Dry Camping/Battery Charging Questions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Dry Camping/Battery Charging Questions

Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Posting Legend

Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
for those asking about the BBH options off their LP trailer tanks... make sure you attach them with the inline filters from Mr Heater's site.. many in the tent camping world tend to connect their bulk tanks to it for extended use time.. and while it will work without them they have a bad tendency to build up what people are describing as "slime" on the ceramic tile when connected to the bulk LP tanks.. its believed this happens because of the higher pressures the bulk tanks are under vs the small camping cylinders and will push liquefied fuel through the lines. The filters catch this preventing it from building up on the tile. some have reported the "slime" actually catching on fire resulting in bigger issues..
Old 10-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
On off-brand gensets the single consideration is reliability and fixability. I know some dealers that sell them regard them as throw-aways, if they tear up. For about the same price you can often find used Hondas with minimal usage.

Steve
Old 10-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Post Fiend

seventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud ofseventyseven250 has much to be proud of
Man, I love my trailer and I don't mind towing but if this was me I'd be staying in hotels and leave the RV at home. You'll get there faster, save a load on fuel, and probably overall have a less stressful trip.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Elder User

brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Great idea. I love the Buddy Heaters. Only caveat is to tee it like a pro. No rubber hoses and hose clamps for the line. Other than that, heck yes, go for it!

STeve
I am picturing a tee at the furnace with a shutoff valve and a coupler. Hose with coupler and plug. a plug on the heater. Make an access door to reach in and hook up the hose. Is this how it is normally done?

I also thought it would be cool to add a line with a coupler outside to hook up my small grill with the same hose as the heater. last year I drug around a tank for it so I had the 2 30# and a 20#. I think 2 30# is plenty.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Post Fiend

RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
I am picturing a tee at the furnace with a shutoff valve and a coupler. Hose with coupler and plug. a plug on the heater. Make an access door to reach in and hook up the hose. Is this how it is normally done?

I also thought it would be cool to add a line with a coupler outside to hook up my small grill with the same hose as the heater. last year I drug around a tank for it so I had the 2 30# and a 20#. I think 2 30# is plenty.
That sounds about right. I have also seen folks tee on the line to the fridge. It varies with what you have. I didn't run a search, but I bet there is something showing how on YouTube. I have seen folks hook up a fitting like you had in high school chemistry class for the bunsen burner and run a soft hose to a fitting with a hose clamp. Those kinds of things scare me!

Steve
Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Elder User

brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
That sounds about right. I have also seen folks tee on the line to the fridge. It varies with what you have. I didn't run a search, but I bet there is something showing how on YouTube. I have seen folks hook up a fitting like you had in high school chemistry class for the bunsen burner and run a soft hose to a fitting with a hose clamp. Those kinds of things scare me!

Steve
Perfect thanks. I have seen some on youtube but wanted your professional opinion.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Post Fiend

Be careful of professional opinions. As the saying goes "all experience means is having the chance to make the same mistake more than one time".

Steve
Old 10-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
If you figured that the cost would be abut the same, I think I would opt towards a safe trip with the family and leaved the RV at home! One- the thing wasn't built for winter travel - 2 - Who knows what weather you are gonna find? 3 - Would you sacrifice your wife and kids to save a few hundred bucks ? That's the final reason.... I surely would not!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Senior User

Sancho is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have traveled a lot in cold weather. Finding a place to park with power is important. Carry an electric heater. Lots of county fairgrounds have low cost parking,open in winter.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 PM
New User

stattlich1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyseven250 View Post
Man, I love my trailer and I don't mind towing but if this was me I'd be staying in hotels and leave the RV at home. You'll get there faster, save a load on fuel, and probably overall have a less stressful trip.

Good luck.
I'm with seventyseven on this one, I'd leave the trailer at home and bust out and back in the truck, staying at cheap motels along the way.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Senior User

dirthawg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Your trailer should connect directly to the Honda generator. It will have a 30 amp plug on it that should fit your trailer.
Neither of the gensets will connect directly to the trailer. My old (circa late 80's) EMS4500 has a 3 prong twist lock 30a outlet and the EU2000i only has 2 standard 15A plugs. I do have the 30A RV to 15A adapter to use with a standard extension cord. The more I think about it I really don't want to bring my EMS4500 along. It sits higher than the bed rails which will prevent the tonneau from closing. Again theft issues.

Quote:
You are really limitied with a single battery.
Very long shoreline to run from back of trailer to truck bed. Have to find a way to do so safely.
I think you will find furnace draw/hour is more than you are anticipating depending on the weather.
Whether or not the truck will recharge the battery depends how depleted it is.
Lots to consider. At some point the equation starts to rebalance to "even if you can, do you really want to?"

Steve
So if I get what you are saying, your idea is to use a genset to charge the trailer battery through the standard 30A cord while driving? I didn't even consider that option because I wasn't sure if the onboard converter would be able to charge a depleated battery in 10 hours time. My thought was bring along the EU2000i, a standard quick charger and a spare Deep Cycle battery. Replace the depleated RV battery with a fresh one before leaving in the AM and also set up the genset and charger to charge the depleated battery in the back of the truck while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford View Post
you might NOT like this.

winterize trailer.. the DRY style.. no water.. no freezing...
keep one gallon jugs of water in truck... I carry 6 jugs for 4 days of travel.

put only pee in bathroom... use restaurants restrooms for other.

heat water on the stove.. and wash the body..
or use generator to run microwave... warm half gallon of water and wash cloth.. to wash body..
or pay for use shower in Truck Stops.

going south route is not always a warmer route.. and adding 1,000 miles is not a good plan.

Furnace.. will draw 10 to 12 amps.. mine does... and one battery will never make it.. and truck will not recharge it in 12 hours of driving. as that circuit is limited to 20 amp MAX.

so use heavy blankets... or sub-freezing sleeping bags on bed. and keeping trailer at 60 degrees and only while you are in the trailer... turn off when returning to driving status

this is the way I do it.. 4 days out and 4 days back...
You know I didn't give it much thought that I might have to overnight in freezing or below temps, New Mexico gets colder than I anticipated during the night in December. First night will definatly be somewhere in NM. I've never been I40 to I5 and on up the I5 corridor. I can always run the genset until lights out, run off the battery until I wake, then run the genset again until we pull out. I totaly agree on the extra blankets and the spunge bath method is doable. The wife won't like it much but as long as she gets a shower at some point in the 5 day trip she should be good. Maybe we can dewinterize in California and use the plumbing? Thanks for your tips on heating water and such.

You all are slowly making me reconsider dragging the trailer along. To answer a few of the previous questions I will be traveling with 4 people, Myself, Wife, 15yr old daughter and 11 year old son. On the return trip home I will be bringing back my fathers fire arm collection, which was the main reason I considered bringing the RV along. Traveling with just the truck and securing them under the toneau might be a better option. The thought of loading and unloading the firearms each night at the hotel doesn't sound very appealing. But then again I didn't anticipate the freezing temps along I40 and how that would cripple the RV.

Keep the ideas coming I have a decision to make and soon!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
If you figured that the cost would be abut the same, I think I would opt towards a safe trip with the family and leaved the RV at home! One- the thing wasn't built for winter travel - 2 - Who knows what weather you are gonna find? 3 - Would you sacrifice your wife and kids to save a few hundred bucks ? That's the final reason.... I surely would not!
I completely agree with this entirely safety first regardless of the cost.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Post Fiend

You know, it is obvious to me you have given this a lot of thought, which I respect, but man dragging that camper will really require a lot of adjustments. I think you are getting outvoted on this one. What does the missus say?

Steve
Old 10-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Senior User

dirthawg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There are other factors that bringing an RV along would be advantageous. Having a place to stay while in Seattle, rather than burdening family members for a spare bed or couch. It's a possibility we may have to bring the dogs along (chinese pug and boston terrier).

I thought I had given this trip a lot of thought but ya'll brought more than I could foresee to my attention.

I'm always up for an adventure, but not when time is limited, it becomes more of a chore than an adventure.

The misses only cares about how long she gets to spend with the family once we arrive. All of our family is in the Seattle area. She dislikes public toilets and showers and doesn't like to be cold/hot (one of the reasons we purchased a travel trailer and don't tent camp any longer). I see a speedy trip through the mountains with warm hotel stays in my future.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 PM

meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
For less cost than a genset, one of these would likely charge the coach battery to near 100% in a 10hr drive.

https://www.redarc.com.au/smart-start-bcdc

The link below explains why this this type of charger will work while the "charge lead" on the vehicle doesn't.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...G-IbRBUb0vStPh

A solid option for someone who dry camps frequently. With the right one you could fully charge the coach battery while driving because you can keep delivering a charging current as the coach battery approaches a high state of charge where the "charge wire" naturally stops charging. A 10A charger would deliver a true 100AHr in a 10hr drive which is enough to fully charge a single large deep cycle (110AHr is pretty typical) even if it was fully depleted.

Something to think about
Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
We will stay every other night at a KOA sometimes. Alternating with a Wal-Mart.

Stay at the KOA with water and electric and then dump for free on your way out.

Run a generator as suggested and chain it to your leg of the trailer.