Adaptive Cruise Control ?'s - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control ?'s

Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 AM
New User

brock961 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love it. Almost hard to drive other vehicles without it now.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Senior User

triniexr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love it. I have it in my Audi and it works differently in that car. It has the stop and go feature. I thought this truck had it as its newer, learnt the hard way. Almost rear ended someone the other day.

It saves me a lot in fuel as well.

What drives me nuts is the distance that it leaves between you and the car in front. It's too big of a gap which people cut into and the system naturally slams on the brake.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Freshman User

Guess is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like it, I am a little disappointed in the quality of the system. Much cheaper cars have much better systems and there really is no excuse for that.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Senior User

roadpilot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
The new 150s have start/stop which I really enjoy in my other vehicles but the F250 does not yet have that function (it really is nice in heavy traffic.)
My wife's Cadillac ATS4 has the start/stop functionality. I absolutely HATE it. Turn it off as soon as the car starts when I'm driving or a passenger. Most every study or technical review I've seen concluded that, in the REAL world (not a lab or test track), the start/stop functionality provides NO real fuel cost savings.

But I love love LOVE my adaptive cruise control ...
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLex View Post
Compared to the system in my Subaru, the Ford system is just inferior. It doesn't work below 40 mph, doesn't do stop start which is really useful in stop and go traffic, and the maximum range which you can set it to follow the car in front of you is too close. Considering the weight and stopping distance needed (especially when towing), you'd think Ford would allow some more room between you and the car in front.

Nevertheless even an inferior adaptive cruise is better than none at all.
TheLex must be a Subaru salesman.

In my '15 F150, it disengaged at around 12 mph IIRC. Haven't tested the '17 F350 yet.

Stop/Start? What does that have to do with ACC? Oh, and I effing HATE the stop/start in my wife's car, so no way in hell I'd want that crap in my truck. And studies have proven that it doesn't nothing but wear on your starter and components (no appreciable fuel savings).

Mine follows at a comfortable distance that I'm perfectly fine with. Same with my '15 F150.

Finally, it's Adaptive Cruise Control, not Active Collision Avoidance. There's a difference.

I guess you should just go trade your truck in on a Subaru, eh?
Old 10-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Junior User

fleming23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
My wife's Cadillac ATS4 has the start/stop functionality. I absolutely HATE it. Turn it off as soon as the car starts when I'm driving or a passenger. Most every study or technical review I've seen concluded that, in the REAL world (not a lab or test track), the start/stop functionality provides NO real fuel cost savings.

But I love love LOVE my adaptive cruise control ...
We are talking about start/stop with adaptive cruise, not the engine on/off.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleming23 View Post
We are talking about start/stop with adaptive cruise, not the engine on/off.
Ahh, OK. Never heard of that. So you're saying that the ACC "turns itself back ON" (to the same speed it was set at before) after you start moving again?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Junior User

fleming23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most new(er) vehicles with Adaptive cruise today will bring the vehicle to a complete stop. Many of them will actually hold the brake while you sit there and take off again if you do not sit still for too long. Others only require you to push the button on the steering wheel and the vehicle will resume from a dead stop. I have not driven the 2018 F150, but it apparently added this feature, the 15/16 F150s and F250s do not. It is really convenient in rush hour traffic. Even my 2014 Grand Cherokee had it and I did a short video showing it in operation while towing an open car trailer to the track.

My wife and I just went and test drove a number of SUVs this past weekend and nearly every single one had this feature, many of which it is now standard.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Senior User

I wasn't aware that there WERE that many vehicles with ACC. Nice.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Senior User

DISLTom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
TheLex must be a Subaru salesman.
As a former Outback owner with Eyesight I agree that the Ford system is inferior to Eyesight.

Quote:
Stop/Start? What does that have to do with ACC? Oh, and I effing HATE the stop/start in my wife's car, so no way in hell I'd want that crap in my truck. And studies have proven that it doesn't nothing but wear on your starter and components (no appreciable fuel savings).
You're confusing stop/start of the engine with stop/start via ACC. For example, the Eyesight system will completely stop the car when traffic in front of it stops (opposed to turning the engine off). When traffic starts to move, you tap the gas peddle and ACC resumes at the pace of traffic in front of it.

Quote:
I guess you should just go trade your truck in on a Subaru, eh?
Why so defensive? A Subaru can't haul tens of thousands of pounds of stuff.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Senior User

DISLTom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Ahh, OK. Never heard of that. So you're saying that the ACC "turns itself back ON" (to the same speed it was set at before) after you start moving again?
It never turns itself off once enabled unless you turn it off or hit the brake.

In my a-fore-mentioned Outback, I could enable ACC at 0 MPH.