2017 F250 5th wheel puck system - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017 F250 5th wheel puck system

Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 PM
New User

michaelschue is starting off with a positive reputation.
2017 F250 5th wheel puck system

Bare with me this is a little long but I need to explain it all, looking for help.

Is anyone else having the same issue or has anyone heard of anyone else.

I recently bought a 2017 F250 4 door diesel 4x4 to pull our new 5th wheel camper. The truck has factory install trailer puck system for 5th wheel hitches and gooseneck trailers. I bought a B&W companion slide 5th wheel hitch for the Ford puck system.
I installed the hitch as per the instructions, The hitch has 4 feet on the bottom of the hitch, place the 4 feet on the bottom of the hitch on top of the 4 pucks in the bed of the truck. When I did this i noticed the hitch rocked from corner to corner, slight but enough to make loud clanging noise. I adjusted the bolts that fall down into the pucks on the truck to tighten the hitch down as per instructions. When i tested the slide on the hitch I noticed the slide was binding. I loosened the lock down bolts and the slide moved freely.
I contacted B&W thinking the hitch may be unlevel or to find out if there something else I need to do. B&W was great and said the hitch should sit level on all 4 pucks in the back of the truck, no rocking. B&W without question shipped out another hitch within a couple of days, no questions asked. The second was the same again. The customer service rep. took my concerns all the way up to the top of the company and engineers. B&W shipped out a 3rd hitch that was guaranteed and certified to be completely level. The 3rd hitch was the same. I felt like a fool at this point and turned to the NEW Ford truck pucks discovering after measuring and hours of leveling discovering NOT all 4 of the pucks in the truck are the same height. I went to my local Ford dealership and demonstrated my problem. Pictures were taken and sent to Ford and Ford told the dealership to replace the puck system, which was done a few days later. When I went to pick up the truck, I could see that the pucks were still not all the same height. There are no adjustments to the pucks. Ford sent out an technician of some type that did a bunch of measurements on the pucks with the bed on and off. The next day a special puck measuring device was shipped into the dealership from another dealership out west. The pucks were measured with the bed on and off the truck. So far Ford is saying the difference in height on the pucks are within their "tolerance" plus or minus 3mm. I find this really hard to believe that Ford can not get all four of the pucks in the bed the same height. Still waiting on my case worker from Ford Corp. to call back with the final options.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
I wouldn't put up with their answer..... last resort (at Ford's expense) is to have a washer machined to install under/on the low side and run with it.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
never heard of this issue. I have the system in my 2013 and have no issue with the reese elite hitch.

I think Bud is onto something with some shims.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Iíve got the factory prep on my 2015 with the B&W and it fits like a glove. I think Ford needs to do a little more investigation.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:19 AM
Junior User

backtrack2015 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I responded to your other post as well. I have the exact same problem. My front driver's-side puck seems to be 3-mm lower than the others. While I did install a washer today which compensates for the problem, I'm still interested in how they fix this for you. I'll likely request the same solution.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 PM
New User

michaelschue is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
I responded to your other post as well. I have the exact same problem. My front driver's-side puck seems to be 3-mm lower than the others. While I did install a washer today which compensates for the problem, I'm still interested in how they fix this for you. I'll likely request the same solution.
I will keep you updated. I was contacted by Ford again this week for my weekly call but there was no progress at all. They were given completely wrong information from the Engineer, that they were able to install the hitch making adjustments and the slide worked but infact the hitch was binding so bad I had to use all my weight and force the slide to move. I can see eventual damage or failure to the slide rails, slide rollers or hitch in the future.

Will you send me a picture of the washers you used and what you made, NOT as an alternative but as example.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Freshman User

First Dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelschue View Post
Will you send me a picture of the washers you used and what you made...

Thanks
Please post...I'd like to see your solution.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Junior User

backtrack2015 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelschue View Post
I will keep you updated. I was contacted by Ford again this week for my weekly call but there was no progress at all. They were given completely wrong information from the Engineer, that they were able to install the hitch making adjustments and the slide worked but infact the hitch was binding so bad I had to use all my weight and force the slide to move. I can see eventual damage or failure to the slide rails, slide rollers or hitch in the future.

Will you send me a picture of the washers you used and what you made, NOT as an alternative but as example.

Thanks
I expect mine was exactly the same as yours, with the front passenger-side being 3-mm high. I installed the washer on the front driver's side to eliminate the wobble. I expect this problem is pretty common but only really impacts the sliders.

I found some steel washers at Tractor Supply that are 2.5" OD and 1" ID (3/4" ID would be best). They are 3-mm thick. The bit of the hitch foot that inserts into the puck is ~1.75" long and ~7/8" wide (rounded on the ends). The photo below shows the washer with the marks for cutting on it (remove everything colored black).

Here is a photo with the washer installed. I just noticed I didn't pop the plastic ring back into place perfectly. The washer is not sitting on the plastic ring but simply sits on top of the puck.

I hope this gives you a better idea what was done. I didn't do the best job cutting the hole in the washer because I didn't have the right tools. I'll probably see if I can get one with a 3/4" ID and cut it properly sometime in the next few weeks before I tow again. Hopefully Ford will cough up something better.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
You know what rthey say - "Hope in one hand .... .. ... ....."