F-350 truck camper load questions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-350 truck camper load questions

Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM
New User

Scott Central Oregon is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-350 truck camper load questions

I factory ordered a 2017 F-350 super duty long bed, 4x4, super cab, camper pkg, 11,400 GVWR pkg, 6.2 gas and plan to carry a truck camper. Ford shows the truck as configured will carry up to 3,786 of cargo. I'm looking at buying an Arctic Fox 990 camper with a 3,010 dry weight. It holds 59 gals of fresh water @ 492 lbs. Add in clothing, food, gear etc and 2-3 passengers and I'm over the cargo rating. Should I be concerned and start looking at lighter campers?

Will adding Hellwigs effectively increase the cargo rating or is that just marketing BS from Hellwig?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Senior User

stufarmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure the Weight Police will have plenty to say to answer your question. I too, will soon be carrying our new Camper with similar weights. Our difference is, I only carry enough Water as absolutely necessary. That 492 lbs. will make or break your over weight concerns. Will you be pushing your GVW .. maybe, but you'll easily be within your Axle and Combined GVW.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Junior User

nuctrooper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should be a great camper for your truck. You'll want to add air bags to help with the weight, add camper tie downs, and watch your rear tire inflation (should be max).
Of course there will be people that jump in and say never exceed the mfg rating. OK
I ran the Arctic Fox 811 on my 2003 F350 SRW for years and was very happy with it. (about 500# lighter than the 990).
Regarding the hellwig sway bars - you may consider them later, but I recommend you haul the TC on a trip or five first to see if you really need them. They don't increase the load carrying capacity, but they reduce the sway that is inherent in a large top heavy TC. I think you'll find that the truck handles just fine in its stock form (plus airbags) and bigger sway bars aren't needed.
Additional discussion about sway bars here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...questions.html
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Junior User

nuctrooper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Found the post I was looking for - cut and pasted from my previous discussion about upgrading sway bars:

First, I'd only recommend a sway bar upgrade IF you are hauling a truck camper. For just a trailer or 5th wheel, the drawbacks far outweigh any sway reduction. IF you are hauling a TC, then it may be a worthwhile change.
If you take your truck on off-road trails, extra stiff sway bars will significantly hurt the performance. On my old truck ('03 F350 SRW 6.0), I was hauling my TC and had near dangerous sway with the stock bars. I upgraded to the Hellwig Big Wig sway bars front and rear, and the difference was amazing. HUGE improvement with the TC loaded. Once the TC was off, though, a 6" cinder block under a front wheel would completely lift the same side rear tire and the other front tire off the ground. It was ridiculous - almost no unloaded articulation = almost no traction when off highway.
Because the '17's frame is so significantly stiffer than previous models, I'd be wary about changing sway bars before assessing their performance with the setup you want to run as it could be very easy to over-stiffen it (no jokes here). Assuming you have a TC, take it on a trip - if it seems to sway more than you'd like, consider a 450/hellwig sway bar. Otherwise, just enjoy and put the money into another upgrade. Just my $.02.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Freshman User

Sorrentino100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any chance of changing your factory order to a dual rear-wheel truck? For $1295 you'd be over 6000# in payload capacity with added stability.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Elder User

SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Central Oregon View Post
I factory ordered a 2017 F-350 super duty long bed, 4x4, super cab, camper pkg, 11,400 GVWR pkg, 6.2 gas and plan to carry a truck camper. Ford shows the truck as configured will carry up to 3,786 of cargo. I'm looking at buying an Arctic Fox 990 camper with a 3,010 dry weight. It holds 59 gals of fresh water @ 492 lbs. Add in clothing, food, gear etc and 2-3 passengers and I'm over the cargo rating. Should I be concerned and start looking at lighter campers?

Will adding Hellwigs effectively increase the cargo rating or is that just marketing BS from Hellwig?
The math is slightly more complicated.

The 3786 lb rating is for a paper-derated 11400 lb. GVWR truck. It' still an 11500 lb. GVWR truck (i.e., same parts), just with a different certification label. This lower GVWR qualifies some trucks for lower "under 11500 lb." registration fees in some states.

The camper weight specs above are not absolute. They assume a base (XL trim) truck with only mandatory options (i.e., camper package). The additional weight of higher trim level upgrades and other options will cut into the camper weight specs.

On the other hand, the max camper weight spec assumes a 150 lb. person in each seating position (including the driver). Assuming six seats, that's 900 lbs. of people. Perhaps your group will weigh less?

And, the weight specs assume that you new truck's 34 gallon fuel tank will be full.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Last edited by SDcrewzer; 10-12-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Correction: 34 gallon tank, not 48.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Elder User

WyoBull is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
See my truck in my signature for comparison. I carry a Northern Lite 8.11 QC SE and fully wet it comes in at 3500 lbs and that includes a full tank of gas and two passengers. My trucks handles it with ease and under all of the weight limits.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Junior User

ngamountains is starting off with a positive reputation.
Arctic Fox Weight

I'll let you make your own calculations and judgments, but will share with you as a fellow truck camper owner and shopper of Arctic Fox until a few months ago when I bought my Bigfoot, Arctic Fox has never made a 990 truck camper that weighed anywhere near 3010 pounds. Truck camper manufacturers do not follow any standard practice when specifying the weight of their campers, so any published spec needs to be taken with a grain of salt, to say the least.

In the case of the AF990, the 3010# spec is a "base model without options". But it gets better, as every Arctic Fox includes as a 'mandatory option' the "Fox Value Package", which includes 20 or so different items and adds almost 600 pounds to the 3010# "base dry weight" figure, So, before you add your first piece of truly 'optional' equipment that you may want from AFs optional equipment list, you're over 3600 pounds dry.

You can make your choices from there, but this is a much more honest place to start from regarding what an AF990 truly weighs than is 3010 pounds. Good luck however you decide to proceed.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Junior User

ngamountains is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post

...the weight specs assume that you new truck's 48 gallon fuel tank will be full.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Small point; the Super Cab tank is 34 gallons, not 48.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Freshman User

Rustofer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2017 F-350 CCLB 6.2 and carry a Northern Lite 9.6 Sportsman. Fully loaded with me and the wife, we are maxed out on the rear axle load, scaling at 7300 lb. I'd think the Arctic Fox 990 would put you well over your tire ratings. Personally, I'm not too concerned about the axle/suspension, but I will be looking for tires that will each carry at least 4000 lbs for my next set.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Senior User

River Wild is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've looked a the AF990 and other similar slide-ins with a slide out. Most of these campers, including a AF990 will weigh close to 5000lbs wet. I've got 4200+ payload but decided that weight is really dually country and I'm done with dually's. Campers without a slide like the Northen Lite will weigh less. My 2 cents....
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM
New User

Scott Central Oregon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lot of good advice here...thx. I'm now looking at Northern Lite Sportsman 9.6....2,200 dry weight. I'd rather be under than over on weight, for safety reasons.

As an aside, what's the typical discount off of MSRP for a Northern Lite camper? I know it's going to vary, just looking for a general idea. The AF990 quotes I received were about $4-5K below MSRP for new.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Senior User

landscapeguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wouldn't worry about it. Don't forget a truck camper gets a lot of weight over the front axle also..

and the ACTUAL "weight police" don't give a crap about the gvwr. They care about axle and tire ratings. And you will be under those especially since a lot of the weight will be over the front axle
Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Elder User

SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngamountains View Post
Small point; the Super Cab tank is 34 gallons, not 48.
Right you are! My apologies for the bad info; I've corrected original post.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Senior User

River Wild is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Central Oregon View Post
As an aside, what's the typical discount off of MSRP for a Northern Lite camper? I know it's going to vary, just looking for a general idea. The AF990 quotes I received were about $4-5K below MSRP for new.
In my research, I've heard and read typical mark up is around 30% on an RV or you can expect a "good" deal to be 30% of MSRP. I've been looking at different dealers and you see some only list MSRP and some list MSRP and their discounted price which is 9-20% off so there maybe some wiggle room in there. Everything I've seen is that buying an RV is nothing like buying a truck where you should pretty much know the pricing going into it. Service after the sale is another thing to consider as well. There are some interesting reads on the net via search on buying an RV. None of it really positive. Good luck.