6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

How many diesel guys have made the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 06:06 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
Originally Posted by Homerunking2394
Take the turbo out of all these new diesels and they are nothing to a 6.2...
Correct. There is no magic about a diesel. Without the turbo they are dogs. Look at what the turbos do for an Ecoboost. Turbo is where the magic is.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:52 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '11 Ford F250 CCSB with 6.7 kept losing fuel mileage more and more as time went on. Took in to the dealer twice and they had an engineer come down with test equipment. First time found nothing wrong and flashed computer. Went back to 18 mpg briefly but quickly slid back to under 12 mpg by the time I got rid of it. Found out it may have been the DEF transport line from tank to inject point crushed during shipment. Supposedly the NOx sensors didn't see proper reduction of NOx from the selective catalytic reduction so kept jerking the fuel control algorithms around.

Next Ford I get will most likely be with the 6.2 and 4.30 axles. I have a 2006 dodge 2500 with 5.9 cummins that I have put over $65k into. It runs absolutely beautiful and is paid for. Kinda hard to get rid of this truck, it has been the best truck I ever owned. Love the new Superduty trucks and may just keep my dodge and get a Ford F250 also. Just think if the Ford's had the Cummins 5.9 in them instead of the Navistar diesel engines... in fact my bucket list includes finding a mint 1999 crew cab Ford 4x4 and transplanting a 12v Cummins into it.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:25 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
I know what you mean commtrd, I love my 7.3L which I have owned for over 10 years, awesome truck. Loud as can be though. I am also looking at getting a 6.2L w/4.30 gears in about a year also. Have thought about a 6.7 just can't justify the extra cost when buying/ordering new.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:25 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by machmedic
I know what you mean commtrd, I love my 7.3L which I have owned for over 10 years, awesome truck. Loud as can be though. I am also looking at getting a 6.2L w/4.30 gears in about a year also. Have thought about a 6.7 just can't justify the extra cost when buying/ordering new.
Keep the 7.3 yours is barely broken in,

Old 02-19-2018, 06:45 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
I plan on keeping it, I just have the itch for a new truck! Lol

Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM
commtrd
Senior User
The new Ford Superduty trucks are just ****. Prone to make a guy do something he shouldn't do...

Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made the jump out of the diesel world around 2010. I had a 2001 7.3 that I loved, but it was dated and had a lot of miles and I needed something new. Drove around a couple of different vehicles, but finally went back to the 1 ton trucks a couple of years ago when I bought 2500HD Sierra with a 6.0L gasser. I wanted to go back to diesel, but after having that truck in gas and 4.10 gearing, I realized that I had no need for a diesel anymore. I'm on the hunt for a 6.2l (may found one today), and from what I have read and seen, I will love it.

I don't know much about the 6.7l diesels, but the 6.0s and 6.4s steered me totally away from Ford diesels after I sold my 7.3. The horror stories of those two motors amazed me. In my personal opinion, I don't know how Ford could have designed not one, but two, generations of diesel engines that were total junk and put them in their trucks.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01
I made the jump out of the diesel world around 2010. I had a 2001 7.3 that I loved, but it was dated and had a lot of miles and I needed something new. Drove around a couple of different vehicles, but finally went back to the 1 ton trucks a couple of years ago when I bought 2500HD Sierra with a 6.0L gasser. I wanted to go back to diesel, but after having that truck in gas and 4.10 gearing, I realized that I had no need for a diesel anymore. I'm on the hunt for a 6.2l (may found one today), and from what I have read and seen, I will love it.

I don't know much about the 6.7l diesels, but the 6.0s and 6.4s steered me totally away from Ford diesels after I sold my 7.3. The horror stories of those two motors amazed me. In my personal opinion, I don't know how Ford could have designed not one, but two, generations of diesel engines that were total junk and put them in their trucks.
Those were not Ford diesels. They were International Navistar. And yes they were a disaster for Ford and more importantly their customers. I went to Cummins and never looked back. The current 6.7 IS a Ford engine. The Scorpion is a great engine but unfortunately (like all modern diesels) infested with hateful emissions crap.

If the PTB really wanted to fix the environment they would stop spraying chemtrails which is destroying the environment on a level that relatively few diesel engines in light duty trucks never could. BUT the environment is not the objective. They are hell bent on destroying the working class once and for all. OK rant over.

The 6.2 is by all accounts a great engine with half the torque of the diesel. More reliable than the Navistar engines were. But still much more costly to service and maintain these diesels. Nature of the beast.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Tall Timbers
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm in the process of switching to a gasser. I'll be putting my 99 PSD up for sale in a couple of weeks or so and my new gasser F250 should arrive within a couple of months. My 7.3 never gave me a problem in 20 years, hope I can say the same for the gasser some day.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Originally Posted by machmedic
Agree 100%. The emissions stuff on the new diesels just ruin a fine truck. What a shame. Every time I see a pre-2000 year model Ford 1-ton crew cab long bed that has been kept cherry, I just remind myself i am going to find one someday and do a body off resto. With a 12v cummins. BUT the new Ford SuperDuties are awesome. Love these trucks. Just wish the emissions junk was gone.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 AM
Tanglewad
New User
I got rid of my 2011 F250 6.7 a year or so ago that I bought new. After 130k miles fuel pump went out sending medal shaving all through the fuel rails and such. With the cost of $9,000 to repair I decided not again so now I’m driving a 2015 6.2 gasser. I miss the torque but not the expense of the up keep worries.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Bhead
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hoodoo
I have been lurking here for a while and certainly appreciate the wealth of information and opinions.

I have been contemplating a switch from my 2004 Duramax as the extended cab just doesn't suit our family of 6 any longer. The truck itself has been great and almost 14 years of trouble free operation.

I bought the truck new and prior to that had a 7.3 that I loved as well. Have always been a diesel fan and was in love with the original 5.9 Cummins when they came out.

I do live in MT and we are in the mountains often, but don't feel like I need the diesel. It would be a daily driver and occasionally pull a TT(32' Bunkhouse). I think the 6.2 would get the job done here for everything that I need at this point, but also hard psychologically to give up the diesel. Any others make the switch and if so, how has it been?

Im not sure if this thread is still active, however we made the switch to a Ford Excursion w/ a 6.0L about 18 mnths or so ago and absolutely love it with our family of 5, towing a 30ft TT. We travel regularly, and have made several trips from central Texas across the desert to CO, NM, as well as LA, AL, FL, MS, etc. and are heading into the Blue Ridge in the next few weeks. In short, for a family that likes to travel and take our rolling back porch with us, the set up is grand.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:50 PM
TaterNuts
Freshman User
I came from a pair of 6.0 F-250. Both were extended cab. We've actually had a few. My first was 2WD. Repairs were minimal except the FCIM. $2000+. My second was a 4WD and a complete dog. It had a fuel pressure pump go out ($2000+), I'm thinking high side? The other one we had was 2WD and insanely fast. I mean break the tires through 2nd. My buddies with their 6.7 were amazed. No idea what had been altered. It eventually had an issue that was going to cost ($6000+) more to fix than the truck was worth. We drove it a long while as is and eventually sold it (full disclosure was given). MPG in the first 2WD I had were 13-18. Never broke 15 in my 4WD. Not sure on the other. Pair of 6.4 diesels too. We had a few gas trucks in the mix too. Pair of F150s 4.6 and 5.4. Pair of gas F250 5.4 and 6.2.
When I bought my most recent I was starting a new company and with the cost of the repairs of my previous diesels I didn't want to get caught in a tight money position or potentially stranded and unable to get it to a trusted shop. I went with the 6.2 telling myself I was getting that new 6.7 as soon as money wasn't an issue.

While money may not be an issue, I just don't know if I can ever justify the math now. I want my personal one to be a 6.7 loaded out for my sales guys to take people out in or make calls if needed, but I just haven't done it. Almost pulled the trigger on a super high miles '15 a couple weeks ago. Platinum F-450. 235,000 miles for $33,800. I get crap *** gas mileage, but after talking to the guy his was no better at 14MPG. I don't run a hot shot service and diesel is more expensive per gallon. Even if you get worse towing or loaded at $.03 per mile less (not including DEF) to operate you have to drive 300,000+ maintenance free diesel miles. You factor the oil change and DEF cost and I just don't know if it ever can be cheaper.

Those super sexy trims are few and far between in the gas engines. I think I'm going to probably hold on to this one a while and see what happens on the 7X front, then wait (for guinea pigs) and order one of those. Until then I am on the lookout for a used 17+ with the 6.2 and all the options. There are none local to me.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 PM
DannyMc9120
New User
Old diesel driver too

I too was driving a diesel for years and three trucks. I started in a 1999 Dodge, and loved it, but loud. My next two were GMs, one was a dually. I pulled with them also, but over the years I found out I was not using the trucks to their full potential, and making higher payments. Driving in town I made more visits to the pumps than I thought I would be. Then I found the 2013 F350 6.2L I am in now. I can testify, for the average puller/daily driver, I have only found one difference in a 3500 diesel and the gas 350, and that is the mileage while pulling on the highway. I pull a 27 foot toy hauler with two big quads weighing over 11K pounds around six times per year, and burn 9-10 gallons/mile more than in a diesel while pulling. When I added up the cost of the monthly payment vs the mileage difference, the change was for the better for me. Of course that will change a lot for each driver.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:12 PM
DannyMc9120
New User
Right on, right on

Originally Posted by RainDesert
I started driving diesel in 1995 with my IDI 7.3. Since then I've owned most of the diesels out there, my last being a 2014 6.7 PS. I'm now on my 2nd 6.2, after 35k miles, the only thing that ever gets me is the unloaded hwy mpg. But that comes at a steep diesel price. Plus for me, I would modify the exhaust, because I will not be stuck somewhere due to a sensor failure, etc. Then at that point my motor warranty would be gone. So I'm sticking here in my 6.2. My best advice I can give to anyone leaving the diesel world to enter the easy 6.2 life, is find a truck with 4.30 gear. (assuming you want a 4x4 with 32+" tires)It made all the difference to me.
Amen brother!

Quick Reply: How many diesel guys have made the switch?