6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Caesar10211
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF delete

Good afternoon guys. I'm new to posting here, so I apologize if this has been covered extensively on other threads. I have a 2008 6.4L crew cab that I would like to fit with a "test pipe". The truck has approximately 100k miles on it now. As this is my daily driver, I'm not looking to really change a lot of performance aspects. I just would like to get my fuel milage up. I unfortunately don't know anything about the tuning aspect of this. I am looking for guidance on where and what manufacturers I should use for the test pipe and tuner/ delete tool. Any help from you guys would be great. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Picton
Senior User
Welcome. There is quite a bit you could cover here considering your inquiry. I'll throw out some basics but will rely on the rest of the boys and girls here to help out.

Flo-pro makes good DPF delete pipes and even DPF/CAT pipe combo kits. If you're going to delete the DPF, you should get rid of the CAT as well.

In order to make the above "delete" possible, you'll need tuning that essentially disables the DPF functionality. The tune prevents the computer from realizing the DPF system is disabled. Many of these "DPF off" tunes include disabling the EGR coolers (valve).

I run a Spartan Diesel Technology (Patriot Diagnostics) tuner. I've run a Torque Technologies T1 tuner in the past...though they are out of business now. The tuner is still great...just lost mfg support on it...so I bought the Spartan. The Spartan also allows you to monitor essentially every sensor on the truck...which comes in handy. Clearing and reading codes is another feature these tuners can offer.

Google research does wonders as well...once you get some good feedback and are ready to purchase that is.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Caesar10211
New User
Thank you Picton for your reply. I will begin to look at them. One question though. Is it possible to delete the DPF without deleting the EGR sensor? My concern after reading some posts is that it will clog over time and then I will have other issues. I don't want to remove the EGR coolers and EGR valve, as I have been led to believe that this is the only way to dump over boost. As this is my daily driver and only means of transport, I don't want to take a chance of doing more damage. Just looking to get rid of that damn regen cycle.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Picton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Caesar10211
Thank you Picton for your reply. I will begin to look at them. One question though. Is it possible to delete the DPF without deleting the EGR sensor? My concern after reading some posts is that it will clog over time and then I will have other issues. I don't want to remove the EGR coolers and EGR valve, as I have been led to believe that this is the only way to dump over boost. As this is my daily driver and only means of transport, I don't want to take a chance of doing more damage. Just looking to get rid of that damn regen cycle.
It appears you and I struggle with the same dilemma here in regards to the EGR delete. I still have my EGR coolers/valve installed but they are "disabled" via tune. There is the potential for the coolers, especially the cooler running horizontally, to leak into the number 8 cylinder and cause a hydro-lock or bent connecting rods. However, it is also true that the EGR valve acts as a waist-gate for excess turbo pressures. I don't heavy-haul...so I wouldn't typically worry about extremely high boost numbers. However, it happens once and again...and the problem remains.

I read to keep the EGR valve unplugged when they're disabled via tune...I can't remember why just now. Does that make sense to anyone?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the up and coming sport of off-road diesel racing, for which you must have a tuner to participate. I use a MiniMax and have loaded the basic tow time.

Just so that your expectations are aligned with reality, there is only one way to improve fuel mileage on these trucks - buy a Prius.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
Just so that your expectations are aligned with reality, there is only one way to improve fuel mileage on these trucks - buy a Prius.
Now thanks funny.

Welcome to the forum, I am new myself. My truck is dpf and erg cooler deleted as well, previous owner took care of that for me I get around 12.5 mpg around town empty or pulling my cargo trailer. Haven't taken it on a long trip yet to see what highway mileage is. It's not awesome but still beats my 7.3 towing and with tons more power.

From what I have read the excess boost is only a problem if you are running some extreme race tune or something similar. I run a performance tune on mine. My boost pressure haven't gone about 35 I don't think. From what I read it's the guys that are getting 40's of 50's that have to worry. I am willing to be corrected but that's the info I have seen so far.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:29 AM
Caesar10211
New User
Thank you FF 1406. Makes me feel a little better about deleting the EGR if I choose to do it.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Robert Green
Senior User
Originally Posted by Picton

I read to keep the EGR valve unplugged when they're disabled via tune...I can't remember why just now. Does that make sense to anyone?

If this is a legit cure, then I will do that, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the delete kits

Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 PM
tuff_baer
New User
You should go to dalessuperstore.com and check out what they have. I would recommend the dpf delete with the spartan tuner, its a little bit more expensive than the other one but I like it the most and you can also purchase erg delete with the dpf/cat delete as well.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:52 PM
tuff_baer
New User
I would do the delete the egr or at least weld the ends shut if you want to disable it. Same with the dpf if you run a tune and program the truck to run without the dpf you should remove the dpf itself because it can cause problems. If you don't wan to remove the egr you could look for an egr upgrade at bulletproof diesel.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Caesar10211
New User
thank you tuff baer