question on fuel line quick disconnects - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on fuel line quick disconnects

Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Elder User

jstihl is starting off with a positive reputation.
question on fuel line quick disconnects

Hey guys , i need to disconnect the fuel lines from my sending unit and have noticed from looking at different threads that alot of people had a hard time with the quick disconnects. i just have an old metal fuel line disconnect tool in the tool box which i believe is 5/16 on one end and 3/8 on the other. will that work or is there other ones that are better( plastic, etc..). Thanks for any input
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Elder User

Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just used the disconnect tool when I did my pump, worked fine. But I think I swore 3x before I started for good measure.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:22 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I've used everything from the plastic tool purpose-made to a small screwdriver. My difficulty was never to get the QDs apart, but to get them to seal on a vacuum (fuel line).
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM
Elder User

Ok thanks guys, guess it's not as bad as it was made out to be.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Elder User

pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstihl View Post
Ok thanks guys, guess it's not as bad as it was made out to be.
Quick shot of WD-40 or similar makes both connecting and disconnecting much easier. For that matter, any disconnect tool operates better in a knurled connection with some lubricant.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirschwagon View Post
Quick shot of WD-40 or similar makes both connecting and disconnecting much easier. For that matter, any disconnect tool operates better in a knurled connection with some lubricant.
thanks for the great advice, I will just need to remove them as I plan on eliminating the quick disconnects
Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 PM
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
Makes you wonder why they call them “quick.”
Old 10-14-2017, 01:19 AM
Senior User

Keabler is starting off with a positive reputation.
I removed all of the quick connects on the fuel system, at least on the suction side. (of course I didnt tighten the compression fitting when doing the hutch mod, so had to go back in.) I like not having the quick connects much better. Especially having had to disconnect twice.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
Senior User

Syncrowave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford View Post
Makes you wonder why they call them “quick.”
No kidding. I've found that they require every bit of brute strength you can muster, in about 15 attempts, to get apart – when they suddenly part and you knock your own teeth out with your hand when they release.

Is there ANYTHING on these trucks that doesn't require a 15,000 ft-lb impact wrench, sledgehammer, oxy-acetylene rosebud and plasma cutter to disassemble? Opening the glove box, maybe?
Old 10-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrowave View Post
No kidding. I've found that they require every bit of brute strength you can muster, in about 15 attempts, to get apart – when they suddenly part and you knock your own teeth out with your hand when they release.

Is there ANYTHING on these trucks that doesn't require a 15,000 ft-lb impact wrench, sledgehammer, oxy-acetylene rosebud and plasma cutter to disassemble? Opening the glove box, maybe?
sounds like i have a fuuuunn afternoon ahead. ha!
Old 10-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Senior User

Syncrowave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstihl View Post
sounds like i have a fuuuunn afternoon ahead. ha!
Wellllll, my truck is kind of a "special needs" truck, since it came from the Salt Belt and apparently didn't have the salt rinsed out underneath EVEN ONCE IN 15 YEARS ... but I wish you luck!