1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Which tires for your steed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tires for your steed?

Hi guys,

I appreciate and value everyones' opinions and experiences on this forum, so I am excited to read the answers to my question:- Which tires do run on your truck? Size/brand/truck?

I am about to go out and spend a pretty penny on some new boots for my 56 F100 (15" stock rims) but I am not looking for Coker whitewalls, just the most cost effective and safest rubber out there. Let me know your experiences! Thank you!

Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 PM
oneye
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about some chrome wheels to go with them?

I hope this is ethical: I do have them posted here too.

Wheels and Tires | eBay

Item number

Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Firestone bias ply tube tires 650 x 16 on a '49 F1. Gotta love the pie crust look.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Gotta love the pie crust look.
I agree.

I have 6.00 x 16 bias ply on my 54 F100 made by Excelsior. I had radials on from 1999 up to about 3 years ago. The radials made it very hard to steer when parking, backing or going slow... too much rubber on the pavement. These bias ply are new and not like the old 50's and 60's bias ply. They take bumps well and I have no flat spots after sitting for a long time.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:44 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you sure you want to buy tires now? I'm thinking although you are making good progress on your project, you still have work to do before it's ready to make use of new tires. Tires were one of my last purchases before completing the project so the tires were new when it was road worthy. Food for thought.

Grant

Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by 53 tonner
Are you sure you want to buy tires now? I'm thinking although you are making good progress on your project, you still have work to do before it's ready to make use of new tires. Tires were one of my last purchases before completing the project so the tires were new when it was road worthy. Food for thought.

Grant
Good point! I agree. I could never figure out why some guys have new tires and wheels on a project that needs body work and paint. You risk getting dust and over spray on them.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

If it being driven, new tires are great... if your not driving it, I wouldn't buy them yet. Tires can form flat spots and also start to dry-rot. But if your ready for tires I love my Cooper Cobra Radial GT 225/70R15 (fronts) and 275/60R15 (rears)

Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by 53 tonner

Grant
I completely agree Grant 100%.

The reason I ask now is that I know I'm staying with stock rims, but the main reason is that I need to move the chassis around a bit during a project, it currently sits on jack stands with the four flat tires and wheels stacked in the corner so I can't really move it that easily.
If I could get it a roller it would really make my life much easier because space is at a premium in my shop. Utah winters are harsh up here in the foothills, so everything I need for the winter has to come inside before it looks like a scene from Die Hard 2 up here!

I love the replies, keep em coming guys thank you!!!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:25 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I went to a tire store and they gave me 4 well used tires and mounted them on my wheels for a couple bucks to use as rollers until I was ready to drive the truck. Then I went to Costco and bought Michelin tires to drive on.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:30 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GJPilcher
The reason I ask now is that I know I'm staying with stock rims, but the main reason is that I need to move the chassis around a bit during a project, it currently sits on jack stands with the four flat tires and wheels stacked in the corner so I can't really move it that easily. I love the replies, keep em coming guys thank you!!!
When I got my truck it had tires that still held air so I left them on so I could roll it around. I took them off this summer to paint the wheels and bought new tires to put on the finished wheels. Since I'm hoping to get the truck on the road next summer I didn't think it was too soon.

I bought STA Super Transport, 6 ply, 16" x 6.50. You can get them from Coker but I bought them from Jegs.com which offers free shipping. Coker was on the boxes they came in.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Fantastic, thanks guys!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Second the STA (Specialty Tires of America). I run STA Super Transport 7.50X16 on all four corners of my F-2. Truck drives and handles/steers like it did when I first began driving her over 40 years ago.

Including the feeling of four square wheels when I drove her home tonight. Temps. were down into the upper 40s, and the truck sat in the shop parking lot since 3 PM. I drove home at 2:45 AM. Nice and cold and flat.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
I got some very coarse tread Cooper tires. I should have thought that through a bit before I bought them. I drive on gravelled Vermont back roads, and the tread grabs rocks in the gravel and hurls them against the inside of my fenders. That takes some of the joy out of a joyride in the country... Also, I intend to take a long interstate drive next summer. These aren't the best tires for freeway driving. And, they are pretty noisy. But, they look great when I'm parked. Like a big Tonka toy.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by jvmcc
I got some very coarse tread Cooper tires. I should have thought that through a bit before I bought them. I drive on gravelled Vermont back roads, and the tread grabs rocks in the gravel and hurls them against the inside of my fenders. That takes some of the joy out of a joyride in the country... Also, I intend to take a long interstate drive next summer. These aren't the best tires for freeway driving. And, they are pretty noisy. But, they look great when I'm parked. Like a big Tonka toy.
Are you coming to the Central PA Mountain Truckstock in your truck?

How about some pics of your truck and tires.

Edit: your picture appeared today.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by abe
Are you coming to the Central PA Mountain Truckstock in your truck?

How about some pics of your truck and tires.
Yes, I would like to attend. I'm considering a drive to southern California, up the coast and back to Vermont via a northern route. Planning for this trip is in its early stages, but I'm pencilling in Bald Eagle State Park as the destination for the first leg of this adventure.

Quick Reply: Which tires for your steed?