Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Hesson81
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oil level Rising..

2003 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW

Rough year my Truck and I..

History about July if this year i had a pretty good oil leak in the valley. I suspected it to be the HPOP. I didn't have time to try and Fix myself so I took it to the Shop. It was leaking out of the weep hole according to them. Hpop replaced. I also Had the waste gate actuator replaced (I brought it). They removed the Turbo which I guess is the procedure. They replaced the IPR sensor as well.

Fast forward two months. I started dealing with low boost. I changed the MAP sensor taking a stab in the dark, Eventually I took it in, thinking the Turbo was done, They said it was the EBPV valve that was sticking. They Charged me about 500 bucks to remove the turbo again, and free up the EBPV valve and restore the "turbo to normal function".. It did, truck started running good again..

I had checked my Oil level about 2 months ago, prior to my oil change interval, I noticed it was about a 16th-and 8th of inch higher than the upper level, and I thought the health of the oil wasn't that great, Seemed to black, but I thought maybe it had something to do with running with no boost for a while.

November changed the Oil.. I'm almost sure I took out about 16 qts, I put 15 qts in. I have done about 700 miles on that change. I check the Oil level today. and it is indeed higher than The Upper limit again.. about 16th of an inch as of now. I'm thinking that equals about a half a quart.

I've always changed my oil myself since I got the truck in 2018 and I've never seen that rise before, Also oil stays somewhat healthy for the Duration of the Interval.

I am noticing a lower than normal coolant over flow level.. I'm gonna get it for this one, but I bought it in 2018 with what was freshly changed coolant (proper Level), I have never done anything to it.

I don't know if it's in my head but the oil Pressure seems Slightly higher than I've seen before, and this is only by the Gauge on the cluster.. Does the OBD2 scanner tool have a way of looking at oil pressures?

I took it to Jacksonville for thanks giving. I had the truck loaded pretty close to the pay load. I did some city driving out there with some idling (warming up), When I got back I got 16.7 MPG on about a 450 Mile Tank..

So those are the facts as I know them... One would think that this is Injector O rings, I'm leaning toward that, but also may there be some Turbo issues with this as well??

Thanks again guys and gals. Always appreciate your help..

Jeff

Old 12-07-2021, 01:34 PM
CJWisinski
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Does your oil smell of diesel fuel? If coolant was getting into your oil it would turn colors and not be black black

Old 12-07-2021, 03:42 PM
RyeThomas
FTE JarHead!
Received 85 Likes on 47 Posts
Ok so coolant level, mine changes if I back in or pull in my pretty level spot, mine changes depending how warm it is. At first I worried, now I realize it does what it does and as long as It’s got some and it’s not blowing all over the engine I don’t really worry about it.
Oil level is also pretty subjective. Some trucks burn certain types/brands some don’t. Making oil, well does it smell like diesel, put a drop on a paper towel and see if you see different shading. Course that’s shade tree there is also dye tests or oil analysis to check for fuel. The color of the oil without an oil analysis means nothing, diesel oil gets black fast.
From what I’ve read being a bit over full on these trucks doesn’t matter. Heck a lot of guys put in a full four gallons at oil change. I have as well.
From my understanding all the gauges are like most trucks and are range based and not accurate.

Im sure more experts will chime in, I’m still learning but had a lot of your same concerns.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:28 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The truck holds a full 16 quarts, sooo....if this is a new development, I would think there may be an injector o-ring issue and diesel is mixing in the oil, but that is a guess at this point. I would send a sample to either Blackstone or Schaeffers.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:02 PM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,613 Likes on 956 Posts
Black oil is normal, and nothing to be concerned about, even after a short distance. If your oil level is not continuing to climb, it shouldnt be an issue. You shouldnt get fuel in oil from injectors, since the high pressure oil would overcome the <70psi of fuel pressure. At 16+mpg seems to be running well.

I will chime in more, wife just called the kids and I to the dinner table :-)

Old 12-07-2021, 07:05 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Typically, I change my oil, and put 14 quarts in. Drive it down the street and back.... let it sit.... then add enough to get to Full on dip stick. Check it next morning, after its sat all night, and see if it is still ok.

Remember, when you drain the oil.... you have oil left in oil cooler, oil rails, hopper, etc.... you can't get all the old oil out of the engine. So, in a day or so, it will be black looking because it mixed with old oil.

As said above... doubtful you have injector problems causing oil to rise on dip stick. Especially, if you getting over 17 mpg !

Perhaps oil cooler o-rings are leaking.... but then the oil would smell like diesel.... or diesel would be in your anti freeze.

Post photos of engine bay, the folks here will point out what little things need to be done ! We like to spend other people's $$$$

Old 12-07-2021, 07:31 PM
ESwift
cncfab
Oil cooler orings would be oil in coolant or vice versa, diesel in coolant would be cracked injector cup(s) but siince his coolant may be a smodge low it shouldnt be that, it would fill more if fuel was getting into coolant. Coolant low may be from a hot tow and some overflow, or a tiny leak at a coolant hose clamp etc, water pump weep, generally not much concern if it is staying steady over time, at 3 years a flush and refill with new t-stat may be a maintenance item soon.

Oil pressure gauge is just for lpop, nothing accurate really. You obviously have lpop presure~truck is running, and at that mpg, seemingly very well.
I would say to just keep an eye on fluids over time to see if there is any Significant change. Or if your mog tanks, or if an odd sounds appears, power loss etc. Keep an eye out for boost leaks etc.

I have found thay a decent percentage of our "problems" we worry about are not really a problem or sign of one, and that trying to fix problems that arent really there can lead to frustration, expense, and worse problems. So do what you are doing~ take notes, pay attention to details, be alert to any changes, and ask for advice

Old 12-08-2021, 07:35 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Coolant low can also be from a bad seal on the overflow cap.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 07:48 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
On the low coolant thing...many of us (me included) find that the coolant level in the degas bottle likes to settle in a little below the full line. Nobody knows where it goes

Old 12-08-2021, 08:00 AM
Hesson81
Tuned
Originally Posted by CJWisinski
Does your oil smell of diesel fuel? If coolant was getting into your oil it would turn colors and not be black black

Okay so yes, I just dabbed a bunch on a paper towel. Definitely smells like diesel fuel. What's the verdict?...lol..

Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Hesson81
Okay so yes, I just dabbed a bunch on a paper towel. Definitely smells like diesel fuel. What's the verdict?...lol..
The verdict? Send a sample in.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Hesson81
Tuned
Originally Posted by ESwift
Oil cooler orings would be oil in coolant or vice versa, diesel in coolant would be cracked injector cup(s) but siince his coolant may be a smodge low it shouldnt be that, it would fill more if fuel was getting into coolant. Coolant low may be from a hot tow and some overflow, or a tiny leak at a coolant hose clamp etc, water pump weep, generally not much concern if it is staying steady over time, at 3 years a flush and refill with new t-stat may be a maintenance item soon.

Oil pressure gauge is just for lpop, nothing accurate really. You obviously have lpop presure~truck is running, and at that mpg, seemingly very well.
I would say to just keep an eye on fluids over time to see if there is any Significant change. Or if your mog tanks, or if an odd sounds appears, power loss etc. Keep an eye out for boost leaks etc.

I have found thay a decent percentage of our "problems" we worry about are not really a problem or sign of one, and that trying to fix problems that arent really there can lead to frustration, expense, and worse problems. So do what you are doing~ take notes, pay attention to details, be alert to any changes, and ask for advice
I think you're spot on with the coolant. I think i just need to do it. Just throwing out what I know about the truck to see if anything equals this "making Oil" issue.

Good to know about gauge on cluster. Didn't know that was Lpop only..

So I infidelity have fuel in the oil. In my history of this truck Putting in 15 qts in during the oil change put the level dead nutts on the upper limit. In fact I alwasy expect to have to top off between intervals because I have a small oil pan gasket leak. But that never bothered me, But I shouldn't be making oil.. So there's a problem, just not sure how bad this is going to be... but yes, Frustration is there and it's real...

Old 12-08-2021, 08:11 AM
Hesson81
Tuned
Originally Posted by HKusp
The truck holds a full 16 quarts, sooo....if this is a new development, I would think there may be an injector o-ring issue and diesel is mixing in the oil, but that is a guess at this point. I would send a sample to either Blackstone or Schaeffers.

Oh I'm sure it holds 20 qts... But what is it supposed to Hold?? LOL Engine oil right, not tranny??? Thanks for the sample locations, I've never done that before...

Old 12-08-2021, 09:13 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Fuel in oil isnt common, and usually from washed cylinder walls from a cracked injector tip, or bad injector leaking fuel by into the cylinder when not running. Fuel would then leak by rings and into crankcase.
If you really suspect it, then you better send an oil sample out for analysis to verify.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:15 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ESwift
Fuel in oil isnt common, and usually from washed cylinder walls from a cracked injector tip, or bad injector leaking fuel by into the cylinder when not running. Fuel would then leak by rings and into crankcase.
If you really suspect it, then you better send an oil sample out for analysis to verify.
And then there is the whole diesel engine run away thing.....

Quick Reply: Oil level Rising..