1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So I got tired of my faded plastic moldings...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:55 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
There must be a lot of products for this, I had a Harley buddy tell me PJ-1 was the besthttp://pj1.com/i-19004779-pj1-renew-protect.html . I thought I'd try some to see if it would help the window seals on my 30 year old Mercedes, it's on my Amazon wish list. I think I used Forever Black on that car's plastics about 15 years ago and I was amazed how long it lasted. I'll have to go out to the garage and see if I have any left of whatever I used

Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
So it is just a paint additive? Does it just soak in to the plastic or does it actually leave a layer on top? Is it slippery when wet?
Ok, I can't answer if it soaks in but I would say it leaves a layer on top. This layer dry has very good grip. I sprayed down one of the steps and checked to see if it was slippery. I would say the water does effect the grip BUT I would not say it's slippery. My shoes squeaked like basketball shoes on a court. I'm very impressed with the coverage and initial look of everything. Time will tell how it holds up.

I've tried a lot of products, this beats everything on initial appearance!

Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Brush instead of spray paint eliminates the need to remove the trim first. Interested to see how this works out for you as you go.

Looks good

Old 10-04-2017, 04:29 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
My take,

I'm an avid boater and have witnessed people selling they're chalked up boats put this on. Looks great, but it also softens whatever you apply it to and taking it to any of our plastic just gives it a homecoming shine until homecoming is over with and then the problems start.

I SAW A GUY PUT IT ON A SIMULATED NONSKID DECK ON A BOAT, DISASTER RESULT.

After time and in the sun his simulated non skid was a melted footprinted mess.

I'm old school marine water guy and also have had plenty of show cars.

I have used this product on my military vessels and for detailing everything exposed that's made of rubber or plastic. It's the bomb and does more long term good than harm and does not have a downside.

It's aerospace 303 protectent. Comes in a spray bottle or jug, whichever you prefer. It's not cheap, but the result is instant and lasts quite awhile without any molecular damage whatsoever. A 16 oz spray bottle takes me thru the summer on 3 vehicles, including tires, a fifth wheel and my 30 foot trophy.

You can buy it at the big stores and most auto places in the wax section.

I would get away from using flood. It's nothing more than a keyed down mix of kerosene/acetone whatever. (it thins paint and anything made of oil which our plastic trim is.)

Just a heads up.

Denny

Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
I just sprayed my running boards last year with a plastic paint from autozone. Looked great. Diver side is already starting to wear off. Maybe I just need a new F-450 Limited for $95K! Lol

Old 10-04-2017, 09:40 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Restoring old motorcycle plastics, I've used Mothers Back to Black.

It isn't black in color, so can be used on different colors, though I never had it on anything light, you'd want to test if you wanted to try it.

I believe it adds the oils/petroleum back to the plastic to restore it, not like a paint. Put it on and let it soak in a bit.

Here it is.

From Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by DieselDenny

I have used this product on my military vessels and for detailing everything exposed that's made of rubber or plastic. It's the bomb and does more long term good than harm and does not have a downside.

It's aerospace 303 protectent. Comes in a spray bottle or jug, whichever you prefer. It's not cheap, but the result is instant and lasts quite awhile without any molecular damage whatsoever. A 16 oz spray bottle takes me thru the summer on 3 vehicles, including tires, a fifth wheel and my 30 foot trophy.

Denny
I bought some of that a few years ago after someone mentioned it, maybe it was you. I've used it on my vehicles inside and out and am very happy with it. However it does not stay on for a long time, maybe that's good. Whatever I used on the Mercedes lasted years. I looked in my locker of stuff for the Mercedes and there was Wesley's Black Magic and Forever Black. Pretty sure it was the Forever Black that lasted the longest, it was a newer bottle than the Wesley's which means it was the last stuff I used, years ago.

I continue to use the 303 on my dash and on the Ford plastic trim. I even use it under the hood on all the plastics.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
My take,

I'm an avid boater and have witnessed people selling they're chalked up boats put this on. Looks great, but it also softens whatever you apply it to and taking it to any of our plastic just gives it a homecoming shine until homecoming is over with and then the problems start.

I SAW A GUY PUT IT ON A SIMULATED NONSKID DECK ON A BOAT, DISASTER RESULT.

After time and in the sun his simulated non skid was a melted footprinted mess.

I'm old school marine water guy and also have had plenty of show cars.

You can buy it at the big stores and most auto places in the wax section.

I would get away from using flood. It's nothing more than a keyed down mix of kerosene/acetone whatever. (it thins paint and anything made of oil which our plastic trim is.)

Just a heads up.

Denny
I've used Aerospace 303, you're right it's expensive but it does NOT last. My guess is that your "guy" was using something else and not Penetrol. I don't think you really know what's in Penetrol because there is NO "kerosene or acetone whatever", in it as you stated above. I'm not even sure what your source was for that information. But in general misinformed statements just spreads misinformation and doesn't help anyone.

Here's a discription directly from the makers: Penetrol is an air drying, film forming, deeply penetrating mixture of natural oils .
So as you can see it's actually made from the same material our plastic are made of...oil.

Below are several links providing factual information on Penetrol.

The Flood Company Australia » Paint Additives » penetrol

http://www.floodaustralia.net/brochu...-factsheet.pdf

In the link below they address the difference between Penetrol and a general paint thinner like "kerosene and acetone."
http://www.floodaustralia.net/brochu...l-brochure.pdf

They even make a Penetrol Marine version specifically for use on boats!

The Flood Company Australia » Marine Products » penetrol-marine

So based on this fact based information, I feel pretty safe using it on my truck.

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2017, 05:16 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Which of these will last at least a year, and cause no damage?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Joshua Dishong
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My previous truck was an Avalanche, and love em or hate em they sure have a hell of a lot of plastic and the sun really beats the hell out of it. I found this stuff about 7 years ago on the recommendation of members in an Avalanche forum. At the time, it was only available from one random body shop in the north east and went for like $68 / qt, and the shop was selling it faster than they could order and get it in...I purchased a quart back in 2010 and used it extensively on both my Av and brother-in-laws jeep. You wipe it on with a rag (surface needs to be clean, cool, and dry) then let it dry for a few minutes and then lightly buff back off with a clean lint free rag. It's a night and day difference and I would typically apply it at the beginning of the summer and again in the fall at the same time I waxed the truck and there was never any build up.

It's called refinish restorer and its now available on Amazon (
Amazon Amazon
)

Amazing stuff, and 7 years later I'd still have plenty of the original quart left if I hadn't left the cap off and spilt it all over the garage floor...oh well, at least it's a lot cheaper now!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dn29626
Which of these will last at least a year, and cause no damage?
There's a LOT of good products on the market the problem I've run into is they don't last here in Colorado. I don't know if it's the elevation or the 330+ days of Sun we average. I've used Aerospace 303 on my Softtop on my Jeep, it looks awesome for about 2 months and it's expensive. I wanted something that works and lasts longer than 2-3 months. I work too hard to throw my money away.

Through my research the Flood Company has been around since 1861 founded in Australia. Australia is an island surrounded by salt water and relentless Sun and heat. This combination makes for the need for a product that makes paint stick and looks good for a long time, stops rust and protects wood. Major shipping companies use their products in some pretty extreme conditions, this alone makes me consider their products for my use.
Use whatever you want but don't settle just because the product doesn't have fancy advertising or a pretty bottle. I'm very interested in seeing how Penetrol lasts here in Colorado.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Colorado350
I'm very interested in seeing how Penetrol lasts here in Colorado.
I am too and will be expecting updates!

Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Well... I bought " Flood " at Lowe's. Did the top of rear bumper...and the OEM plastic side runners. Looks GREAT ! But we'll see how it works out over the next few months.

I'll hold my opinion for a few months, as most of the other OTC stuff hasn't done well for me over time

Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Any updates on how the Flood treatment is doing on the trim?

Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster

Here's a picture for reference from September 2017. This is what I was dealing with...
Originally Posted by brian42
Any updates on how the Flood treatment is doing on the trim?

Hey Brandon, here a picture of the running board from Saturday Feb 24. I meant to take more pictures but got distracted by a Husky that wanted to play. I'll try and take a few more pics if I get home before dark tonight.

That's my 13 year old Husky aka Hercules. LOL

That's just shy of 5 months.

Quick Reply: So I got tired of my faded plastic moldings...