1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

4x4 issues - light stuck on, but no 4x4

Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 AM
basketcase
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 issues - light stuck on, but no 4x4

My truck is a 2010 XLT extra cab with the 4.0L V6, and the usual Ford 4WD switch on the dash.

On Monday (10/09/17) I was exiting a grassy, wet driveway and switched my truck into 4wd. I was pulling a trailer with my Gold Wing motorcycle on it so the trailer plus the bike probably weighs around 1,600 lbs.

The 4x4 Hi light did not come on, but the truck pulled the grade without traction control clicking from the rear end. I'm almost certain that even though the light did not come on that it went into 4x4 Hi, because otherwise I would have spun the rear tires.

After I got out on the hard top road and straightened out I switched it back into 2wd and still, no lights.

Later in the morning I stopped for gas so I put the transmission in neutral, and switched it to 4wd Lo. Still no light, and when I put it into drive I could tell it did not go into the low range.

All of the dash lights are working when I first turn on the key and start the engine.

Then - I later switched it into 4wd high to check again and the 4x4 indicator light came on. Based on steering feel and a "hard acceleration" take-off on a gravel parking lot the 4x4 is not engaged, but the light remains on.

What do I need to do to run this down and get it fixed?

Suggestions, wisdom, or steps towards resolving this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I see you don't have any replies yet, so I'll see if I can get things started.

Use, or come by the inexpensive ELM scan tool & running FORScan on the viewing device of your choice, as discussed here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html , as it can scan All of the vehicle computer/controllers for trouble code clues, then post All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I concur with pawpaw, try and get a hold of a scanner capable of reading trouble codes from the 4WD control module (most basic off-the-shelf code readers can't do this).

It sounds like a transfer case issue to me. A faulty TC shift motor can cause the symptoms you describe.

Here's a quick summary of how the TC works:

Transfer Case - Electronic Shift Control System

Four-wheel drive mode is selected using a rotary switch located on the instrument panel. With the vehicle ignition on, the on-board controller verifies and matches the shift motor position to the switch.

To shift in and out of 4WD low, three conditions must be met:

The automatic transmission must be in NEUTRAL or the manual clutch depressed.
The brake must be applied.
The vehicle speed must be less than 5 km/h (3 mph).

Electric Shift Motor

The motor assembly and connector, mounted externally on the transfer case cover, drives an electric shift cam which moves the lockup fork and the reduction fork assembly to the selected vehicle drive position. An integral position sensor provides information to the electronic module on the current motor position.

Digital Transmission Range (DTR) Sensor

The DTR sensor is located on the outside of the transmission at the manual lever. The DTR sensor completes the start circuit in PARK and NEUTRAL, the reversing lamp circuit in REVERSE and the neutral sense circuit (4x4 only) in NEUTRAL. The DTR sensor also sends a digital output signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) indicating the position of the manual lever (P, R, N, D, 2, 1).

Clutch Pedal Position Switch

The clutch pedal position switch is located on the clutch pedal bracket. On vehicles equipped with manual transmissions, the clutch pedal must be fully depressed with the vehicle stopped in order to make a range shift from 4H to 4L, or from 4L to 4H.

Brake Switch

The brake switch is located on the brake pedal. The brake must be depressed in order to make a range shift from 4WD high to 4WD low or back.

Rotary Control Switch

The rotary control switch is located on the instrument panel. The switch consists of a **** with a night time illuminated pointer. The switch is used to select 2WD, 4WD high or 4WD low. The dash indicator light will illuminate when the 4WD high or low position is engaged.

Control Module, Electronic

The electronic control module controls the operation of the transfer case in response to the inputs from the brake switch, the DTR sensor, the clutch interlock switch, and the motor assembly through the actuation of the rotary control switch.

Transfer Case Power Flow

The Borg-Warner 13-54 Electric Shift Transfer Case provides LOW RANGE driving. This system has no selectable neutral.

In the 4x2 mode, torque from the transmission is transferred to the input shaft assembly, which in turn drives the rear output shaft that drives the rear axle assembly.

The 2W-4W shift is accomplished through the shifting of the lockup collar that engages the drive sprocket on the rear output shaft. The drive sprocket turns the drive chain, which turns the driven sprocket on the front output shaft assembly. The front output shaft assembly then drives the front driveshaft.

The high-low shift is accomplished when the reduction fork assembly moves the reduction hub to engage the complete carrier assembly to the output shaft. Torque from the input shaft assembly is then transmitted through the sun gear, which then turns the complete carrier assembly. The complete carrier assembly, now engaged to the output shaft, provides the reduction.

The unit is lubricated by a gerotor oil pump assembly that pumps the oil through the bore in the rear output shaft.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:51 AM
pawpaw
Thanks for posting Rockledge, I knew you were a 4X4 guy & was hoping as I replied that you'd chime in. Good to see you active on this forum again.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:39 PM
basketcase
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback.

I posted on Friday (10/13) and after Googling the issue and reading a bit, I did an informal "test" to see if it was stuck in 4wd. What I did was goose the throttle in a dirt parking lot and then check the tire marks. Rear marks only - so no pull from the front end.

Next, I removed negative battery cable for about 10 minutes. When I reconnected the battery the light did not come back on.

So, it is not stuck in 4wd, and the light is now off. I'm going to read up a bit to fill in the gaps in my Swiss cheese body of knowledge. First order of business will be to borrow or rent a scanner to check for codes.

While I have the scanner in hand I'll try the 4wd again to see what happens.

Thanks again to all for the insight and suggestions.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:47 PM
pawpaw
As Rockledge posted, be aware that not all scanners can query more than the engine computer, so you need a more sophisticated scan tool running a more advanced diagnostic software, like FORScan, or the like, to be able to access the body, tranny & GEM controllers for code clues, as the GEM & tranny computer are responsible for control of the 4X4 operation & a low end scan tool like my Actron CP9145, which is fairly capable, or a simple code reader, Can't access the Tranny, GEM, ABS, ect controllers & you might find telling trouble code clues stored in the Tranny & or GEM controllers, thus make sure the scan tool you go to the trouble to use is capable of gathering the info you seek!!!