Need Advice- Buy discounted 2017 or 2018? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Presented by the all-new Yokohama
Presented by the all-new Yokohama

Need Advice- Buy discounted 2017 or 2018?

Old 10-10-2017, 04:24 AM
Junior User

sjmaye is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need Advice- Buy discounted 2017 or 2018?

I am considering buying a new truck. Something I have never ever done. While I look at trucks it is the time of the year that the 2018's are on the lot along with the 2017's. The dealers state they are eager to "deal" and get the 2017's off the lot.

My question is are the "deals" on the 2017's really deals or business as usual? The sales and marketing model for the F-150's is complex. Virtually no two trucks totally alike make it tough to do price comparison shopping. The MSRP's are ridiculously high, but it appears they are always discounted. What varies is how much they are discounted.

A few questions in my head-
  1. What sort of normal discounting would you expect for a 2018?
  2. What sort of discounting would make buying a 2017 worthwhile?
  3. Trade-in's seem to make negotiating more difficult. Would I be better off trying to sell myself?
  4. The reason I have never bought a new truck is I am no good at haggling, but I want the best price. Any tips for negotiations?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 AM
Postmaster

JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.
20% of sticker is a good solid deal for a 2017. The 2018s are just hitting the lots so there won't be near as much off of MSRP on them.

Look at rebates on the Ford we site. Read the small print to see all you qualify for. Check the weekend papers for advertised deals, sometimes they can be really good as dealers get incentives for selling X number of vehicles. Other times that number is BS since they include every possible rebate like military, college grad, AQHA, etc. No one person will qualify for them all. Like I said, 20% of sticker is a good place to be. If it's in the 17-18% range and it's everything you want, then that would be good too. You could waste a whole lot of time trying to find it somewher else, then trying to get them to beat another dealer's price.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 AM
Junior User

JKBrad,

Thanks for the reply. A good rule of thumb 20% off for 2017, great. I am weighing this against buying 2018. What sort of discounts are normal for a 2018 during the model year? Trying to weigh if you are really saving money buying a discounted 2017 considering you are buying a year old product.

I will check the papers. Any thoughts about the online resources like cars.com etc?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:30 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
20% off as mentioned above is always a place I begin. It's fair and typically gets you pretty close to invoice but not always.

If haggling is a stumbling block for you then consider using a buying program such as COSTCO, USAA, and many others as well as see if you qualify for the Ford X plan through your employer or through a veterans group such the DAV.

But, the absolute most important thing that you can do is to educate yourself on what you want what you're willing to pay for it.

Check out Edmunds.com, Truecar, cars.com, etc. The unfortunate thing about many of the web based services is that they show you a fair price to pay regionally and not the best price to get.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:43 AM
Junior User

Where I struggle on what exactly I want is the myriad of equipment there is. As I research a dealer's inventory I find trucks with some, but not all the equipment. In my case in anticipation of purchasing a travel trailer I am focused on towing. I see these sorts of options for towing

Trailer tow package $895

Integrated Trailer brake controller $275

Max trailer tow package $1295

All I really want is a Lariat ready for towing a max of around 10,000#
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Postmaster

JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.
The rebates in any given model year generally increase as inventory goes up. In some parts of the country, like here in Texas, those rebates can become substantial as inventories are always high here. So, rebates have a lot to do with that final negotiated price. Wait until the end of winter or spring and rebates will be better on 2018s.

Also, if you are trading, know what your trade is worth. The dealer won't want to give a fair trade value in their first offer. They make more money selling used than new. Use Ford financing as that will usually get you another $1k or so. You can refinance at a lower rate after a payment or two. Plus it allows the dealer to make $200-300 by originating the note. That way the dealer will want to work with you more. If you go in and demand a rock bottom cash deal, they wont want to deal with you. Cash is not king in the car business.

Remember, it's a game. One that they are very good at and play every day. Go in on the last day of the month or after 6 on a Saturday. Do some research and find who their better sales reps are. They are motivated to get big sales numbers and will give up a little of their commission to get another sale if it puts them closer to a goal bonus.

Keep a smile on your face. Never let them know you're in love with the truck you're looking at or that it is equipped perfectly. Keep them guessing a little. And if you have to, remind them that Ford built a whole lot more just like the one you're looking at.

Don't be afraid to walk away, even if you really want it. If your offer was fair, they'll call back. Research the 4 square sales technique. If they do this to you, leave right away.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaye View Post
Where I struggle on what exactly I want is the myriad of equipment there is. As I research a dealer's inventory I find trucks with some, but not all the equipment. In my case in anticipation of purchasing a travel trailer I am focused on towing. I see these sorts of options for towing

Trailer tow package $895

Integrated Trailer brake controller $275

Max trailer tow package $1295

All I really want is a Lariat ready for towing a max of around 10,000#
If you are intending to tow 10,000 lbs, or in that neighborhood, you will want the max trailer tow plus the brake controller.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Junior User

JKBrad- Thanks for the negotiating tips. Say it is December 31, do you think it possible to achieve upwards of 20% off as currently with the outgoing 2017's?

GlueGuy- I really don't know how much I will be towing. I would want to be sure the capacity was there. So, you are saying I would forgo the $895 trailer tow package in favor of the Max trailer tow package. I see it significantly increases tow capacity. What does the Max Tow Package consist of?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Senior User

CR172 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Personally I would opt for the 2017 for several reasons. 1) discounts 2) the 6 speed tranny. The 10 speed is new and not yet proven. 3) engines. Ford has changed the 5.0 and it's not proven either. I'm not an EcoBoost fan yet.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM
New User

Billy Vaught is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...old-2017-cost/

If you can find a '17 that you like I would go with it personally. I hate dealing with car dealerships also. I bought a '17 5.0 Lariat in July and love it.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
Personally I would opt for the 2017 for several reasons. 3) engines. Ford has changed the 5.0 and it's not proven either. I'm not an EcoBoost fan yet.
From what I have seen here on the forum there are strong feelings either way on the ecoboost vs 5.0L V8. I did see a ford dealership do a video asking their Ford techs which they would buy. It was 9-2 in favor of the 5.0L V8. Top two reasons is V8 is proven and ecoboost turbos would be expensive to fix if they fail. This has me again looking to the V8.

Are you saying the 2018 V8 has been changed and the 207 is still OK?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Senior User

Quote:
From what I have seen here on the forum there are strong feelings either way on the ecoboost vs 5.0L V8. I did see a ford dealership do a video asking their Ford techs which they would buy. It was 9-2 in favor of the 5.0L V8. Top two reasons is V8 is proven and ecoboost turbos would be expensive to fix if they fail. This has me again looking to the V8.

Are you saying the 2018 V8 has been changed and the 207 is still OK?
Ford changed the 5.0 for 2018.

"The 5.0-liter also gets the same dual-injector technology, as well as a spray-on bore liner like the one found in the GT350 (for weight savings). Total horsepower is up from 385 to 395 horsepower, both coming in at 5,750 rpm. Torque is also up from 387 to 400, both at 3,850 rpm."

Here in lies the rub. If you want max tow you HAVE to get the 3.5 EB. And that goes for the '15 - '18 MY's.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
Here in lies the rub. If you want max tow you HAVE to get the 3.5 EB. And that goes for the '15 - '18 MY's.
This is what I see as well

The 2017 Towing Specs
only reference the Max Trailer Tow Package with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Why does it only benefit the 3.5L EB ?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Senior User

Quote:
This is what I see as well

The 2017 Towing Specs
only reference the Max Trailer Tow Package with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Why does it only benefit the 3.5L EB ?
Just look at the HP/torque numbers and curve. The 3.5 EB and 5.0 are basically equal at high RPM's. The 3.5 gets all it's torque at much lower RPM's making it a much better towing engine. I'm just not a turbo fan and the 5.0 has a much better sound.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Postmaster

If you want a 2018, you will pay more. The rebates aren't equal and there are still a lot of 2017s to be sold. A 2017 with a 5.0/6 speed is the most proven combo out there right now.

Plus, buying a 2017 at the end of the year gives you a bump on the yearly mileage average, so you'll be 12k miles ahead of the game as far as resale value goes.

If you really want an '18, just go make your best deal. It has a new grill, headlights, front bumper and tailgate. Uner the hood the 5.0 is in it's first year of being essentially re-engineered. The 3.5 EB is in it's 2nd year since being completely re-engineered. The Ford/GM 10 speed transmission is in it's 2nd year and it's first year behind the 5.0 and 2.7 EB.