up-pipe coating? and a few other questions - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

up-pipe coating? and a few other questions

Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Postmaster

JOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to beholdJOHN2001 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Southerners.

This is what a truck looks like after ~10 years of driving on salted roads in the winter (notice the door was replaced, probably because the rot got too bad):

They use salt because it lowers the freezing point of water so ice doesn't form on the roads as easily. It's usually mixed with cinders, gravel, or some other kind of traction aid as well.
NAILED IT!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
OK. I get it! I was not thinking about the "external corrosion factor" as being John's only justification for coating/wrapping the up-pipes. It's just not something I ever consider except when buying a used vehicle (for me, only salt-free vehicles are ever considered).
Old 10-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
I bought a salt free truck and last year (truck was 17 years old) when I replaced the OEM exhaust, the bolts popped loose without issue. I will never own another salt plagued vehicle again after living in the mid-west for a while. Ever...

Concerning the up-pipes, I say pass on the coating. In my opinion unless you were pulling some serious HP numbers, you are not going to notice a bit of difference.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.
Is there any thought about a wrap reducing engine noise?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Post Fiend

z31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to all
Heat wrap them, you will get less heat on the firewall.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
OK. I get it! I was not thinking about the "external corrosion factor" as being John's only justification for coating/wrapping the up-pipes. It's just not something I ever consider except when buying a used vehicle (for me, only salt-free vehicles are ever considered).
When you live in the rust belt, finding rust-free vehicles from the south is a real treat. It really is a whole different perspective on car shopping. Back when I joined FTE in 2002 and lived in Buffalo NY, I'd just bought a 1990 F-150 from a small dealership that specialized in shipping rust-free cars and trucks from the south. I had the most rust-free, 12 year old truck truck in WNY for one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I bought a salt free truck and last year (truck was 17 years old) when I replaced the OEM exhaust, the bolts popped loose without issue. I will never own another salt plagued vehicle again after living in the mid-west for a while. Ever...
Me either! I can't stand dealing with rusted fasteners rotted out bodies, frames, and spring hangers. I knew of one guy whose frame was rusted clean through and his truck was held together with a chain binder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Concerning the up-pipes, I say pass on the coating. In my opinion unless you were pulling some serious HP numbers, you are not going to notice a bit of difference.
I agree with this. It's an extra 1% of power which is worth it if that's what you need out of your motor. The vast majority of us don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Heat wrap them, you will get less heat on the firewall.
What problems result from the heat of unwrapped pipes on the firewall? My up pipes aren't wrapped and my firewall doesn't seem to be melting or catching on fire.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.Walleye Hunter has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
When you live in the rust belt, finding rust-free vehicles from the south is a real treat. It really is a whole different perspective on car shopping. Back when I joined FTE in 2002 and lived in Buffalo NY, I'd just bought a 1990 F-150 from a small dealership that specialized in shipping rust-free cars and trucks from the south. I had the most rust-free, 12 year old truck truck in WNY for one year.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Post Fiend

z31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to all
Less cabin heat from the fire wall, stick your hand there and youll feel it
Old 10-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Less cabin heat from the fire wall, stick your hand there and youll feel it
Again what problems does this cause?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Freshman User

ff lc freak is starting off with a positive reputation.
I got a box of goodies in the mail from Riff Raff today!

Now I just need to find some time to install all of it. I'll take pics when I'm done.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
It will feel like a completely different truck with the new parts on there if the old ones are worn and/or leaking. Keep us posted on the progress and enjoy working on it.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Senior User

mjtpolice76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wrapped mine didn’t cost much

Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Posting Guru

HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice job! Looks like they came that way.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.
I smell a rat! These can't be the same up-pipes, look at where the bellows are.
Edit: I'm an idiot. Thought it was the same guy posting. Clearly one of these is an e99 or maybe an OBS. I forget what my e99 up-pipes look like..

Old 10-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Senior User

Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the hpop lines... you will most likely want to either reseal the old fittings with new orings or just do what I did and replace the fittings....