Sponsored by:

keeping getting blowouts on stock size tires need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
keeping getting blowouts on stock size tires need advice

I've got the second blowout in three months on my excursion. I live in the sticks and I guess regular ten ply tires arent enough. I need a more aggressive tread or something, but I go on 100 mile trips (on good roads) maybe ten times a month so I dont want huge grips that will make it even worse than it is and make me even more deaf than I am.

the latest to blow was this morning - 265/75 10pr 123/120 I think Laufenn

Can someone advise me on a better tire, hopefully one that wont need a lift but I am not totally opposed to getting a small lift either if it means I can get bigger grips without sacrificing a whole lot of driveability.

I'm just tired of getting blowouts on 10 ply tires.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:52 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Are you really running bias ply tires ?

Radial tires do not use ply's in construction in the same manner as a bias ply and the ply rating is an antiquated reference to the old days of bias ply tires.

If you are running radial then the "ply rating" is a poor metric for determining a tires suitability.

That said, Your blow out have noting to do with the plys or ply rating of the tires. You are either overloading the tires weight rating, the tires are weather checked, wrong air pressure or you are just unlucky and run over hazards that puncture your tire.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Toyo M-55 255/85 R16

Commercial Grade

Best of the best for your situation.

I own 3 sets

The 235 16s are stock height.

They are pricey

Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Fwiw, looking at Laufenn website they list a 265/75-16 as "4 ply rated" but more importantly load index 116 which is 2765 lbs per tire.

Laufenn

How long have you had these tires ?

What tire pressures do your run ?

Where all your blowouts on the same corner of the vehicle ?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rock2610d
Toyo M-55 255/85 R16

Commercial Grade

Best of the best for your situation.

I own 3 sets

The 235 16s are stock height.

They are pricey
Load index 123 , 3417 lbs ! Exceeds the GVWR of the EX by 40%. Probably doesn't give a very comfortable ride but sure will take a heavy payload.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:25 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Load index 123 , 3417 lbs ! Exceeds the GVWR of the EX by 40%. Probably doesn't give a very comfortable ride but sure will take a heavy payload.
I guess, I didn't get mine for load, they are mud and snow rated and chew my dirt and gravel road up. They wear like iron and chew thru mud and snow like a tracked vehicle. I've never had a flat.

I have over 20K miles on 1 set and they are at 90%.
20K miles on a set of michilens on my gravel road would have them bald.

I don't tow much so pressure is around 36 to 40 psi. So ride isn't as bad as a "normal" AT at above 60 psi.

$250 to $320 pet tire though.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 PM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norman2012
I've got the second blowout in three months on my excursion. I live in the sticks and I guess regular ten ply tires arent enough. I need a more aggressive tread or something, but I go on 100 mile trips (on good roads) maybe ten times a month so I dont want huge grips that will make it even worse than it is and make me even more deaf than I am.

the latest to blow was this morning - 265/75 10pr 123/120 I think Laufenn

Can someone advise me on a better tire, hopefully one that wont need a lift but I am not totally opposed to getting a small lift either if it means I can get bigger grips without sacrificing a whole lot of driveability.

I'm just tired of getting blowouts on 10 ply tires.

Any chance they are Michelin MS2 tires. I had nothing but problems with them on my Excursion. I was able to get them to cover most of the cost of switching to the AT2 that I've had no problems with.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Per Pirate, make sure you have load range "E" tires and not "C"

Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM
norman2012
More Turbo

Radial tires do not use ply's in construction in the same manner as a bias ply and the ply rating is an antiquated reference to the old days of bias ply tires.

If you are running radial then the "ply rating" is a poor metric for determining a tires suitability.

That said, Your blow out have noting to do with the plys or ply rating of the tires. You are either overloading the tires weight rating, the tires are weather checked, wrong air pressure or you are just unlucky and run over hazards that puncture your tire.
I was probably using bad terminology. The only thing I haul is a trailer with 3 tons of feed. The tread is in good shape, I had another blowout last year in addition to the recent ones I mentioned.

You dont think changing tires to one with more rubber would help?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:14 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
here are some more pictures. one of them shows what I think is laufenn I dont know. this was on the same corner when it blew a month ago.

the one that blew today i think was a bridgestone. it had excellent tread unlike this one.

looks like a q rating? I dont see an e . and the last blow out looked just like this one

Attached Images     
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
How old are those tires? Look ancient, maybe it's just the pics.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:22 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
I was probably using bad terminology. The only thing I haul is a trailer with 3 tons of feed. The tread is in good shape, I had another blowout last year in addition to the recent ones I mentioned.

You dont think changing tires to one with more rubber would help?
Without knowing the cause of your blowouts it's hard to say what you need.

I had asked some questions looking for clues as you haven't given us enough info to really trouble shoot your issue. Detailed pics of the damaged tires would also be helpful.

But if I were to speculate I'd guess your tires are a low cost offbrand made in China from questionable material, they are a couple of years old and the rubber has deteriorated causing internal delamanition.

Another possibility is, you hit a rock, curb or other hazard that caused sidewall damage that caused delamanation to begin in the sidewall, after a few months heat cycling they finally blew out.

Anyhow, do you need "more rubber ? " I don't know how much rubber the tires you have use so again, can't answer that question.

One thing is certain though, if 2 of the 4 tires you have now have failed I'd be buying some new tires. Personally I'd stick with a mainstream brand and stay away from the Cheap China tires.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:23 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
the tire that blew today was a spare. It looked new minus the stubs. yes that one is old, thats why I hate buying a replacement the same size. if I need to upgrade the tires to a different size or brand, now would be the time to do it

Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
I just noticed when I took those pics that it was made in china. That means 3 of the 4 that were on today were. I thought the one that blew today was a bridgestone maybe not, heres a pic, but it had good tread.

Without knowing the cause of your blowouts it's hard to say what you need.

I had asked some questions looking for clues as you haven't given us enough info to really trouble shoot your issue. Detailed pics of the damaged tires would also be helpful.

But if I were to speculate I'd guess your tires are a low cost offbrand made in China from questionable material, they are a couple of years old and the rubber has deteriorated causing internal delamanition.

Another possibility is, you hit a rock, curb or other hazard that caused sidewall damage that caused delamanation to begin in the sidewall, after a few months heat cycling they finally blew out.

Anyhow, do you need "more rubber ? " I don't know how much rubber the tires you have use so again, can't answer that question.

One thing is certain though, if 2 of the 4 tires you have now have failed I'd be buying some new tires. Personally I'd stick with a mainstream brand and stay away from the Cheap China tires.

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver

looks like a q rating? I dont see an e . and the last blow out looked just like this one
let me get to a computer so I can check out those pics.

the 123 number is the load index number, it corresponds to the amount of weight the tire is rated for.

load index 123 is rated for 3417 lbs,,

Quick Reply: keeping getting blowouts on stock size tires need advice