ARE Z series shell questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARE Z series shell questions

Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Senior User

ctimrun is starting off with a positive reputation.
ARE Z series shell questions

Ordered an ARE Z series shell for my truck because I have heard good things about their quality and I liked the way they appeared to fit on our trucks in the (very) few pictures I have seen of them online.

Had the shell installed this morning and I’m not sure the installers placed it correctly on the truck. I asked them about it and they mumbled something about it being correct. I had a meeting to get to so I didn’t have time to stay there and convince them otherwise. If they did place it correctly I am pretty disappointed in the fit of this thing. Other than questioning the install/fitment of it I am pretty happy with the quality and finish of it, paint matches really well too.

Can anyone else who has this Z series shell put up pictures of how theirs fits on their truck?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Senior User

SESWIM is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nope. It is fitted too far back.

Sam

Cant really tell from the pictures but mine is even with the front.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Freshman User

Bread Truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does not matter what brand. You have a gap on the front and back. Don't take it back as the are too stupid or lazy to do it correctly. You should be able to loosen it up and slide it into correct position fairly easily.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Freshman User

Sf jakey is starting off with a positive reputation.
lift it to move it or you will tear the seal and it will leak like a sieve after.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Freshman User

Warhound is starting off with a positive reputation.
My MX series fits like a glove and like someone else said just move it a bit forward you should have plenty of room behind the cab. I had a Z series on my 2008 F150 and it fit real well even though i bought it used unlike my MX which i bought new.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESWIM View Post
Nope. It is fitted too far back.

Sam

Cant really tell from the pictures but mine is even with the front.
Thanks for the pics!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Truck View Post
Does not matter what brand. You have a gap on the front and back. Don't take it back as the are too stupid or lazy to do it correctly. You should be able to loosen it up and slide it into correct position fairly easily.
I agree, but being that I’m down in SoCal for work only I don’t have much help to move it. Worried I will tear up the seals by sliding it.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf jakey View Post
lift it to move it or you will tear the seal and it will leak like a sieve after.
Ya I’m thinking I may have to go back and tell them to do it right, even though I really agree with the statement above about them being too stupid or lazy to do it right the first time.

These truck accessory places have a crappy reputation for a reason.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
My MX series fits like a glove and like someone else said just move it a bit forward you should have plenty of room behind the cab. I had a Z series on my 2008 F150 and it fit real well even though i bought it used unlike my MX which i bought new.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Junior User

lcgeek is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Get inside truck bed and literally use your back and upper shoulders (with leg help of course) to lift up and walk it/nudge it an inch forward. That will help keep seal functional when you reposition it.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:31 AM
Senior User

shaneinga is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nope. I am not sure I would take it back to those muppets but it does need to be moved forward. I would let ARE know who the company is that installed it. They need to make it right and install it correctly. Hopefully they don't damage the seal on it.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Senior User

So yesterday I made an appointment to go back to the shop and have this thing moved forward slightly, sitting here in the lobby and they are moving it as I type this.

When I got here the manager (I guess) came out and looked at the truck and asked, “Now what are you trying to accomplish?” I explained I would like the shell moved forward slightly to the correct position so it looked right, and he said “Looks right to me.” I told him I guess I will have to move it myself, and he then said, “I guess we can try to move it forward and see how it turns out.” Obviously their response was very disappointing.

If I had some buddies near who could help me I would have left and done it myself, but I don’t so I asked them to fix it for me.

Funny thing is the secretary asked me if I would give them a yelp review on their business when I left yesterday. I will be leaving them a yelp review, but probably not what they had in mind when they asked.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 PM
New User

rcorkum4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimrun View Post
So yesterday I made an appointment to go back to the shop and have this thing moved forward slightly, sitting here in the lobby and they are moving it as I type this.

When I got here the manager (I guess) came out and looked at the truck and asked, “Now what are you trying to accomplish?” I explained I would like the shell moved forward slightly to the correct position so it looked right, and he said “Looks right to me.” I told him I guess I will have to move it myself, and he then said, “I guess we can try to move it forward and see how it turns out.” Obviously their response was very disappointing.

If I had some buddies near who could help me I would have left and done it myself, but I don’t so I asked them to fix it for me.

Funny thing is the secretary asked me if I would give them a yelp review on their business when I left yesterday. I will be leaving them a yelp review, but probably not what they had in mind when they asked.
Lookout for fit against bed light on the back of the cab. That may be why it was installed slightly to the rear. The front of the cap should align with the front edge of the bed, if not it may be a design flaw in the cap.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Senior User

They did end up moving it forward so it looks a lot better. The guy actually ended up explaining they had a new installer do the initial install and he did not put it on far enough forward. Didn’t appreciate his response when I first got there but they ended up making it right. Really happy with the ARE shell and the quality of it. I had a LEER cap on my last tuck and I feel this one has better quality. Hopefully it will last for as long as I keep the truck. Thanks to everyone for the input.

BTW for anyone who may be wondering about the brake light on the top of the cab of the truck being too close to the shell. The brake light and camera I have in my brake light doesn't come close to the cap at all, there is plenty of clearance. ARE did a good job with the fit on it.