Towing a trailer that weighs 10,000lbs or more - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Toy Hauler Towing; Fifth Wheel & Bumper Pull
Reload this Page > Towing a trailer that weighs 10,000lbs or more
Notices

Towing a trailer that weighs 10,000lbs or more

Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Ferguson65 View Post
What dealer did you buy from? Saw Schaeffers had an authorized Spartan service center decal on the window. We've been happy with them so far, he'l this year they turned it around in a week. That's crazy fast even for them.
We bought it up at Colton's RV in North Tonawanda NY, near Niagara Falls. When we decided we wanted a Spartan, Schaeffers wasnt selling them. I wish they had been. Its not too crazy to go up there, my wife has family up there. Maybe when its time to upgrade we'll check out Schaeffer's...lol...

Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM
DuallyMike
Junior User
DuallyMike has a good reputation on FTE.DuallyMike has a good reputation on FTE.DuallyMike has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HDBiker67 View Post
Scott,
Did you schedule your road test yet? I finally got my permit today up in Bethlehem and they said they dont do the Class A test anymore because they dont have room for back up maneuvers. They said they only do Class B now. I asked since when, and she said a couple years. I thought Duallymike said he took his test there recently. They told me I had to go up to Schuylkill Haven or Dublin.
Hey guys, don't know what the deal is. I did my test there but can't remember the year. It had to de either 2014 0r 2016. And the parking area they did it was huge. All I had to do was maneuver between the lines at end of parking lot. I would check with the main officer if I were you, as when I did mine he was training a new person to do it. I'll look back and see if I have any of my paperwork to figure out when it was .

Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 PM
HDBiker67
Senior User
HDBiker67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by DuallyMike View Post
Hey guys, don't know what the deal is. I did my test there but can't remember the year. It had to de either 2014 0r 2016. And the parking area they did it was huge. All I had to do was maneuver between the lines at end of parking lot. I would check with the main officer if I were you, as when I did mine he was training a new person to do it. I'll look back and see if I have any of my paperwork to figure out when it was .
Hey Mike,
Yeah I talked to the guy that gives the CDL tests. He said they stopped doing the class A a couple years ago, they still don't class B.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:22 AM
DuallyMike
Junior User
DuallyMike has a good reputation on FTE.DuallyMike has a good reputation on FTE.DuallyMike has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HDBiker67 View Post
Hey Mike,
Yeah I talked to the guy that gives the CDL tests. He said they stopped doing the class A a couple years ago, they still don't class B.
Well, I can't find my paperwork but I think it was 2014. I was looking around on-line and saw they were offering a non Penndot site test. Supposed to be a 18 month trial period started 5/17. Maybe you could see if they extended it. There was supposed to be a site in Bucks, but I couldn't find where. That's going to be a PITA for you and Scott to have to drive to Schulkill Haven.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
It's so nice when you try to do something the right way only to have the state make it a complete hassle. Schuylkill Haven isn't a deal breaker, but Allentown is better! Excuse to go to Cabelas. We do have a site booked in Hershey for May, could make it a stop on the way. Just have to leave the wife and little monster off first. Hmm......

Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 AM
DuallyMike
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ferguson65 View Post
It's so nice when you try to do something the right way only to have the state make it a complete hassle. Schuylkill Haven isn't a deal breaker, but Allentown is better! Excuse to go to Cabelas. We do have a site booked in Hershey for May, could make it a stop on the way. Just have to leave the wife and little monster off first. Hmm......
My thought exactly. I thought the run around I got was bad enough. And I figured you could use another excuse to hit up Cabelas. I don't know who exactly HD Biker talked to. For sh__s and giggles this am I called to see if I could find out why Allentown didn't do it anymore. All the numbers they list go directly to the call center. Lady told me there is no way for you to talk to anyone at a DMV center by phone, you would have to go there in person. HD said he talked to a guy, but that wouldn't jive with what she told me today unless he went to the Allentown DMV. And she also said the call center wouldn't have information on whether or not a specific DMV can do a non commercial skills test. Allentown does have an awesome set up. If you look on Google satellite you can see all of the lines in the parking lot. I went in, entered first access and drove around parking lot to park by the grass. All he had me do was pull ahead and back from one set of yellow lines to the other. Then a 4 mile road trip, and DONE! Hope you guys can get sorted out by end of summer!!!