Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

OEM Hankook?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM
BrianF-250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Hankook?

Just purchasing a 2017 150 crew cab 157” 4wd with 3.5EB. It is coming with the OEM Hankook dynopros on the 20” rims. What is the general consensus on these tires? I ask because when I bought my 2011 250 it came with Continental Contitrac and they were the worst tires I have ever owned. I live in the mountains of Colorado and would love to run these through the winter if possible without changing to a snow tire. I have never had any Hankook’s before but have heard decent things about them. I am curious about opinions from other owners.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2017, 06:24 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I did (another) search of this forum using the key word "hankook". Not a lot to go on, but I expect they will last as little as 35k and maybe 50. They might get noisy after some wear.

I have less than 4k on my truck so nothing to report except they are quiet, ride nicely, and seem to stick to the road quite well. (Of course with the 20s you get a nice wide tire so it should stick....)

I have not done much wet weather driving yet, but the few times I've been out, no issues. I am still driving this thing like the old _art that I am, as it's "Arrest Me Red" and once the turbos spool up those tires start to let go a little. I haven't had a speeding ticket since '85 and want to keep it that way!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My '15 came with Hankook's and they were completely done at 35K miles. All 4 were worn evenly and completely to the wear bars. That's when I did the level and larger tires. I have about 10K miles on the Falken's and they are wearing very evenly also. Not much wear though.

So, from my experience, I would not buy Hankook's...

Old 10-03-2017, 08:49 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
My 2011 came with the Dynapro tires but in 17 inch. They rode very well, were smooth, quiet and at 48K when I replaced them, they still had about 6/32's or tread remaining.

I think I may have been happier with them in a less powerful truck. Traction sucked when the roads were dry not to mention wet roads. They were horrible in the snow and to say the least, I'd never buy them intentionally.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Slowtrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by CR172
My '15 came with Hankook's and they were completely done at 35K miles. All 4 were worn evenly and completely to the wear bars. That's when I did the level and larger tires. I have about 10K miles on the Falken's and they are wearing very evenly also. Not much wear though.

So, from my experience, I would not buy Hankook's...

I did some research because my '17 has Hankooks and I don't trust low end tires and other cheap junk.

Interesting that you came to the same conclusion, Wonder how that is possible.

However, you can have your Falkens I much prefer Michelins based on lots of prior experience.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Tx.Hoon
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I just picke up an '18 SCREW and it also has the Hankooks. I don't know much about the tires as I have always had the Michelin LTX M/S tires on my trucks.

Time will tell...

Old 10-04-2017, 06:36 AM
WhiteEx
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2015 came with 4 275/55-20 Hankooks (highway tread, not off road) and a Goodyear spare. I hated the Hankooks because I didn't like the name and because they weren't made in the US. I couldn't wait for them to wear out, but they wouldn't. Finally at 63,000 I replaced them, but they still had probably 6 months to a year left. And they were much better on wet pavement than I care to admit. I replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar and am very happy with them. They are quiet and seem to be wearing well, though I only have about 5k on them so far. Yes, i put a lot of miles on.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM
BrianF-250
Freshman User
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping they would be good in the snow but after reading what tseekins said I will have to see how they do. My biggest concern is also the torque that truck puts out. I drive in a lot of snow. I test drove the truck in the pouring rain and every time we hit the gas it spun the tires up. It is going to take some getting use to this turbo. Much quicker to spin up than my old diesels.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Tdog02
Junior User
I can't speak to the snow (TX) but for highway and wet roads the Hankook's on my screw have been fantastic. If you are buying new then there are lots of options in the price range but they are not bad for a OEM truck tire. I'm over 21k miles approaching my first year of ownership on my 2016 and they are not showing any wear. Mine are 18's but I can't see how it would be much different with 20's. I'm usually a Michelin guy and have been surprised by these Korean tires. Very quiet.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 AM
laketrout
Senior User
I put them on my 2011 size 275/60/20. I thought they were ok until one day my truck suddenly was going sideways downhill on a wet road. Only lasted 30k miles. Replaced with Coopers = much better.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Which Dynapros do you have? I think the F150s come with the HT. I put the Dynapro ATMs in an LT on my 4Runner about 6000 miles ago. I have actually been really happy with them.

I've had them in the desert in soft dirt and in shale, and they've performed very well. No deep snow, but I hit snow/slush/rain (including a ridiculous micorburst that was practically flooding I-80 as I drove) coming home from Nevada last month on the highway, and I felt like I had good grip in all conditions. I do slow down for conditions, so that can make a difference.

I used to go to Revos as my go-to AT tire for the 80/20 highway/offroad I usually do. The Revos are pretty universally rated as excellent in wet conditions. I felt just as grippy with the Hankooks.

Whether they last or not, I'll still have to see. I don't care about noise, but grip I do care about. Though having two vehicles, by the time these reach 40K miles, it'll be four years and time for new tires regardless.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:22 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowtrucker
I did some research because my '17 has Hankooks and I don't trust low end tires and other cheap junk.

Interesting that you came to the same conclusion, Wonder how that is possible.

However, you can have your Falkens I much prefer Michelins based on lots of prior experience.
And you can keep your Michelins........ over priced POS

Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 AM
Slowtrucker
Senior User

You might want to consider supporting those allegations with some facts. I am sure EVERYONE wants to know REAL facts instead of your overblown opinions.

Just to be clear lets lay out the field you have defined.

1. Prove that Michelins are over priced. Or withdraw the post like a real man.

2. Prove that Michelins are POS or admit that you are just trying to pick a fight.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
My Hankook Dynapro tires were of the HT vintage. I've seen the AT version and they look much more capable. If the AT's wear as good as the HT's did on my truck then one might have a great tire.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
The French don't do a lot of things well........ Cooking, maybe.

And tires. Nobody can touch Michelins. Nobody.

I've hit curbs at 70 MPH, bounced off of jagged rocks, hit a 15" sidewalk step smack dab in the corner and the truck fell off of it, cruised at 100 MPH on my Michelin LT's (or whatever they're called).

Goodyears just simply suck. Bad. BFG's are quite possibly the most overrated tires on Earth. Firestone is okay in a pinch. Desert Duelers (whoever make those) are absolute junk.

I remember a State Trooper back in the early 60's telling me about his 'Radio' Tires on his Patrol Car(he was the father of a friend) as I nodded in disbelief.

I remember when Sears first introduced Michelins as a Sears tire in the 70's. I was young and working part time as a tire buster. They were incredible. People just couldn't believe they no longer needed to put studs in their tires for the snow or wrap stupid chains around them or change them out to snow tires and back once a year.

While Goodyear was making Polyglas (pure freaking junk) and Firestone was making Redline tires (slightly better but not much)

Not only that, I saw cars pull into the garage with 80,000 miles on their Sears/Michelin tires.

Then came the excuses, myths and downright lies about how you couldn't rotate them or had to have a specially tuned suspension.

Michelin rules. And they have for a long, long time. It didn't just happen overnight.

Sometimes, they make a bad series. But overall, nobody can touch them.

Not yet anyway

Quick Reply: OEM Hankook?