Adaptive Cruise Control ?'s - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Adaptive Cruise Control ?'s

Old 10-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Senior User

triniexr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
You do know you can adjust the distance, right ??
I set it to the maximum closeness and its still enough gap for cars to just dart in front of you.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Senior User

nuctrooper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniexr View Post
I set it to the maximum closeness and its still enough gap for cars to just dart in front of you.
Any gap can be enough for cars to dart in front of you. At least with ACC, it slows your truck a little so you aren't in the bumper of the a-hole in front of you. Sometimes, you just have to let them go and back off. Driving a 9000lb truck requires the maturity and patience to NOT follow too close. You can't beat physics - it takes a lot of energy to slow 9000lbs. Don't use the frame of the car in front of you to absorb that energy.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Elder User

roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Sorry, I don't think the Ford lawyers wanted them to design a system that would ride people's asses and then slam on the brakes if that person stopped.

I watch people swim in and out between cars with BARELY more than a foot between them and BOTH the car in front of them and the one in back of them.

What, exactly, are you expecting?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 PM
New User

slurpee3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
Also remember, in tow-haul mode, the computer adds additional distance for each bar.
Really? I'm an avid manual reader. Did I miss this? If so, that's a cool feature. I haven't tried messing with ACC while towing, does it graphically show you it lengthens the following distance when you hit tow haul or how do you know?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 PM
New User

Quote:
And idiots like this are why we have people then braking, causing the chain reaction of everyone else braking which causes traffic!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Senior User

nuctrooper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurpee3 View Post
Really? I'm an avid manual reader. Did I miss this? If so, that's a cool feature. I haven't tried messing with ACC while towing, does it graphically show you it lengthens the following distance when you hit tow haul or how do you know?
I don't recall where the info came from - it may have been an old post on this forum. You can prove it to yourself going down the highway, though. The other day I was behind a car on a two lane and seemed to be farther back than normal. Thought the truck was just adjusting, but even after a few miles I was still further back than normal. Cursed the truck for a second, then noticed I was in tow haul (from a steep downhill about 30 mins prior). Clicked tow haul off, and truck closed up to the "normal" following distance. (No change in the indication on the dash)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Senior User

SESWIM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
Some things, sure. Most things, no.

In the case of paying attention to the cars ahead of you and reacting before you slam into them: I'd bet on the adaptive cruise control technology before I'd bet on 98% of the drivers on the road today. Most are too buys effing with their phones, GPS units, doing makeup and a variable plethora of other things besides driving.

And I agree 100% with this post.

Sam
Old 10-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Junior User

rrogersgsp is starting off with a positive reputation.
So after I posted, I asked my wife who was with me to describe what it did the first time I tried using it. We were going across the one lane highway 37 towards Sonoma Raceway. Once you get to the track there's a light. I told her the truck was slowing down as we got to the light and I said look I'm not even touching the brakes. She was a little nervous. So I wanted to see what happened as we got to the light. Sure enough, the light turned red the car in front of me stopped and the truck stopped. I was blown away. Oh I did have my foot planted right above the pedal. Anyway, once the light turned green and the car moved the truck did. The wife said that was what she remembered. I will try it again and see what happens. Honestly, maybe we aren't remembering completely how it happened.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 PM
New User

Mine will stop completely, but not re-start.