6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

top tier diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Apparently Top Tier for diesel has nothing to do with cetane, which is around 40 for the US versus 51+ for Europe. It does have to do with stability, lubricity, water content and particulate count.
It doesn't matter if it is delivered by the same truck as the place down the street as long as the Top Tier additives are added in the prescribed amount.
And detergents.

Relative to the ASTM D975 and D7467 specifications for diesel and biodiesel blended fuel in the U.S., the TOP TIER™ Diesel Performance Standard requires detergents to reduce deposits on the fuel injectors (both internal and external), improve lubricity (less wear on injectors and in the engine), improve fuel stability (less deposits in the fuel system components), and provide more protection against water and particulates that may be in the fuel before you dispense it into your vehicle or equipment.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I took the bait. Let me get on the Internet and poke around at that "top tier diesel" claim. So I find the list - Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas. One would think there there would be a list for Gas and a list for Diesel. There is no separation - in fact there's nothing but a blurb on what Top Tier Diesel is and everything else is about Top Tier Gas.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:13 PM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there is certainly an argument on Unleaded type fuel as to some being better or worse based on additives. Again in most cases the fuel is all coming from the same place so the only real difference is made when it goes into the tanker hauling the fuel, that's often where the additives (cleaners and other magical BS) are inserted.

When it comes to D though, it's really just more about how clean it is, and how often it is turned over. Even the absolute best D will turn to junk in time if it is sitting in a tank that doesn't see a lot of use, or they do not have a good water separation process before it gets pumped into your tank.

On that note, I would say yes Costco does have great Diesel fuel, but really that's only because it doesn't have time to sit in the ground for very long, and like most places, they run it through a filter from the ground to the pump. Where I get leery of some stations is in more urban areas or where there is only one pump in the entire station that even has D. If it's not a fuel they sell a lot of, you may be pumping something that has been sitting for a while, or they do not put as much effort into keep in clean before you finally get to use it.

In that case "Top Tier" really just means "new and clean."

Old 10-11-2017, 02:32 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
A little off topic but my understanding is that where the top tier gasoline becomes especially important is with the new gas direct injected engines.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
A little more research shows that Costco Does not offer the same diesel at all places. Check that link then look at the state. San Diego CA does not have this diesel..... So it seems to be limited.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Readgriff
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I understand there is a difference in gasoline with the additives added to the gas
With these combinations of additives added to the gas gets a Top Tier approval.
This being said this would be the same for diesel fuel.
So buying diesel fuel with this label you would get fuel that meets Top Tier specification.
I would buy this fuel if it was in my area and I hope it comes to West Michigan.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:23 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
A little more research shows that Costco Does not offer the same diesel at all places. Check that link then look at the state. San Diego CA does not have this diesel..... So it seems to be limited.
CA requires 50 cetane diesel so the Costco diesel there will surpass most of the country.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:16 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Top tier must mean there is no “water” or “def” in the fuel….the two things that ford says cuases cp4 failure.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:24 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Top tier must mean there is no “water” or “def” in the fuel….the two things that ford says cuases cp4 failure.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:38 PM
6.7L
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You may want to read into and have a better understanding how the energy sector works.
Basically, all fuel, name brand or otherwise, all comes from the same refinery holding tanks of respective grade. since delivery is an added fee, retailer usually buy it from the closest location of a delivery radius.
Another word, Shell, Exxon, BP, Costco, Loves, Casey, Flying J, 7-11 etc, all come from the same tank. The only difference being the additive under the name brand, usually market under the trademark (Detergent formula, Fuel saver, Knock eliminator or whatever), which are all just a strategies to hype up the value for the added benefits and lead the consumers to believe it's a better product, thus welling to pay more. Since these added agent is not regulated, adding even just 1oz of additive in a 5000gal delivery, its not misleading but usually no measurable benefit can be detected.

Old 12-24-2023, 05:13 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.7L
You may want to read into and have a better understanding how the energy sector works.
Basically, all fuel, name brand or otherwise, all comes from the same refinery holding tanks of respective grade. since delivery is an added fee, retailer usually buy it from the closest location of a delivery radius.
Another word, Shell, Exxon, BP, Costco, Loves, Casey, Flying J, 7-11 etc, all come from the same tank. The only difference being the additive under the name brand, usually market under the trademark (Detergent formula, Fuel saver, Knock eliminator or whatever), which are all just a strategies to hype up the value for the added benefits and lead the consumers to believe it's a better product, thus welling to pay more. Since these added agent is not regulated, adding even just 1oz of additive in a 5000gal delivery, its not misleading but usually no measurable benefit can be detected.
There is a requirement in line item 4 to reduce water contamination. I suspect this requirement is met via filtration at the pump.

Old 12-24-2023, 07:32 PM
6.7L
Cross-Country
Top Tier is register trademark of Costco, call it whatever....God's Diesel if you will.
Howes Diesel Treat offer the same property enhancement, including removing water. That's what I use, it cost $13 for a 64oz bottle that treats 320 gal, that's $.04 premium to a gal. I add that at each fill up, thus I know its in the fuel I burn.

Old 12-24-2023, 08:03 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.7L
Top Tier is register trademark of Costco, call it whatever....God's Diesel if you will.
Howes Diesel Treat offer the same property enhancement, including removing water. That's what I use, it cost $13 for a 64oz bottle that treats 320 gal, that's $.04 premium to a gal. I add that at each fill up, thus I know its in the fuel I burn.
I would say every Shell, Exxon, Chevron, Phillips 66 and I'm sure there are others that sell Top Tier gasoline in my area, and only Costco sells Top Tier diesel in my area.

The TOP TIER™ Diesel Fuel program is currently sponsored and overseen by General Motors, Volkswagen, Daimler Truck, Navistar and Ford

Old 12-24-2023, 08:05 PM
BC2019F250
Tuned
Received 210 Likes on 105 Posts
Top Tier is not registered to Costco. Top Tier is sponsored by auto makers.

https://www.toptiergas.com/about-top-tier/#sponsors

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-24-2023, 08:57 PM
6.7L
Cross-Country
Okay, I must misunderstood the sticker at the Costco pumps... I thought it was their TM

Quick Reply: top tier diesel