2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Weird "sloshing" sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Spoojr
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Weird "sloshing" sound?

This could be coincidence, but I never heard it until after I completed the TSB on the fuel tank.

When I go over a speed bump, or rough terrain and come to a stop, and I have the radio off and it is silent, I can hear what is best described as what I would assume to be fuel sloshing. Imagine a "louder" back and forth rocking that eventually quietens down until you can't hear it anymore. Has anyone else heard this sound? I know it's easy to become paranoid after someone else works on your truck, but I don't recall hearing that sound before I did the TSB, and I want to make sure they tightened everything down the way it is supposed to be. Thanks guys!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:58 PM
tortue71
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoojr
This could be coincidence, but I never heard it until after I completed the TSB on the fuel tank.

When I go over a speed bump, or rough terrain and come to a stop, and I have the radio off and it is silent, I can hear what is best described as what I would assume to be fuel sloshing. Imagine a "louder" back and forth rocking that eventually quietens down until you can't hear it anymore. Has anyone else heard this sound? I know it's easy to become paranoid after someone else works on your truck, but I don't recall hearing that sound before I did the TSB, and I want to make sure they tightened everything down the way it is supposed to be. Thanks guys!
I have the 48 gallons and it does that too no worries

Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty sweet. A diesel truck so quiet you can hear the fuel sloshing in the tank.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Spoojr
Tuned
Originally Posted by tortue71
I have the 48 gallons and it does that too no worries
tortue71, thanks for the reply. Paranoia is a tough animal to kill!

Originally Posted by Herb Brooks
Pretty sweet. A diesel truck so quiet you can hear the fuel sloshing in the tank.
You aren't kidding!! This is my first diesel, and I am fascinated at how quiet it is. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one hearing it though, so now I know there isn't something loose knocking around in there. All I could imagine was the fuel pump or something floating around in there, and that is what I am hearing...I know, I know...that doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kept hearing the same thing. Then found out that my passenger side rear door was half way full of water. The drain holes were full of lithium grease from the factory and it couldn't drain. You may want to check them to be sure the sound isn't a little closer than your fuel tank.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Spoojr
Tuned
Originally Posted by RJC2
I kept hearing the same thing. Then found out that my passenger side rear door was half way full of water. The drain holes were full of lithium grease from the factory and it couldn't drain. You may want to check them to be sure the sound isn't a little closer than your fuel tank.
Thanks RJC2...I'll have a look tomorrow.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Now whodutunkit. Good catch.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Herb Brooks
Now whodutunkit. Good catch.
I found some in the front driver's door too. All that moisture can't be good for the window motors and regulator arms.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Ricktator
Senior User
Mine does it as well after the TSB was done.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 AM
BillyTequila
New User
Angry Weird Sloshing sound

Just picked up a new F350 Crew Cab.
Was not even out of the lot when the passenger noticed a "sloshing sound" when breaking or accelerating.
Looked for typical clogged drain holes in doors, but both front and back doors have open drains and are dry inside.

Took out the floor mats this morning to find moist carpets on passenger side.
Took off the rocker panel covers to expose the wire tray and found the passenger side tray full of water. (Divers side is dry)

This is my first truck with a moon roof,. so I suspect it may be the moon roof drain, but have nothing to back up that theory.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has any insights they could share with me.

The saddest thing is I have no faith in the dealership fixing this correctly, This seems like one of those problems that because they can't throw new part at it, it wont get fixed properly. (I can imagine them simply drilling a hole for the water to drain, rather than find the source of the problem and addressing that )
Then x years from now I'll be dealing with corroded wires and fuse box.
I'll try to attach a pic below.

Water in rocker panel wire tray. 2019 Ford F350

Old 11-26-2018, 05:53 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BillyTequila
Just picked up a new F350 Crew Cab.
Was not even out of the lot when the passenger noticed a "sloshing sound" when breaking or accelerating.
Looked for typical clogged drain holes in doors, but both front and back doors have open drains and are dry inside.

Took out the floor mats this morning to find moist carpets on passenger side.
Took off the rocker panel covers to expose the wire tray and found the passenger side tray full of water. (Divers side is dry)

This is my first truck with a moon roof,. so I suspect it may be the moon roof drain, but have nothing to back up that theory.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has any insights they could share with me.

The saddest thing is I have no faith in the dealership fixing this correctly, This seems like one of those problems that because they can't throw new part at it, it wont get fixed properly. (I can imagine them simply drilling a hole for the water to drain, rather than find the source of the problem and addressing that )
Then x years from now I'll be dealing with corroded wires and fuse box.
I'll try to attach a pic below.

Water in rocker panel wire tray. 2019 Ford F350
Leaky sunroofs have been a strong discussion on these boards. Do a search and you'll see. This truck shares the cab with the F150 which since 2015 has had the same problem. Funny thing is, that some trucks seem to be problematic, others not. My son's truck has been a fish bowl, with the dealership trying to fix it over and over. They finally replaced the sunroof. Mine has been dry... go figure.
One piece of advice, is to check the drains on the corners of the roof. They tend to clog easily. There's a lot of glass up there to dump water into them. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 AM
slicktoptt
Freshman User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your rocker panel leak may be from the moisture barrier in the doors not being completely sealed. Take a look under the door panel and sometimes you can see where the water droplets ran down from behind the door panel. The water will accumulate on the trim panel you removed to take your picture and then run into that valley. You can also let a water hose run right at the bottom of the window and the leak will usually show up in a couple of minutes or less.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM
BHPR
Mountain Pass
Sloshing sound

My friend heard it yesterday while riding in the passenger seat. I have water intrusion there. Taking it to the dealer later this week.......

Old 12-02-2018, 09:14 AM
BillyTequila
New User
Does anyone out there know where / how the water from the sun roof is supposed to drain?
I ran a hose on the roof for a while and found how it's getting inside the truck and down into the rocker panel.
What's best described as the door jam has a rather large hole where a wire harness comes through which goes into the fuse box mounted near the passengers feet.
The harness passthrough a boot which is made of foam rubber.
That boot is not glued or otherwise fastened to the door jam.
The water is running down within the door jam and coming through where the boot goes into the jam.
I managed to get a finger in there and found that below the boot - the jam seems to be factory-filled with some kind of sprat foam..
(keep in mind this truck is 4 weeks old, so nothing other than factory installed exists)
So my questions right now are as follows:
Should the water be in the door jam at all?
If yes, should the bottom of that door jam be filled with foam (or filled with so much foam) that the water can't exit and builds up until its high enough to come through =the hole with the boot?
(see pic attached to this post)

Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 PM
MPSoC
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just found out I have the same issue but it is on the driver side.
I do not have a sunroof but I do have clearance lights on the 2019 F350 STX 6.7 CC LB. I also have a sliding rear window opening.
I first noticed when I lowered the backs of the rear seats and saw rust on the hinges. Like it's been happening for a while.
This is from the rear driver side door.

Quick Reply: Weird "sloshing" sound?