorable

Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Since they're saying no warrenty coverage, they must be thinking that you had water or other contaminate in the fuel. (If proven your insurance will cover this) Bad fuel causes the HPFP to fail, typically giving rail pressure codes.
I'm not convinced just looking at those codes. Cylinder balance and too high EGR flow has me looking hard at the EGR first.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
They have to tear the engine down for a diagnosis? Doesn't sound right to me but then I'm not a diesel mechanic.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:38 PM
New User

Sure doesn't sound right to me either. Agree about the EGR code (P0402) too. Changed fuel filter about 200 miles before problem, and found about 1/4 teaspoon of water in drained fuel. Don't think that could (or should ) cause any problems since it sits in the bottom of the filter housing. Also think DPF code P246C should be checked out before teardown. Anyway, they're tearing it down, so I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Postmaster

Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Assuming you have the Ford Premium ESP, I would have the dealer to contact Ford CSM to get guidance on how to proceed.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Go to another dealer.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Posting Guru

Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Go to another dealer.
I agree. 1300 to tear it down and no telling what they are getting into, I'd pass on that dealer. Either these guys have no clue what they are doing or they just want to make some money off you especially when they or you dont know where this is going.

I would definitely go elsewhere, the dealer is looking more like they are looking at their interest and not yours
Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Post Fiend

69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketlint View Post
I agree. 1300 to tear it down and no telling what they are getting into, I'd pass on that dealer. Either these guys have no clue what they are doing or they just want to make some money off you especially when they or you dont know where this is going.

I would definitely go elsewhere, the dealer is looking more like they are looking at their interest and not yours
And once tore down, if you don't agree with them they'll hand you a wheel barrow full of parts. I'd get it out of there. JMHO.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 AM
New User

vette_165 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've experienced the same situation except they always hand you an estimate for 15k to replace the "entire" fuel system...
Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM
New User

UPDATE. The dealer called and said they found 2 bent valves and a piston with a hole in the top of it and a piece of metal lying on top of the piston that they couldn't determine where it came from (turbo?). They said they were talking to Ford Rep to determine whether to repair or replace the engine. Stay tuned! Yes, I have the Ford Premium ESP good for 100k miles.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalco1406 View Post
UPDATE. The dealer called and said they found 2 bent valves and a piston with a hole in the top of it and a piece of metal lying on top of the piston that they couldn't determine where it came from (turbo?). They said they were talking to Ford Rep to determine whether to repair or replace the engine. Stay tuned! Yes, I have the Ford Premium ESP good for 100k miles.
Well that is one heck of an issue, but your ESP should cover that I would think. If there is bent valves then something went on and did some serious hurtin to the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if they just replaced the engine because I would think they'd be concerned what bent the valves and whether the piston or crank was hurt.

Definitely one heck of a turn of events. I am sure many of us will stay tuned
Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
A 2014 with this issue. I wonder what the root cause of the failure was.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Post Fiend

I'd be bending their ears towards the new engine unless they can confirm the root cause. With a new engine you also don't have to be concerned with the competence of the person putting it back together.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Postmaster

cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cangim is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you get a picture of said piece of metal? I wonder if it would provide a clue? Really what would make it in?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Posting Guru

my_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant future
Sounds like we are going to find out how good Ford ESP care is. Good luck and I bet you are going to be happy with how this turns out, judging from past stories that have been shared from others with serious troubles.

bruce...