Sponsored by: Moser

Smoke and 1 plug fouling

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meangreen92
If it's chattering, be sure to get your flywheel resurfaced.

Mine would chatter in reverse, and then a few weeks ago while working on something else on the truck, I noticed two missing bell-housing bolts! Then I checked the remaining ones, and one was loose and the others weren't very tight. So I checked the transmission bolts, and they weren't very tight either. I replaced the missing bolts and tightened everything down, and that got rid of the chatter.
I was told by the mechanic that changed my clutch that it was an older style 3 finger clutch. He replaced it with a new multi finger clutch and works much better.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Originally Posted by PA74F250
I really doubt you have 1 cyl with bad valve seals. Years ago I fought the same thing for a while till I figured out the intake gasket was bad for whatever reason on 1 cyl.

Usually you'll see valve seals causing smoke when you go down a hill coasting not so much on startup. I know I changed seals and it wasn't any better. I ran on it on a hill leaning each way till it smoked like crazy. If you're guides are good there really is nothing wrong with old style umbrella seals, obviously the newer style is better.

Heck some of our old tractors don't even have valve seals. Not saying it's right but that's the way it was back then and they don't spew smoke.
The mechanic I took it to said that there was no scoring of the cylinder,and the valve seals looked good.He used a camera to inspect cylinder. so the only thing it could be is a leaking intake gasket or rings in that cylinder. He said to take it back to the guy that overhauled the engine. I hesitate to because warranty is gone but at least he knows that engine.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:19 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Its either the intake is warped some or he messed up the gasket trying to get the heavy thing aligned.

What style intake is on it?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Hotrod_Merc
Freshman User
Don't forget the obvious. If a plug is not firing effectively it can become fouled. Make sure the ignition wire is seated on the plug and the distributor. Check the plug gap, the rotor, and cap. Check wire resistance.

I know this sounds like, "did you try unplugging it and plugging it in again." But it is the simple stuff we all tend to overlook.

My last rebuild I had three plugs foul despite running okay. In the rush of the build the wires were not fully seated on the cap. No more fouling once their was actual continuity.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:40 AM
lalberts
Tuned
Its either the intake is warped some or he messed up the gasket trying to get the heavy thing aligned.

What style intake is on it?
Edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 1406 carb

Old 10-22-2017, 10:26 AM
lalberts
Tuned
Originally Posted by meangreen92
If it's chattering, be sure to get your flywheel resurfaced.

Mine would chatter in reverse, and then a few weeks ago while working on something else on the truck, I noticed two missing bell-housing bolts! Then I checked the remaining ones, and one was loose and the others weren't very tight. So I checked the transmission bolts, and they weren't very tight either. I replaced the missing bolts and tightened everything down, and that got rid of the chatter.
Had a old style 3 finger clutch and was replaced with a multi finger clutch and it OH so much better now! shoulda done this from the beginning! Made a different Truck outa a new clutch!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So the new mechanic only used a camera to look at the cylinder? No compression check? No tests for a vacuum leak? Did he swap plug wires to see if the wire could be bad? Did you use the original wires?

What exactly does "rebuilt" mean? A complete tear down, new crank, rods, pistons, rings, etc.? Rebuild as in use the heads as is? Rebuild meaning new gaskets and soft parts?

Take it back to the rebuilder. 5000 mile warranty is 5000, so expect to pay but at least he knows what was included and excluded in the rebuild.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:44 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
So the new mechanic only used a camera to look at the cylinder? No compression check? No tests for a vacuum leak? Did he swap plug wires to see if the wire could be bad? Did you use the original wires?

What exactly does "rebuilt" mean? A complete tear down, new crank, rods, pistons, rings, etc.? Rebuild as in use the heads as is? Rebuild meaning new gaskets and soft parts?

Take it back to the re-builder. 5000 mile warranty is 5000, so expect to pay but at least he knows what was included and excluded in the rebuild.
The original engine had a cracked block and the heads were bad also so he got a different used block and rebuilt it, completely so he says. The other mechanic my new one says he does not do comprehensive engine repair or rebuilds so he recommends I take it back to the mechanic that originally done the engine. That is what I plan on do-in this come-in Monday is see what he will do for me.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Originally Posted by Ozzie H.
The oil is more viscous when cold, and on some engines it takes a while for the oil to make its way to the rockers. (I'm not sure about the 390.) As mentioned already, you may be able to learn something by just inspecting the valve stem seals without removing the heads. But it also wouldn't be a bad idea to do a comprehensive compression test of the engine if it hasn't been done recently. You could save the results for future comparisons. If there is a ring or piston problem it will likely show up in the test.
I took the truck back to the shop where I had the engine built, they are gonna diagnose the oil burn-in problem.Paid 4200 to rebuild engine By GOSH they better make it wright! Only got 5100 miles on since complete overhaul.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Originally Posted by jakeharp
Well that is very common, specially if it had the old umbrella seals on it, replacing them means pulling valve springs, which can be done with heads on and heads off.... heads on naturally is the preffered method and requires the air hose adapter and shop air to keep valve from dropping while your working on it.... also if any head work has ever been done on your truck finding the correct valve stem seal size can be some serious detective work.... and you want the new rubber type with spring that dosent require milling on the head...

The new seal can be slightly shorter but must be dam perfect for circumference.... heres where i ended up finding a good match for my FE heads.... use a micrometer to measure the seals you take off as a starting point to get a good match...

https://www.alexsparts.com/
Finally got it in the shop and the mechanic that rebuilt the engine is gonna work on that. He says intake looks good clean no oil thru intake gasket so next step is to pull that head. He already did a compression check and that is good. He says pull head and check it over and if nothing surfaces there he'll have to pull #6 Piston to see if there is a problem there. May be an expensive job? But Its godda be done!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Found problem!

Originally Posted by Jklnhyd

Take it back to the rebuilder. 5000 mile warranty is 5000, so expect to pay but at least he knows what was included and excluded in the rebuild.
The problem has been solved! Bad Intake gasket and was sucking oil from under the intake manifold. That intake was new and just installed in April so there should be some kind of warranty? But at least i'll get it home now!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:54 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Do I win a prize?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 PM
jackburtonme
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lalberts
Had a old style 3 finger clutch and was replaced with a multi finger clutch and it OH so much better now! shoulda done this from the beginning! Made a different Truck outa a new clutch!
Yes, Diaphragm vs. lever style clutch. Been there done that too.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 PM
lalberts
Tuned
Do I win a prize?
Actually, Yes you would Win! It was not warped it was a Gasket that did not get set in place properly and eventually slipped outa place enough to start suck-in oil. That was a New Intake, Edelbrock performer in April so should not have been warped. Never overheated the engine so all is fine.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 PM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
i figured it was either messed up like it was or warped. Usually I think guys mess up gaskets more when the intake is heavy factory type. At least you're good to go now.