6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dropped a bolt into oblivion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The valley of death" that's funny.

I remember dropping a rubber seal under the HPOP when doing the STC fitting, after it dropped and fell, I prayed an "Oh Lord help" prayer, thinking how am I able to retrieve it without the thing falling down the real valley of death.
I saw it down there wedged in, ended up fishing for it. Very technical position to be in for sure. Anything you drop down there really makes you groan.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
While replacing my injectors, I dropped a "special tool" down the rear oil return on the passenger side cylinder head. It was a common screwdriver with no handle and the tip curved around to pop out the glowplug connectors from the inside (it worked great....until I dropped it) After buttoning up the top end, I got to go below and undo motor mounts, radiator hoses etc. and jack the engine up to get the oil pan off and retrieve the tool. On my 4x4. Not fun at all. No lift, just a nice big floor jack, jack stands, and a lot of pieces of 2x4 and 4x4 wood. I did find it laying in the bottom of the pan. I'm thinking of putting it on a chain and wearing it around my neck lol.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
If you’re sure it ended in the pan you could have left it - bits of chain tensioner were in my mini pan for a long time without any harm. Mind you if you’re not 100% sure...

Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I found a socket I lost once upon a time working on a 1972 Dodge. I found
the silly thing when I pulled the engine. It was sitting on the starter in a little
nook like spot. It would of taken a good bounce to get it to fall out.
Not to drag this thread anymore OT but I found this on my 2006 a few weeks ago tucked up by the driver's side battery. It's not mine. I bet to this day someone is wondering where their 1/4 drive and 8mm socket are.

Name:  20171010_164633.jpg
Views: 3138
Size:  145.5 KB

Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
Not to drag this thread anymore OT but I found this on my 2006 a few weeks ago tucked up by the driver's side battery. It's not mine. I bet to this day someone is wondering where their 1/4 drive and 8mm socket are.

Attachment 246890
By all means, drag it on. I feel a little better knowing it's not just me. Some good ones for sure. Can't wait till I find where my bolt ended up.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Ok so I was doing some work on a Piper PA-28 "Arrow" or Yard Dart if you feel that way about that plane.
I was replacing the instrument panel after doing some rewiring and lighting
socket replacement. There age was catching up to them. I had most of it in and was installing a screw and
washer and dropped it. It went bouncing around. I was almost ready to pull the inside of that plane apart for
one stupid screw and washer. I did not want it to jam something of cross some wiring. I got lucky and had
asked for some help looking and it was found sitting on some molding nowhere near where it fell.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:32 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4

Attachment 246890
That looks like the one I lost .... it is a SnapOn isn't it?

I can PM my address

Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by bismic

I can PM my address

Are you sure that is not one of the Lowes or HomeDepot knock-offs?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Lol. My wife walks a lot and finds a ton of tools that fall off of contractors trucks. Pretty much all the cheap stuff. I keep hoping for a SnapOn ratchet, but at least I keep getting new Crapsman ones when mine break.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I got a free 1/4” Snap-On u-joint that I found by my passenger wiper pivot shaft 3 years after my motor was replaced at the dealer. You need that Mark?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I got 2 circular saw blades and wrench in the "new" truck.
I was hearing a a metal clank in the back seat and could never find
it. When I stopped in at Costco to pick up some stuff and had to drop
both sides of the under seat platform and that is when I happened
to see the stuff in it hiding spot.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic

I can PM my address
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Are you sure that is not one of the Lowes or HomeDepot knock-offs?
LOL! Yeah it's a "Stanley" branded one. Thought I might have really scored when I first saw it.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Husky did the same design.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 AM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here you go for another story.

When I did my oil cooler/egr cooler/stand pipes/dummy plugs/STC fitting change, I was in a hurry to get started and without thinking I grabbed a 12 point socket to take the turbo out. That only lead to me stripping the head off the back turbo bolt on my 2006. I lost about 5 hours trying different things like going to town and buying some of those Irwin sockets to take off stripped bolt heads, and then returning to town the next day to buy a dremel with the flex wand and cutting wheels and just cut the head off. My dad was amazed at how easy the rest of the bolt came out of the pedestal.

The next mess up was when I was ready to put the HPOP back in after changing the STC fitting. I had placed the o-ring on the tube but at the last second I decided to use compressed air to blow out the bolt holes to make sure there wasn't any oil in them. That lead to the o-ring flying away. It took me about 30 minutes to find it back on the transmission.

After putting the drivers side valve cover back on, I found I had one bolt missing. After a quick search around the area, I decided to take the cover back off to make sure that it hadn't fallen inside the engine. Then after not finding it inside, I crawled under the truck again and started feeling around and finally found it up on top of the frame. That one cost me about an hour.

When I was doing the passenger side stand pipe, I had to take it out in 2 pieces. To pull it out, I had put a drift punch in the holes and was yanking on it. It finally flew out and went somewhere and I was assuming that my 75 year old father that was helping me had picked it up (on a side note, funny how I remember helping him work on things and I was the go-for and now he is helping me and being my go-for). Now after I was done and having the truck back together and putting all the tools away, I recalled that I did not see the punch. Not thinking too much about it I had just assumed my dad had misplaced it or claimed it as one of his tools since we were using out of both our tool boxes. Well, a few months later after reading more on FTE and getting something else to be paranoid about, I was crawling under the truck looking at my cab mounts and what do you think I found. Yep, the top half of the stand pipe with the punch still wedged in it laying on top of the frame by the coil spring. It had been happily riding there for at least 1,500 miles.

And lastly, when I was putting the glow plug relay back on, I dropped one of the nuts. I looked for a few minutes, but since I was anxious to get the truck running and figured that it hadn't dropped into a critical area, I just skipped it and bought one later.

So I hope this gives you something to chuckle about.

Kevin

Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I just found two rusty nuts in the valley from when the Ford dealer installed this motor. So yeah, now I’m paranoid ......

Quick Reply: Dropped a bolt into oblivion