1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Howdy from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Guntown
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy from Texas

New Member as of late and finally had a chance to snap a few pics of the New to me gal. I have not done to much yet besides pull the seat out to inspect the cab floor. I found one small hole in passenger floor about 1/8" and nothing else. I first eyed this F1 the first year I worked patrol in the County I live. It was parked at an old closed down store under an awning and it was in great shape. The years went by and I told myself to try to find out the owner and see if they were interested in selling. I ran the license plates but it had been expired for 10+ years. One day it was gone and I thought that was it, I had my chance. Low and behold I located it in a Pasture dying a slow death. I talked to the land owner and it took 2 months for him to decide to sell it and mission accomplished. Lots of paperwork and such to get e title but its done. I took some CLR and some scotchbrite pads and scrubed the surface to bring out the Patina that was hidden from view. I am going to leave it that way and put some Eastwood patina preserver to seal it. Now just gathering info and parts for the girl. She's gonna take awhile to get her back on her feet but "Destind" will be out on the roads again.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:32 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome!

That is one well preserved F1 for having been poorly treated. Very solid looking and looks to be meadow green under the various repaint attempts. What are your plans?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Guntown
Freshman User
Craig

Goal is to create a Driver that the Wifey can enjoy too. Which means automatic trans, good brakes and power steering. I have 2 small block chevys on hand and just picked up a 1986 bronco 302 motor that needs to be rebuilt. I have THM 400 on hand but looking for Ford trans for the 302. Ford 9 on hand out of a 88 full size Bronco which is 65" wide that would need to be shortened to fit it. Also picked up a 86 Jag XJ6 rear end for cheap if I go that route. Found countless explorer rears within a hour of home to buy also. Cant decide what to do on front end. I like the Nostalgia Sid's stuff with a power box. Or the Jag front end too. Mustang II is another also I like. Only thing is I would have to enlist the talent of a welder in the area. With the Oil Industry here there is alot of them around or find a shop within a acceptable distance to do that task. My First Ford I have ever owned and it will be cool to have. Thanks Craig......

Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Howdy from Maine.

That truck is in great condition compared to most that have sat outside for years. That looks like a 'Smash Hit' brand of rear bumper, that is also in good shape. Those were made in Texas if I'm not mistaken. I like your plans to keep the exterior finish as-is.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Tom

Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Guntown, welcome to FTE the best Ford truck forum on the world wide web.

​​​​youve already made a good intro with all those pictures! You truck looks amazing. Your bed is nice and straight. Looks like someone picked some parts off of it, like the radio speaker cover and the radio delete plate, the front bumper and grille Guard and even a spotlight. But you got a nice truck! No rust holes.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Guntown
Freshman User
Thanks Abe, I took the grille gaurd off to get to the front end to CLR it. The Grille guard is in great shape, it had to lamps on it, one clear and the other yellow which have Ford igsignias on them. The housings were chrome but there not in to good a shape. The Bumper is great and plain steel finished. As far as the interior goes I have the glove box door with the Info plate still intake. There is rust on the dash where the door hinge for the glove box attaches to the dash but I think I can graft some metal strip to secure the door to the dash. Interior trim i took out it was in sad shape, only found one mouse nest and a couple mud dobber clods. Spot Light was gone. I located one at a junk yard nearby for $50 is that a good price? The inside handle needs alittle work, but it will plug the hole in the pillar at least.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Welcome to FTE Craig, nice find and I like your plans for it!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi from Northern California. I just love F-1's. Congratulations on finally getting it into your care, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed working on mine. Welcome to FTE

Old 03-23-2018, 07:42 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is a great looking unmolested monkeyface. Keep us up to date as you progress in bringing the truck back to life.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome from another Texan, good looking truck and nice save!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Guntown
Thanks Abe, I took the grille gaurd off to get to the front end to CLR it. The Grille guard is in great shape, it had to lamps on it, one clear and the other yellow which have Ford igsignias on them. The housings were chrome but there not in to good a shape. The Bumper is great and plain steel finished. As far as the interior goes I have the glove box door with the Info plate still intake. There is rust on the dash where the door hinge for the glove box attaches to the dash but I think I can graft some metal strip to secure the door to the dash. Interior trim i took out it was in sad shape, only found one mouse nest and a couple mud dobber clods. Spot Light was gone. I located one at a junk yard nearby for $50 is that a good price? The inside handle needs alittle work, but it will plug the hole in the pillar at least.
If you have most of the missing stuff, then it is an even better buy! I think $50 for a working spotlight with good chrome housing is OK. Look at eBay spotlights to get an idea.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:00 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
$50 for a spotlight is on the high end of prices. If it works and will fit, those are pluses. Would be best to determine if the bulb is 12V (I'm assuming you'll be converting) to save some messing around later.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 PM
rpm56
New User
Dang, I love the look of your truck! Congrats on finally getting ahold of it. There seems to be a presence of active or retired coppers here, welcome to the forum from the retired side.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Looking good Guntown.
I am partial to the Jag IFS and IRS handles great.

If you need help with the Jag install, I can provide advise and photos. Love the patina.
Take Care
Dan

Old 03-23-2018, 10:30 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey there Guntown! Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving and protecting!
I just wanted to comment on the truck bed. It's not a big deal to me, but it has the smooth sides, from a '51 and newer model, Nothing wrong with that at all, but just brought it up.
Looking forward to watching your progress!

Quick Reply: Howdy from Texas