6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

How many diesel guys have made the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My diesel used DEF and it was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. I made the switch for a reason. I'm done with the over complicated modern diesel engines! Way to much that can go wrong and trust me things do go wrong and when they do it's costly!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Thank you blue6.2. some diesel guys just need to troll the 6.2 section to make themselves feel better about their decision. He has a history of it. It's not like the issues are a big secret.

The 6.7 really is a good engine, and the power is unreal. But it's just obvious that it has more issues than the 6.2, and it's not uncommon to have repair bills that would buy a brand new 6.2 crate motor with change for a real nice family vacation.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Thank you blue6.2. some diesel guys just need to troll the 6.2 section to make themselves feel better about their decision. He has a history of it. It's not like the issues are a big secret.
I have been there, you won't convince me that all is well in modern diesel land. When I was having issues with my diesel I turned to the forums and the amount of folks having issues was overwhelming! My diesel anxiety days are over and it sure feels good!

Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 AM
WorkFE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wont lie, on occasion I miss the torque but I don't miss the maintenance cost. Every day driving performance, I like my 2017 6.2L.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:36 AM
commtrd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Actually since the introduction of DEF all makes emissions have been pretty good. You can also add a F150 diesel to the list pretty soon.

Oh and you can add me to the list who made the switch...from gas to diesel.
The main issue with all the hateful emissions is NOT the diesel particulate filter or even the selective catalytic regeneration (DEF), it is the exhaust gas recirculation.

Bad as the former items are, the really bad thing is piping diesel exhaust back into the intake to oxygen scavenge the fuel / air charge thus reducing oxides of nitrogen. Great analogy would be a human smoking 4 packs of cigs a day. Same thing putting diesel exhaust into the intake of a diesel engine. That is why all the manufacturers went to 6.7 litre displacements. Because the EGR was killing performance and so they had to go bigger to get the power back up.

Last big issue with the emissions is AFTER THE WARRANTY IS UP. Yes can buy extended warranty coverage. For a price. Yes can trade in ahead of warranty expiration. For a price. But when that stuff breaks (it does) it is super expensive to repair.

If not towing > 15k all the time, one has to question the validity of diesel power with all the BS emissions junk. Sad but true.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 AM
commtrd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
My diesel used DEF and it was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. I made the switch for a reason. I'm done with the over complicated modern diesel engines! Way to much that can go wrong and trust me things do go wrong and when they do it's costly!
Well said.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I had 2008 Ram where they had DPFs EGR and no DEF. We also had a 14 that had all that junk and DEF and to me it was an "improvement"

I will never ever again buy a diesel that has all that junk on it

Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
I had 2008 Ram where they had DPFs EGR and no DEF. We also had a 14 that had all that junk and DEF and to me it was an "improvement"

I will never ever again buy a diesel that has all that junk on it
Absolutely, the DEF is not the problem. It is actually a solution to the problem but it is not a fix all by any stretch of the imagination. If I had kept my diesel I would have deleted it and it probably would have been fine. It's just hard to throw your warranty out the window on such an expensive vehicle.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You know what's messed up is I was gonna be Mr Diesel so I scoured all the technical information I could. It really was a reconfiguration of what our family fleet was going to be and I was never turning back. I thought parts simply got changed and with maintenance and some youtube (RIP Ron you are the man!!!) shade tree I could accomplish a lot. That being said: what blew my mind was how many threads I read about people changing injectors and being unable to get their truck to run right again.....and further more there is no agreement on whether remans will suffice or you have to have brand new. Yahiko and the crew I welcome yall to chime in I encourage yalls efforts. The 6.0 guys do a lot of heavy lifting in their section they have nothing less than all my respect.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150

The 6.7 really is a good engine, and the power is unreal. But it's just obvious that it has more issues than the 6.2, and it's not uncommon to have repair bills that would buy a brand new 6.2 crate motor with change for a real nice family vacation.
Yes I've reported my diesel experience here as you like to hide in this forum and bash the 6.7 with an agenda to support your purchase.

I'm out of warranty with a great truck and will likely enjoy another 100k reliable miles from my medium duty 6.7PSD engine.

I read several forums here and I don't ever read the trolling like Ron94150 does in the ~17 years I've been hear. Sorry my 6.7PSD experience doesn't meet your agenda and I've never bashed the 6.2 gas but I'm simply calling you out..... A Troll

Old 12-29-2017, 05:03 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
You know what's messed up is I was gonna be Mr Diesel so I scoured all the technical information I could. It really was a reconfiguration of what our family fleet was going to be and I was never turning back. I thought parts simply got changed and with maintenance and some youtube (RIP Ron you are the man!!!) shade tree I could accomplish a lot. That being said: what blew my mind was how many threads I read about people changing injectors and being unable to get their truck to run right again.....and further more there is no agreement on whether remans will suffice or you have to have brand new. Yahiko and the crew I welcome yall to chime in I encourage yalls efforts. The 6.0 guys do a lot of heavy lifting in their section they have nothing less than all my respect.

I would never recommend a 6.0 or a 6.4

BTW and that's coming from a owner of a 05 6.0 that I traded in with 170k miles with very little problems.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes I've reported my diesel experience here as you like to hide in this forum and bash the 6.7 with an agenda to support your purchase.

I'm out of warranty with a great truck and will likely enjoy another 100k reliable miles from my medium duty 6.7PSD engine.

I read several forums here and I don't ever read the trolling like Ron94150 does in the ~17 years I've been hear. Sorry my 6.7PSD experience doesn't meet your agenda and I've never bashed the 6.2 gas but I'm simply calling you out..... A Troll

I hardly ever visit anything besides the 6.2 and 99-16 superduty section? I would say 95% of my post have been in those sections, or my short stint in the f150 section when I had one. How the hell am I trolling? You have been in here multiple times trying to disrupt our threads. I've tried to post helpful info, not inflict controversy. Not saying it's never ended with it. Anyone can call some one out through a keyboard..,,,

Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't take this anymore. You are the better definition of a troll. You pop in here, never owning a 6.2 to cause a raucous. Ron posts legitimate info based on trucks he has owned, as do I. I had a 2014 6.7 and it was my last diesel to date. I don't jump in the 6.7 section to enjoy the pain many owners suffer from and post up on that. The majority of proud 6.2 owners have once been diesel guys, like myself. The simple fact is if you buy a new SuperDuty, you have 99 to 1 odds of having an issue with a diesel vs. a gas.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm watching the 6.2 section and hopefully the 7.3 (gas) section very carefully. My next truck might be gas if Ford or Ram put a 10 speed behind it. I think a modern gas engine with 400+ ft lbs of torque that can always be in its power band when towing will work just fine.

That is, unless Ford or Ram decides to charge a 2k premium for that powertrain combination. Right now I'm mainly paying for the performance of the diesel engine because I know I'll less than likely get all of my money out of the resale / mileage. If the gas can get a few more gear ratios to keep it in its narrow power band (compared to a diesel), than I think the switch will be very easy for me (saving $8k on purchase price is a big deal plus the obligatory extended warranty I always buy for the diesel).

Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Everyone just take a step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and relax.

I read several forums here and I don't ever read the trolling like Ron94150 does in the ~17 years I've been hear.
Then you haven't been listening/reading. The V10 forum was rife with diesel bashing back when the 6.0 first came out. A lot of people jumped from diesel to gas around that time, and a lot of the talk was in the Superduty forum. And a lot of stuff has been said about the diesel subject all over the place here at FTE. Ron hasn't been trolling - he doesn't go into the 6.7L forum and bash, does he?

He has exactly EIGHT posts in the 6.0/6.4/6.7 forums, and he was helpful in all of them - I suspect one of them was a move from the Superduty forum before it wound up in the 6.7L forum. Otherwise, he would probably not have posted at all.

See below for links if you don't believe me.

Long gone are the days of the gas vs. diesel flame wars, and I'd like to keep it that way. Much like the V10 forum, the 6.2L forum has grown to be a bunch of guys who like to commiserate about their diesel experiences and move on with a Ford truck that meets their needs, and doesn't give up on them when they need it the most. True, not all diesels are problem children. But the failure rate is higher than a gasser, and if a gasser does the job, why the heck is that a problem for you?

I'm glad you like your 6.7L. It's the blue oval on the back and front of the truck that counts here at FTE. If you don't like gassers bashing your beloved diesel, you don't need to listen.

You are free to go back to whatever forum you visit most frequently, but you really have no business being here in the 6.2L forum, and especially not in this thread.

--

Ron's posts in the diesel forums:

Forum: 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 10-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Replies: 8 fuel tank replacementViews: 585Posted By @Ron94150
Do you have a diesel or gas? Didn't think the 6.2...

Do you have a diesel or gas? Didn't think the 6.2 was available with a 25 gallon tank. If you have a diesel, you may get more responses asking in the 6.7 section. I don't know if a larger replacement...
Forum: 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 01-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Replies: 43 2016 F350 Low Oil Pressure LightViews: 5,678Posted By @Ron94150
Just remember that service manager has a boss,...

Just remember that service manager has a boss, and his boss has one too, usually the name on the front of the building. I had a an issue 1 time with a service manager at my dealer. One phone call to...
Forum: 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 01-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Your dealer sucks. Let them know you will not...

Your dealer sucks. Let them know you will not give them your business again since they can't provide a loaner. If your brand new truck is going to be down for internal engine work, ford will approve...
Forum: 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 01-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Why would you have to give the dealership a dime?...

Why would you have to give the dealership a dime? And if that's the quickest they could get to it, they would either give me a loaner, or I would continue to drive it. Then, when it comes in on a...
Forum: 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 01-25-2017, 09:19 AM
I'll give you a little story of encouragement....

I'll give you a little story of encouragement. One of my co workers, who is not brand loyal, traded in an old Chevy 1/2 ton on a brand new 2003 f250 6.0. He didn't drive it 2 weeks before it was on a...
Forum: 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 01-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Sucks you come from a gm to a ford and this...

Sucks you come from a gm to a ford and this happens. But just remember, it's not the norm. The trucks brand new, ford has to and is going to warranty it, probably with a crate motor or at least a...
Forum: 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 12-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Replies: 4 Looking at 2006 f250 6.0Views: 396Posted By @Ron94150
I did a little research and figured out how to...

I did a little research and figured out how to check for studs, I had just assumed they were under the valve cover. Also found the other main stuff to look for. Unfortunately, someone had test drove...
Forum: 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 11-24-2015, 02:46 PM
Replies: 4 Looking at 2006 f250 6.0Views: 396Posted By @Ron94150
Looking at 2006 f250 6.0

Going to look at a 2006 f250 6.0 auto. 180k miles. Truck is super clean inside and out from the pics. It's got the sct display on the dash, so I assume it's had the egr delete. Can you guys tell me...

Last edited by krewat; 12-29-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: forgot an apostrophe

Quick Reply: How many diesel guys have made the switch?