Dry Camping/Battery Charging Questions - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Dry Camping/Battery Charging Questions

Old 10-13-2017, 06:15 AM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 3600 watt Westinghouse generator..

it has a 30 amp "RV" connector on it... from the factory.

my trailer has a long cord... so generator just sits in bed of truck..(chained down)
I start generator and plug in trailer...
works well for furnace, microwave, coffee pot .
Old 10-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Senior User

EDC8008 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I came to a realization with work, at about 2 weeks of being on the road is the break even point for pulling and staying in my trailer. After that you are saving money.

That being said I still prefer using my trailer for even short trips as the bathroom is always in the same place, the bed is the same, I can eat when and what I want, when I had the dogs they always went with me.

It helped with the first wife as she was on Oxygen and I had to carry her concentrator and spare tanks. Add to that when she got tired I could just pull over and she could sleep.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Senior User

dirthawg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When connecting an RV to shore power or a genset will the on-board converter/charger replenish a pair of batteries or even a single battery in a 10-12hr period?

Would connecting a quick charger directly to the batteries on the tongue without disconnecting them first cause any damage to the RV converter/charger or other wiring?
Old Today, 12:29 PM
Posting Guru

thomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to allthomabb is a name known to all
Running a generator while overnighting at a Walmart will likely get you kicked out. More and more Walmarts and/or the townships they are located in are not allowing overnight parking. Look to see if there is a Cabelas or two on your route. Also, there are truck stops and highway rest areas with RV spots where you can plug in for the night. Every 2nd or 3rd night in a KOA is a real good idea.
Old Today, 02:21 PM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a good reputation on FTE.
some of the national Chain Restaurants offer overnight parking for free..

a few even have marked off lanes just for RV's .. mostly in the rear of the building.. so away from road noise.
for self contained units only...
Old Today, 02:56 PM
Senior User

JayTheCPA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
When connecting an RV to shore power or a genset will the on-board converter/charger replenish a pair of batteries or even a single battery in a 10-12hr period?
Depends on how far down the batteries went and amperage of the charger.

Unless I am missing something, seeing as the battery bank should get a charge from the tow vehicle while traveling, the on-board charger should not have that much recovery to do.
Old Today, 04:25 PM

meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
Depends on how far down the batteries went and amperage of the charger.

Unless I am missing something, seeing as the battery bank should get a charge from the tow vehicle while traveling, the on-board charger should not have that much recovery to do.
The rate if charge from the tow vehicle depends on the difference in voltage between the TV and coach battery. As the charge on the coach is restored the rate of charge drops to almost nothing which is why they go dead after 2 or 3 days without being plugged in. They are just never getting s full charge from the TV.

This is why I suggested the DC-DC charger. It will maintain a full charge rate while driving and keep the charge up.

The 12v wire from the TV should be considered a charge maintainer, not a charger.