What's the purpose of this and how does it work? OT - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What's the purpose of this and how does it work? OT

Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
What's the purpose of this and how does it work? OT

I saw this today.

Why? And how can those wheels go around at that angle and don't the tires rub?

The outer tread doesn't even touch the road!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Posting Guru

pineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud ofpineconeford has much to be proud of
Last time I saw wheels like that it was AFTER a demolition derby.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Senior User

oneye is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fast and Furious standing still....
Old 10-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Postmaster

topmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant futuretopmoo has a brilliant future
More money than brains?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Elder User

avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.avf100 has a great reputation on FTE.
One of my client's son has a Honda Civic set up like that, but I have no clue why.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Senior User

Marten is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is what some of the cool kids are doing. Car may be on bags as well, lots of rear end camber. Some places have banned tire stretching like that, tires have a habit of letting go of the rims. Not my thing but hey, I run on the dark side with my truck parts., lol
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Senior User

bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.
Damn rice burners
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Senior User

bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.bhalemail has a good reputation on FTE.
This is the time when you wish you had an old mustang with 289 or 302 and was in front of them. Give em the old James Bond smoke screen.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten View Post
That is what some of the cool kids are doing. Car may be on bags as well, lots of rear end camber. Some places have banned tire stretching like that, tires have a habit of letting go of the rims. Not my thing but hey, I run on the dark side with my truck parts., lol
Tire stretching??? How's that work?

Did old fogies like us talk about young kids in the 70's (us) putting airshocks on their cars and jacking them up?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
I think the Japanese started that whole extreme camber thing. I've seen some pretty crazy pictures. I don't know how the axles, and CV joints hold up.

Is the "tire stretching" what they call it when they put a narrow tire on a wide wheel so that the sidewalls are splayed way out?

If so, we've had that out here for decades. The lowriders have been doing it for years. They'll run tiny little narrow tires on wider "tru-spoke" wheels. Back in my days at a tire store you would have to use the old starter fluid trick to seat the beads

Bobby
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Postmaster

jmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to all
Ive seen that before, only they didnt have the fender flairs on. The fenders were all beat up from the tires rubbing and hitting into the wheel wells. I bet they burn up tires fast.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Posting Guru

mOROTBREATH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The extreme negative camber is a play on racecars that use negative camber for better handling, however negative camber of that degree is never necessary in any racing I've seen.

Yes that is what is called tire stretching.

The term for this style of modification is called "Hellaflush", just google it. It's been popular for about 10 years now. It takes expensive tires, ruining them; custom camber kits, wheel spacers. It generally require most or all of the suspension travel to be nullified, giving a very harsh ride, (ironically) poor handling, is generally expensive, and for most mature crowds is frowned upon; yes even by import guys themselves, many of them see it the same way you do: looks dumb, bad for performance instead of good, waste of good money.

Google hellaflush, and have some fun!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Elder User

EBEAR is a name known to allEBEAR is a name known to allEBEAR is a name known to allEBEAR is a name known to allEBEAR is a name known to allEBEAR is a name known to all
If this site wasn't the best most accepting of diversity site I have ever been on I would say what I really thought . But my mom told me if you can't say anything nice " you guys know the rest " .
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 AM
New User

jcslocum is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Did old fogies like us talk about young kids in the 70's (us) putting airshocks on their cars and jacking them up?
Yup. Hi-Jackers and Cherry Bomb mufflers. They all thought we were NUTS and being foolish. Just expressing our young selves.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Senior User

rico56 has a good reputation on FTE.rico56 has a good reputation on FTE.
If that car had a rear axle I'd say it's broken and the car was left there . You'd never allowed on the road with such a wheel alignment here in Germany. I guess that guy needs to buy new tires every two weeks, or turn them around after two weeks and buy new ones after 4 weeks